Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico Tightens Ban on Smoking in Public
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 06:59 PM
Mexico Tightens Ban on Smoking in Public

What MX needs. More stupid, non-enforceable laws. One Morse way for dirty cops to shake down unsuspecting, gringo smokers.

Quote: Originally posted by Aeo  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-64279351
''That includes parks, beaches, hotels, offices and restaurants.

With police corruption so rampant in Mexico, many fear that rather than issuing real fines or punishments for smoking in public, some officers will use it as a pretext for taking bribes''.

Beaches?

[Edited on 1-16-2023 by Lee]

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 07:52 PM

So trucks are allowed to belch out diesel fumes and people burn plastic in their yards, but cops are going to be walking up and down the beaches busting people for smoking a cigarette?

Although I'm a smoker myself, I'm all for stop smoking incentives- it's an insidious addiction and I hate to see young people start smoking. Bans on indoor smoking in public places is absolutely reasonable- I don't even light up at an outside restaurant table- I get up and walk a bit down the street so I'm not near anyone dining.

But banning smoking outdoors (unless it's on a school playground or right near other people who aren't smoking), is absurd when there are so many other sources of air pollution that nothing is done about.

[Edited on 1-16-2023 by surabi]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Good news....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-64279351

Mexico has brought into force one of the world's strictest anti-tobacco laws by enacting a total ban on smoking in public places.

The step, which was first approved in 2021, also includes a ban on tobacco advertising.
Several other Latin American countries have also passed legislation to create smoke-free public spaces.

However, Mexico's legislation is considered to be the most robust and wide-ranging in the Americas.

It amounts to one of the most stringent anti-smoking laws in the world. Mexico's existing 2008 law - which created smoke-free spaces in bars, restaurants and workplaces - is now extended to an outright ban in all public spaces. That includes parks, beaches, hotels, offices and restaurants.

There will also be a total ban on the advertising, promotion and sponsorship of tobacco products, meaning that cigarettes cannot even be on show inside shops.

Vapes and e-cigarettes are also subject to tighter new restrictions, particularly indoors.

The Pan American Health Organisation has welcomed the step and applauded the Mexican government for implementing the ban.

The organisation says that tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of death in the world, responsible for nearly a million deaths in the Americas each year, either through direct consumption or exposure to second-hand smoke.

However, some smokers are dismayed at the draconian nature of the new law.

In essence, it means that many will only be allowed to smoke in their homes or other private residences.

Others have raised questions about the practicalities of enforcing the law.

With police corruption so rampant in Mexico, many fear that rather than issuing real fines or punishments for smoking in public, some officers will use it as a pretext for taking bribes.

Excellent news.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
...cops are going to be walking up and down the beaches busting people for smoking a cigarette?

Although I'm a smoker myself, I'm all for stop smoking incentives- it's an insidious addiction and I hate to see young people start smoking. Bans on indoor smoking in public places is absolutely reasonable- I don't even light up at an outside restaurant table- I get up and walk a bit down the street so I'm not near anyone dining.

But banning smoking outdoors (unless it's on a school playground or right near other people who aren't smoking, is absurd when there are so many other sources of air pollution that nothing is done about.

Smoking is a dirty habit, I can only imagine your teeth and breath, yuck.

[Edited on 1-16-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 08:46 PM

No worries, JZ, I would never get close enough to you for that to be an issue.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 09:10 PM

The thing that really drove home the concept of addiction for me was seeing patients with terminal respiratory diseases sitting outside of longterm care facilities with an Oxygen mask in one hand and a cigarette in the other!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 06:05 PM

S,

Usually the Canadian is the smoker in Mexico not Gringos!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

And you addressed that non-sequitor to me because....?

And have you done a study to back up that statement?

FYI an estimated 10.3% of Canadians are cigarette smokers, and estimated 12.5% of Americans according actual studies.

[Edited on 1-17-2023 by surabi]
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 08:00 PM

S,

:lol: thats a BOLD statement!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 08:15 PM

S,

Haven't you guys ever noticed that many Mexicans smoke?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 08:22 PM

I guess Canadians don't count as gringo's?:?:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-16-2023 at 08:42 PM

:)
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
I guess Canadians don't count as gringo's?:?:

No, actually, they don't. Gringo is often thought to mean foreigner, particularly Americans and Canadians, but primarily by foreigners. Mexicans have told me that the term gringo specifically refers to Americans and that Canadians are not gringos.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2023 at 04:26 AM

S,

The term “Gringo” as used in Mexico is applied to Americans from the US. We were taught that it was a corruption of “green grows”. Words from a marching song sung by some of the US soldiers in Mexican War.

It turns out that the word originally comes from the Greek word for person and was variously used in Latin America prior to the Mexican War to define foreigners, mostly with European features.

So the LAUSD strikes again. Did you know that only birds fly? Bats are mammals which glide not fly! (Also Wrong!)
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2023 at 07:11 PM

L,

I misunderstood. It most likely comes from Spanish for Greek.

From whckopedia - “ The most likely theory is that it originates from griego ('Greek'), used in the same way as the English phrase "it's Greek to me".[3][10] Spanish is known to have used Greek as a stand-in for incomprehensibility, though now less common, such as in the phrase hablar en griego (lit. 'to speak Greek'). The 1817 Nuevo diccionario francés-español, for example, gives gringo and griego as synonyms in this context:[11]

... hablar en griego, en guirigay, en gringo.
Gringo, griego: aplícase a lo que se dice o escribe sin entenderse.

... to speak in Greek, in gibberish, in gringo.
Gringo, Greek : applied to what is said or written but not understood.”
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-17-2023 at 10:43 PM
The term "Gringo", for your consideration!

In 1959 my family did a three month trip to mainland Mexico. I was 12 at the time, but some of the memories from that trip stand out more than most of the ones I have from recent trips.

I don't remember which town was our first real rest stop, but I am sure it was within a day's drive south of Nogales. The hotel owner spoke great English, and spent quite a bit of time chatting with our family.

One thing I remember is that he had a picture of Pancho Villa hanging in the lobby, and considered him a hero. The other is his explanation of the term "Gringo"

According to him, it was because Pershing's troops that were fighting Pancho Villa wore green uniforms, and were unwelcome by the non-combatant civilians. According to our host they would shout "Green go!", as in go away!

I doubt that it was an accurate account, but it was believable for my twelve year old self!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2023 at 03:22 PM
SMOKING & DRONES

FROM THE GAZETTE

SMOKING
New Mexican smoking laws via Gringo Gazette: And it’s really tough now. As of January 15, it is forbidden to smoke in Restaurants, (even outdoors), Malls, Private ballrooms, Beaches, Parks, Sports stadiums, Movie theaters, theaters, live concerts, amusement parks, hotels, schools, workplaces, government offices, medical facilities and public transportations. If you are in a restaurant and go out to smoke, you must be 10 yards away from the entrance and ventilation equipment. You are stuck to smoking at private properties like your home or your friends’. Last but not least, packs of cigarettes for sale must not be visible, so store chains like OXXO have covered them with black curtains.

DRONES...

NEEDS TO BE VERIFIED..
foreigners are not allowed to fjy drones in Mexico. Anyone found guilty would be under federal jurisdiction and carry an heavy sentence. – jebeddy2012@hotmail.com

bien salud,

da rat
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
1-21-2023 at 04:19 PM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
1-21-2023 at 04:21 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.