Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: OC public defender shot dead in Rosarito Beach
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 10:04 AM
OC public defender shot dead in Rosarito Beach

OC Register is reporting it happened yesterday while he and his wife were celebrating 1st wedding anniversary

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/01/14/o-c-deputy-public-defe...

Es Todo Bueno
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 11:33 AM

this is a bit confusing, it was reported he fell from the 4th floor of the las rocas hotel...I've seen nothing about him being shot?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
this is a bit confusing, it was reported he fell from the 4th floor of the las rocas hotel...I've seen nothing about him being shot?

Where is it reported he fell ?

Who said he was shot?

The article linked above simply said he was crime victim.

Nothing good ever happens in Rosarito. Bad town, high crime!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Where is it reported he fell ?

Who said he was shot?

The article linked above simply said he was crime victim.

Nothing good ever happens in Rosarito. Bad town, high crime!

our old friend Charles posted this earlier, the mention of being shot is from our OP.

sorry you don't care for Rosarito (actually I could care less)
https://noticiasbc.info/2023/01/14/fallece-turista-al-caer-d...

[Edited on 1-15-2023 by Don Pisto]

John Hiatt
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 03:53 PM

Rosarito en la noticia is reporting he simply got drunk and slipped...just a tragic accident :(
rccali
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 10:18 PM

A go fund me page for the victim Elliot Blair cited in an article in the LA Times states that "he was the victim of a brutal crime" and that his family is working with US officials to gain more information. I would trust the LA Times much more than any police department in Mexico.

Apparently his wife is a public defender so I'm betting there will be more released publicly about this incident in the coming days.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-01-15/an-orang...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/remembering-elliot-blair
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 10:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rccali  

A go fund me page for the victim Elliot Blair cited in an article in the LA Times states that "he was the victim of a brutal crime" and that his family is working with US officials to gain more information. I would trust the LA Times much more than any police department in Mexico.

Apparently his wife is a public defender so I'm betting there will be more released publicly about this incident in the coming days.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-01-15/an-orang...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/remembering-elliot-blair

The news article I read said a drunk fell off a balcony.
I did not know the family was already cashing in with a go fund me in less than 24 hours after death.
I wonder if the real story is that the guy was drunk and fell off a balcony, and the family made up the crime angle to milk the go fund me angle?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 05:21 AM

Harsh!

Details of this incident are nothing more than rumors at this point. Seems like the wife would have known what happened unless she was not with him. So what was he doing by off himself at one o'clock in the morning?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 06:46 AM

Sounds like he fell off the balcony. Or was pushed. Did wife push him over the edge?

From OC register:

Family and friends of the Orange County deputy public defender who died at a beachside resort in Mexico while celebrating his one-year wedding anniversary were still searching for answers on Sunday.

Elliot Blair, 33, of Orange, was found dead after what Mexican media in Rosarito Beach said was an accidental fall from a fourth-floor balcony of the Las Rocas Resort and Spa early on Saturday, Jan. 14.

But his family and colleagues reject that description of his death.

In a statement on a GoFundMe campaign for Blair’s family, the fundraisers’ organizer said Blair “was tragically killed” and “the victim of a brutal crime.”

The organizer, Annie Rodriguez, could not be reached. An attorney for Blair’s family did not return a request for comment Sunday. Nor could Mexican authorities in Rosarito be reached for information about what led to Blair’s death.

U.S. authorities were also looking into how Blair died. Congressman Lou Correa, who represents Santa Ana, where Blair worked in the Public Defender’s office, said his office was trying to get more information.

Police in Rosarito told a news website in Mexico, Patrulla 646 Código Rojo, that hotel staff called 911 around 1:15 a.m. after finding Blair’s body, which brought officers and paramedics to the hotel. The Baja California Attorney General’s Office reportedly was investigating.

The website in Mexico said police claimed to have found evidence that Blair was under the influence of alcohol at the time of his death. But it’s not clear what that evidence was.

Blair was at the resort with his wife, a fellow deputy public defender in Orange County, celebrating their first year of marriage when he died.

Woke!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 02:41 PM

Only evidence is a body and likely that he had been drinking. Not drunk, not shot, not fallen. No observations from wife. Very strange.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 03:04 PM

it is very strange indeed, and tragic. so is this: a popular tabloid type news source called "the daily beast" ran this story with the heading "california deputy public defender SLAIN on mexico vacation" and yahoo picked up the story. as of now there's close to 3000 comments, I gave up after a few dozen that were almost entirely mexico bashing.:(

John Hiatt
rccali
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 07:48 PM

The victim's family made a statement to a KABC 7 reporter that there was a specific injury on the forehead of Mr. Blair that would not have been caused by the fall.

He could have died from an accidental fall but I would not believe any information coming from the Rosarito Beach PD. They are as corrupt as the Tijuana police.

https://abc7.com/orange-county-public-defender-death-mexico/...
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2023 at 08:40 AM

That's sad, I feel for his family and friends.

As an aside, the expectation of an actual bonafide investigation is a nice thought but not likely.

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2023 at 09:30 AM

Yet another example how grey things can get.
My apologies on the title.

Es Todo Bueno
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2023 at 08:02 AM

Getting more weird:
"Kim said the incident “did not occur off their room’s private balcony, or any balcony, for that matter,” and instead happened in an open-air walkway outside of their room’s front door.
The family also claims Elliot was not intoxicated at the time of his death and he was found wearing only his underwear, sleeping shirt and socks."
And she knows nothing?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2023 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Getting more weird:
"Kim said the incident “did not occur off their room’s private balcony, or any balcony, for that matter,” and instead happened in an open-air walkway outside of their room’s front door.
The family also claims Elliot was not intoxicated at the time of his death and he was found wearing only his underwear, sleeping shirt and socks."
And she knows nothing?

First on the list of suspects is always the wife.

Why did the statement not explain where wife was during this supposed crime?

Why was hubby wandering outside the room in middle of night in his PJs?

The family’s statement raise more questions than answers.

Woke!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2023 at 06:04 PM

the culprits...pigeons

https://puntonorte.info/2023/01/17/abogado-de-eu-que-murio-e...
rccali
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2023 at 07:29 PM

Update from the LA Times:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-01-18/american...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2023 at 07:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
the culprits...pigeons

https://puntonorte.info/2023/01/17/abogado-de-eu-que-murio-e...

Los rocas is a major resort, been there for many, many years. They have been around long enough know that building codes in Mexico, UBC, IBC, etc., have ~42” minimum rail height.
The article and pics indicate the rail is about 0.5 m.
Gross negligence on the part of the resort owner/management and architect?

[Edited on 1-19-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2023 at 10:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Getting more weird:
And she knows nothing?

Only his underwear? This is a case for Ensenada Doctor!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.