BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Buying in Mulege (The Orchards?)
BajaBuddies

[*] posted on 12-22-2022 at 07:48 PM
Buying in Mulege (The Orchards?)

Hi All,

My fiancé and I are looking at properties for purchase in Baja and found a casita for sale in The Orchards in Mulege that ticks all of the boxes from what we can tell. We were in Mulege last year and really like the town and community, so we were excited to find a property in our budget in the area.

We are aware of the risk of flooding and have read up on the seemingly semi-annual storms and especially Hurricane John in 2006, which looks like it more or less leveled the community.

Before we make it too far into the purchase process, we would love to pick someone's brain who is familiar with The Orchards community - maybe a resident? We would be happy to chat on the phone if that is more your style! We have a few big questions below that we are hoping to dig into.

We really appreciate the input!

---Insurance---
-If if it floods (as I have heard it does relatively regularly), will insurance cover all damage including total loss?
-Does any one have personal experience with making an insurance claim for full or partial loss/damage- maybe someone who lived in the Orchards in 2006 and had to use insurance to rebuild your home?

----Airplane-----
-When we stayed at Hotel Serenided last March we noticed a nice airstrip adjacent to the hotel. Does anyone know if it's okay to store a small Cessna there for a few months at a time?

----Community----
-Does anyone on the board actively live in the Orchards? We are hoping for any additional insight into management, HOA, quality of life, etc.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 12:05 PM

Hola

I own a place in the Oasis. I have had my underwater home for 8 years. The first year we had hurricane Odile. Our place is simple concrete block construction. The flood water did not reach the ceiling. We had insurance and it more than covered the clean up costs.

In the Oasis we refer to the Orchard as “our first line of defence” since the flood waters hit harder there given the narrower part of the Rio in that location.

We love our place. I know a lot of people who live in the Orchard and have gone through numerous hurricanes. They still love their homes. Those little places must have been built well.

My advice is to get in cheap, buy insurance and drink more if it floods😎
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 03:10 PM

numerous societies around the world have learned to build houses that can deal with frequent flooding. Learn from them and you'll be just fine in the Orchard. The amount of flood water generated in the watershed behind Mulege is incredible. The high position of the Mission and the village houses in Mulege tell you how to deal with it best. If you insist on living/building in the area where the flood waters are 8 ft hight you'll have to spend some extra money to protect your furniture. And you may want to plan for the 15 ft flood waters.

[Edited on 12-24-2022 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 03:58 PM

Beyond the inevitable flooding threat, the other consideration I would have is; isn't most of that ground held on a lease basis?
I have known folks whom have had a place on the river there, (some built pretty elaborate homes), none of them had an escritura, or fideicomiso, just a long term lease agreement with the legal owner.

Something to consider if that's the case. People change, re-marry, pass on and leave to heirs, and the original agreement/lease could change. Although there have been long term successful leases in this country, the failed ones are well documented, and not just on Ejido land.

Due diligence is in order here. Like the above entry, if you cannot get title of what you are buying, and you are determined to follow through with it, you better get it super cheap.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 04:25 PM

Why not live where it doesn't flood? It would be easier? Baja has tons of open spaces even beach front for cheap?
baja-chris
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 05:24 PM

I would be shocked if flood insurance can still be purchased in that floodplain after so many losses the last 20 years.

Regarding aircraft, there have been several stolen from that strip over the years and even some taken at gunpoint. Make sure you can insure that as well.

Beautiful place BTW.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
numerous societies around the world have learned to build houses that can deal with frequent flooding. Learn from them and you'll be just fine in the Orchard. The amount of flood water generated in the watershed behind Mulege is is devastating. The position of the Mission and the village houses in Mulege tell you how to deal with it best. If you insist on living/building in the are where the flood waters are 8 ft hight you'll have to spend some extra money to protect your furniture. And you may want to plan for the 15 ft flood waters.

Excellent council. Consider placing the living space 15' above the river level. the additional cost for peace of mind.. Just wise to consider imo.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Why not live where it doesn't flood? It would be easier? Baja has tons of open spaces even beach front for cheap?

A valid point. However, i totally get the attraction of the desert oasis.
If enough water is available, you can grow your own oasis (think tree shade canopy) from scrub desert in 10 years.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja-chris  
I would be shocked if flood insurance can still be purchased in that floodplain after so many losses the last 20 years.

Regarding aircraft, there have been several stolen from that strip over the years and even some taken at gunpoint. Make sure you can insure that as well.

Beautiful place BTW.

I know it is crazy but you can buy insurance still. In Canada or the US you would be uninsurable if you live on a floodplain. My insurance is backed by Loyds of London, so you will get paid out. I have only put a claim in for Odile. The other smaller hurricanes resulted in just a little mud in the yard, so it was not worth it with the deductible.

Like I said, get it for nothing, store your stuff above the floodplain when you are not there. It is pretty nice to have city power and water, walk 30 m to the Rio.

In my opinion, to buy anything in Mexico you have to get it for next to nothing. If after 8 years you have lease problems or Ejido issues, etc. you just walk away. Investing in Mexico is crazy. I guess I am a little nuts or I just love Margaritas and Tacos de pescado.

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 08:38 PM

Its been said many times here-
Invest only as much as you are willing to walk away from at a total loss

I too looked at that area (twice) and decided it wasn't for me JMO
I'm a pilot also and storing an airplane there is not on my RADAR.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 09:53 PM

Why not live where it doesn't flood?

Some people like to live in flood zones. Whatever floats your boat!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

I too looked at that area (twice) and decided it wasn't for me JMO
I'm a pilot also and storing an airplane there is not on my RADAR.

Especially aircraft such as cessna 206, Cherokee 6, ect that are popular for relocating contraband. A large chain around the prop is helpful.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 01:47 PM

Mexicans will take anything, any time, if it is not chained to concrete

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

No disrespect intended. This is the stupidest idea I keep running across.

As if buying/building a home on leased land isn't really stupid, be prepared to walk away from thousands of dollars/pesos. I wouldn't walk away from or risk $1,000 in a real estate deal. Guess for those with lots of money, or don't value money, it doesn't matter. Then there's the questionable common sense issue.

Also, building in a flood zone? Bat poop crazy. Throw caution to the wind? Oh yeah, it's Baja.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 07:53 PM

"In my opinion, to buy anything in Mexico you have to get it for next to nothing. If after 8 years you have lease problems or Ejido issues, etc. you just walk away. Investing in Mexico is crazy. "

BS. Leasing or buying something on Ejido land is what's crazy or what you have to be prepared to walk away from. My property was regularized when I bought it, and it's in a bank trust. My investment has provided me witha beautiful place to live for 16 years and if I ever decide to move back to Canada, I will see a good profit when I sell it.

At the very least I will get back every penny I put into it. Investing in Mexican property has been profitable for everyone I know as long as they did their due diligence before they bought.

[Edited on 12-25-2022 by surabi]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 11:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
"In my opinion, to buy anything in Mexico you have to get it for next to nothing. If after 8 years you have lease problems or Ejido issues, etc. you just walk away. Investing in Mexico is crazy. "

BS. Leasing or buying something on Ejido land is what's crazy or what you have to be prepared to walk away from. My property was regularized when I bought it, and it's in a bank trust. My investment has provided me witha beautiful place to live for 16 years and if I ever decide to move back to Canada, I will see a good profit when I sell it.

At the very least I will get back every penny I put into it. Investing in Mexican property has been profitable for everyone I know as long as they did their due diligence before they bought.

[Edited on 12-25-2022 by surabi]

Quite right. My investment in Mexico has served me well.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2022 at 09:58 AM

In the Orchards you buy the land not a lease like the Oasis.

Flooding is a fact of life in Mulege. Most of the houses are two story and people will have their furniture moved up to the second story or put in storage. Friends who live there tell me the clean up is pretty easy and done for you at a reasonable price. They faired well this past season despite flooding.

Yes there is an HOA and a nice community. I would ask on the Mulege News Facebook group and you will get more information vs. opinions here from people who don't live in the area.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2022 at 04:48 PM

A friend moved here last year and wanted to buy a house, I went with him on home tours, after a grueling day he put in an offer on beach front home on three lots with pool etc. It is beautiful, though it turned out to be a high traffic beach on weekend nights for locals which made it unpleasant living, he put it up sale in less than 1 year and sold it to the first person who came doubling his US1.2 million investment to US2.5 million US in just one year, he bought another house nearby in a more established neighborhood 1 block up from the beach for US$600k all inside a 45 day closing period. The property was 3 lots held in corp, which is a hassle and there are rumors that homes held under corps must be used as a business at least 1 week a year.

The vast majority of sales in Baja begin as Ejido sales, person to person with no agents, which can be far more secure form of buying than any other option in Baja. Depending on the type of parcel, uso comun is disputable, Ejido Parcels are not disputable and are protected at a super federal level. Research Ejido properties to learn more.

Fidicomiso becomes quite expensive to setup and make payments over time, as well to close later at sale. Over 20 years the costs may exceed US20k for an inexpensive home or more for an expensive home.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 08:15 AM

Lots of people making handsome profits on Mexican real estate.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 08:38 AM

The vast majority of sales in Baja begin as Ejido sales, person to person with no agents, which can be far more secure form of buying than any other option in Baja. Depending on the type of parcel, uso comun is disputable, Ejido Parcels are not disputable and are protected at a super federal level. Research Ejido properties to learn more.

This sound like horrible advice.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.