Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Truck Camper Broke Dodge in half
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 07:39 AM
Truck Camper Broke Dodge in half

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/12/an-eagle-cap-camper-snappe...

Poor guy had his Dodge break in half in Baja. I thought my camper was heavy at 2900 lbs dry !
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:03 AM

Would have been interesting to see what each axle weighed at a scale house before the break.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:11 AM

With that already serious overhang, then he adds a moto to the rear bumper?

He might still be rolling down the road if that moto was on the front bumper. Counter acting weight balance should always be considered.

I doubt additional overload rear springs would have prevented the chassis from breaking with the moto where it was, so far behind the rear axle.

Beefing up the chassis might have worked with some serious added u-channel steel but I don't recall ever seeing that used on a pick up truck.

Overloaded. Absolutely. Live and learn the hard way. Counter balance has its plusses.

I have never owned a pick up truck. Been a van man since my VW days in 60's.

I did carry a Honda 250 moto on the rear bumper of a Ford 4wd van for years and even then, there was one time my rear axle bearings failed and by the time I pulled over, it was glowing red. After cooling down, I limped my way into La Paz and made it to a repair station who after a couple for days could not come up with a replacement axle.

I flew back to SD, came up with a junkyard axle in a days time, wrapped some cardboard around the axle and made it back on the second day thanks to a friend who gave me a ride.

When I showed up with a replacement axle two days later, the mechanics were amazed and had me on the road the next day.

Hanging out in their garage for a few days was an education I have always appreciated since. Masters of making do with what they have is a value I have always held for them. Going out of their way to help is something I will always treasure. Salt of the earth fits the people of Baja. In my experience, for what it is worth.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:12 AM

Just the weight of the camper isn’t what killed the truck! The camper hangs 3’ off the tailgate! The tail heavy camper is the problem. That spot is where truck frames often fail. Off roaders usually reenforce the frame behind the cab for that reason.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:24 AM

I know that in Baja most of us have seen mechanical work and construction that leaves us shaking our heads, wondering "What were they thinking?", but could you imagine getting that disaster moving again under it's own power north of the border?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Just the weight of the camper isn’t what killed the truck! The camper hangs 3’ off the tailgate! The tail heavy camper is the problem. That spot is where truck frames often fail. Off roaders usually reenforce the frame behind the cab for that reason.

Look at the pics again. The camper hangs 3 feet off the back, and the bike rack extends another 2 or 3 feet, carrying 2 heavy e-bikes.
That pickup is carrying 3+ ton load and has huge weight cantilevered off the back end.
What was the owner thinking?

If you want to carry 7K lbs camping, get a trailer!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 01:38 PM

I met a guy going into Cocos old place several years ago in a 1st gen. Tacoma pulling a 24 ft trailer that buckled the frame of the truck. He had way too much weight on the tongue. I was in my GMC Z71 and when we hooked the trailor up to my truck my back end went way down. We spent the night at Cocos then I pulled his trailer to Guerrero Negro and he went to a welding shop for repairs.
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 02:07 PM

Looks to be a short bed and a** end heavy for sure
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 04:40 PM

On another site they said he had the camper turnbuckle brackets welded to the frame at the point of failure. The weld could have metal fatigue?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KaceyJ  
Looks to be a short bed and a** end heavy for sure

the guy took quite a beating, best comment was problem same as Kardashians...too much junk in the trunk!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 04:57 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words, yes?

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
https://www.carscoops.com/2022/12/an-eagle-cap-camper-snappe...

Poor guy had his Dodge break in half in Baja. I thought my camper was heavy at 2900 lbs dry !

[Edited on 1-2-2023 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 05:54 PM

I had to look a second time to see if the truck had a 6 foot box (6'4" to be exact). It sure looks like it is. The center of gravity must be very close to the rear axle??
That would even compound the leverage factor by a lot compared to an 8' box. Even with an 8' box, I wouldn't want to hit a tope at speed with this camper on the back!!

Yeah, sales people are the scum of the earth.... they'll tell you anything you want to hear, just to make a sale. No conscience.

[Edited on 1-2-2023 by KasloKid]

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 06:28 PM

I checked the camper brochure the dry camper CG is about 58” back from the front or about 18” forward of the tailgate. Probably behind the rear axel. The proof is the back end sank after the break. The camper CG should be in front of the rear axel within the truck’s published CG load range. The dry weight is just shy of 5,000lbs. The weight loaded is probably over 7,000lbs. The camper comes with a red arrow showing the dry CG for that camper. See a red arrow?

Welding incorrectly on a truck frame is probably a bad idea. Some truck frames are labeled “heat treated do not weld”!

[Edited on 1-2-2023 by RFClark]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 08:19 PM

I know nothing about trucks and campers, axles, welds or any of that, but I could take one look at that rig, see that the back end of the camper that hangs off plus the bikes is actually longer than the truck bed and would never work.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 08:35 PM

S,

He probably took the truck to wherever he bought the camper. They didn’t have to sell it to him especially since the camper manufacturer has a lot of very plain language safety and how to stuff to make sure you won’t come back on them. He could have bought it from a private party instead, in which case it’s on him.

The only reason it didn’t lift the front wheels off the ground is the diesel engine is very heavy!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 09:44 PM

I think that qualifies as a bad day in Baja. wow.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:07 PM

He should feel lucky he got 25K out of that truck before he broke it.

SOS.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:24 PM

I am sure that when he first loaded up his camper the truck sagged onto the bump stops :!::!::!:
After seeing the truck suspension sag so far, he probably added air bags to level his ride :lol::lol::lol:
He was lucky that he didn’t roll that top-heavy whale before the frame broke :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 1-2-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:27 PM

a little late but he's eyeing a 5500 now....

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 10:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
a little late but he's eyeing a 5500 now....

After that experience he is probably looking at a 10 wheel chassis to carry his camper and toys :lol::lol:

Woke!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.