Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Permanent resident visa
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 09:23 AM
Permanent resident visa

I'm heading down to Baja next week by land and was wondering when I cross do I have to stop at immigration and fill out any paperwork?

Just got it last year and have only gone by air.

Thanks
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 10:04 AM

no... just drive across

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 10:11 AM

Thanks Bob and Susan. :bounce:

Looking forward to the trip to Ligui

We are getting ready to run water and electricity up to our property after all these years .

Retirement is just around the corner. :thumbup:
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 11:04 AM

Yes, you should stop and get your passport stamped. It is a good idea to have a record of your entries and exits. It is not outside the realm of possibility that INM could strip PR status if PRs spend a lot more time outside of Mexico than inside.

[Edited on 12-29-2022 by surabi]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 12:13 PM

they wont stamp on the way out...

they dont care on the way in even if you go to imm for others

its a multiple entry visa and the usa never want to ever see it

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 01:05 PM

Thanks ! If time allows I would like to stop by on our way south and say hello

Have wanted to see you place for years :bounce:
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Yes, you should stop and get your passport stamped. It is a good idea to have a record of your entries and exits. It is not outside the realm of possibility that INM could strip PR status if PRs spend a lot more time outside of Mexico than inside.

wouldn't having your passport stamped be the only way INM would have of having this record?
gracias

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

wouldn't having your passport stamped be the only way INM would have of having this record?
gracias

When they were using the FMM forms, as they have discontinued in several areas, I suppose that info may have been entered on their database. Now they are only stamping passports.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
they wont stamp on the way out...

they dont care on the way in even if you go to imm for others

its a multiple entry visa and the usa never want to ever see it

You mean if you ask them to they will refuse? And it isn't a matter of an INM agent caring, it's matter of a PR being able to prove how much time they have spent in and out of Mexico, if that is ever needed.

And of course the US never wants to see it. It has nothing to do with the US.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
It is not outside the realm of possibility that INM could strip PR status if PRs spend a lot more time outside of Mexico than inside.

Interesting statement! Which makes a lot of sense, (o sea, ¿qué quiere decir "permanente"?) but that doesn't reduce its potential scariness.

Do you have any indication that this might be in the works? :wow:

I read of the possibility on another Mexico forum, not like one of those gringo rumors, i.e. a friend of a friend said.... but the same way I mentioned it, that as far as we know, it could be a possibility in the future. Just as they have cracked down on people living here for years on a tourist card and just leaving the country every 6 months and coming back in the next day. Permanemt residency is supposed to be for those who actually do live here. As far as I am aware, there is no official mention of how long you are expected to be in Mexico with PR, but things can always change.

And if one ever wants to apply for Mexican citizenship, you do have to provide proof of how long you have been in the country for something like the previous 5 years.

If you fly out, but drive back in, there will be a record of your exit, but not of your reentry if you don't stop and ask INM to stamp your passport. So Mexico could say you left and didn't return.
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 08:20 PM

I am working with a immigration officer in Loreto helping a friend get his visa processed . i'll write to her and ask.

Let you know what she says.
tomieharder
Banned

[*] posted on 12-30-2022 at 09:02 AM

Mexico has no limitations on how long a permanent resident can remain outside of Mexico. I challenge you to find any regulation which says otherwise. Not gossip, not hearsay, just find a regulation,
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-30-2022 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tomieharder  

Mexico has no limitations on h8ow long a permanent resident can remain outside of Mexico. I challenge you to find any regulation which says otherwise. Not gossip, not hearsay, just find a regulation,

As usual, your reading comprehension is poor. Try reading through a thread in its entirety before jumping on in your zeal to attack me.

I already said there was no regulation presently as to how long a PR could be out of the country, so your "challenge" is moot. I said it is not outside the realm of possibility that Mexico could require PRs to prove how much time they spend in Mexico. Things can change at any time.

Personally, I want a record of my exits and entries. Up to others what they choose to do.

[Edited on 12-30-2022 by surabi]
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2022 at 10:27 AM

The entry and exit documentation becomes a problem for a PR whom is applying for citizenship. Time out of the country is limited within the 4/5 year period prior for a PR whom then wants to be naturalized.

Unsure what it is now, but years ago it was something like 18 months in a 4 year period?

If one leaves the country by air, (recorded), and returns overland, (not recorded), you left the country and never returned in the authorities eyes for purpose of meeting this requirement.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 09:58 PM

Interesting that as a naturalized Mexican, there is also a 5 year limit on staying outside of Mexico. One learns something every day.

https://www.mexperience.com/becoming-a-naturalized-mexican/

When we applied to be citizens, we had to prove our entrances and exits with our passports as proof. It was a very strict search.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2023 at 07:46 AM

Spoke with Immigration yesterday and was told to check in every time one crosses the border
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 02:58 PM
RP but no IMM form collected

We are PR for about 6 years and when we fly out of Mexico we always had to go by the Immigration booth at the airport and get an IMM form stamped after showing our US passport and a screenshot of our boarding pass along with our RP card. The airline took the small portion of the bottom of the IMM card and gave us the top ( larger portion ) back to present upon our return to Mexico. Saturday when we returned through Guadalajara the Immigration officer stamped our passports but said they no longer want the IMM form. So, do we no longer have to check with immigration upon leaving? Unless I hear something official I'll still stop by the immigration booth at the airport next time we leave.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2023 at 07:31 AM

I flew out of Los Cabos airport a week ago. I'm a residente permanente and the official at the immigration office in the airport insisted that the paper form is no longer necessary for me. He stamped my passport and that was it.

So, yes, I'd check at immigration upon leaving in order to get your passport stamped. Upside....things move along a lot more quickly at immigration - no more waiting while people fill out the forms.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.