Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to sell a South Dakota registered vehicle
hdn2mx
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2023 at 02:07 PM
How to sell a South Dakota registered vehicle

Hola amigos,

Selling an old vehicle with SD registration. Do I give the new owner the SD title. The person buying it is a Mexican National and will be getting Mexican plates for it.

Tried calling Clay County, but haven't gotten through to an actual person yet.

The SD Title I have doesn't have a bottom portion to tear off and mail in like a CA Title.

Thanks for your time,
RT
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2023 at 02:10 PM

It's illegal for you to sell a foreign-plated car in Mexico. The car will still be registered with Aduana as belonging to you and if the buyer gets in an accident, you will be held responsible.
A Mexican can't get a US title transferred to his name. The vehicle has to be legally imported first.

[Edited on 1-5-2023 by surabi]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-5-2023 at 02:44 PM

I just sold a S.D. plated car to a gringo in Baja. There was a bottom portion of the certificate of title that was a release of liability. It required the selling price name and address of the buyer.

What county is it registered in? Clay Counties # is (605) 677-7123

This might open a can of worms if the buyer does not have an address. What about the S.D. tax for registration for the new owner? I assume they will not register it or deal in any way with S.D. so they might be on their own. Just make sure S.D. know without any doubt that you are no longer responsible for the car. Maybe ask S.D. what you should do if the car just broke down and you no longer have possession?

Good luck and please report back.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2023 at 03:00 PM

With the SD title the new owner can go the Annapofa (sp?), Anapromex route, or one of the other companies now available issuing plates. I see nationals do it frequently.

Just do not want to enter federally operated facilities, ie: airport, ferry terminal....the vehicle could be confiscated by federal authorities.

In addition, although I do not believe these plates are recognized outside of BC & BCS.
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 1-6-2023 at 06:22 AM

My Toyota Tacoma had SD plates/registration. Under the new program
that allows for foreign vehicles to be imported through Aduana, I took
my SD title to Aduana in La Paz and for 2,500 pesos the importation
was completed and i received Mexican plates, registration and new title.
I am Mexican citizen.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2023 at 08:42 AM

The "chocolates" program mentioned above ended on January 1st, (being extended from previous ending date).
Only vehicles that had a VIN number beginning with a number, not a letter were eligible.

I suspect this program will surface again at some point, maybe with a different requirement, ie: vin number.
boatworksjon

[*] posted on 1-6-2023 at 09:07 AM

The chocolate program has been extended till March of 2023....
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2023 at 09:44 AM

Because it is illegal to sell to my jeep which I hadn't imported, I gave it to a Mexican national and just kept my plates. I talked with Clay county and they said just put my old plates on the new car I was registering with them and they would just issue my new registration with that license number. My friend with the jeep got it registered but I don't know what route he took. Apparently he had no problem doing so

In Memory of E-57
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2023 at 01:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Because it is illegal to sell to my jeep which I hadn't imported, I gave it to a Mexican national and just kept my plates. I talked with Clay county and they said just put my old plates on the new car I was registering with them and they would just issue my new registration with that license number. My friend with the jeep got it registered but I don't know what route he took. Apparently he had no problem doing so

Just wondering if you gave him title too? I mean the paper, not the plates.

You write that your friend got the jeep registered. Where? US or MX?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

Just wondering if you gave him title too? I mean the paper, not the plates.

You write that your friend got the jeep registered. Where? US or MX?
Yes I gave him the title. He is a mexican national and he registered it in Mexico

In Memory of E-57

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.