BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Discover Baja Travel Club?
dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 11:00 AM
Discover Baja Travel Club?

I saw this club recommended on David's website. I'm wondering if others have joined and is it worth it? I'm going to Baja for 2 weeks and I wanted to know if I will save money on 2 weeks of auto insurance after the $39 fee.

Any other experiences or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 12:02 PM

You can get a quote from Discover Baja on their website, then compare to Baja Bound or other's online quotes. The difference is Baja Bound does not require any membership. They both sell the same, highest rated, insurance brands... last I checked (HDI Seguros & Chubb). The club membership gets you discounts at hotels and other Baja businesses.

Personally, I have purchased policies from both, over the past 25 years. Baja Bound was the first company to sell online, back in the 1990s. The others followed that lead. I have also written articles for both but far more for Baja Bound's free monthly bulletin, the past 10 years.

The agents/brokers at both are great and both have bilingual agents that will go to bat for you if there are any disputes.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 12:19 PM

Thanks David. I have always used Baja Bound also.

But Discover says that they have special insurance rates for members.... You can get insurance through them without the membership, but a discount with the membership. This is what I'm wondering will be worth the membership cost.

They also claim to be "the only source in the U.S. for pre-paid FMM tourist permits." I'm not exactly sure what this means..... do I still pay the fee? Do I have to stop at the border to pick them up, or are they mailed?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 01:34 PM

DO NOT get the FMM before you enter Mexico, is my advice.

WHY?

Good chance you will need to pay twice, if there is any descrepancy on the day you cross, the border site you cross at, or if you don't have the receipt with the FMM form, etc.

YOU STILL HAVE TO STOP at the border and walk into the building to have INM validate the form, with their stamp. The same place you get one at.

Is saving 5-10 minutes to fill out the form and pay for it, worth the chance you will need to pay another $34 or so dollars? It's Mexico, take off you watch and relax, you're on a vacation, after all!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 02:15 PM

Great advice David! I can totally see that happening.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 02:46 PM

I've gotten the FMM thru Discover Baja several times and never had to pay twice.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I've gotten the FMM thru Discover Baja several times and never had to pay twice.

I do as David suggested, in fact the last time we went through Mexicalli the folks in front of us in line had to pay twice since they didnt have a receipt. It was a few days before Christmas. ;)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 04:40 PM

Then you used the border pre-selected on the day pre-selected, and you had the payment receipt.

My concern is for someone who, for whatever reason, is not able to.

Now, you and I got our 2022 FMMs together. How long did that take, would you say? I think it was easily less than 10 minutes. Did you stop with a pre-paid FMM to get it stamped? How long did that take compared to last March?

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 05:38 PM

Never saw the benefit of a Travel Club. The 2 San Diego
based Mex Ins brokers, Discover Baja and bajabound
use the same Mex Ins. Co's., Chubb and HDI, both rated
highly, whoever does that rating. Add the membership
cost, as I remember the cost of the 2 brokers is the same,
plus or minus a few $. You have to compare the 2 with
EXACTLY the same coverage. The increase cost is generally
the liability coverage, a few policies have $50k, up to
$500k, I'm usually in the $300k, which is probably overkill.
As posted get the fmm from Mex Immigration at the border.
not prepaid
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 05:54 PM

Yes I got it stamped and didn't pay extra. At Mexicali East I just stopped walked in and got it stamped. Same at Tecate. No going to a bank to pay. The TJ crossing is the easiest. One time the officer at Tecate did take my money, I think the bank was closed.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 05:55 PM

thirty years ago we would use vagabundos for insurance, fishing license boat permit and news letter.....in this day and age I don't see the need for a travel club, but hey its only 35 bucks!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2023 at 05:57 PM

As for auto insurance I just renewed my annual policy with Discover Baja for my Tacoma. I've never used BajaBound but I don't have any issue with them.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2023 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
not prepaid
I learned the benefit of a travel club for the one time I actually had to file a claim. Every time the claims adjuster wasn't responsive to an inquiry in a timely manner, I simply cc'd Discover Baja and they contacted the insurance provider, and I received a response the very next day. They sell so many policies for the insurance companies they obviously wield a great deal of clout. Having them in my corner was priceless and my claim was settled to the full limits of the policy in less than 30 days.

In Memory of E-57
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2023 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
not prepaid
I learned the benefit of a travel club for the one time I actually had to file a claim. Every time the claims adjuster wasn't responsive to an inquiry in a timely manner, I simply cc'd Discover Baja and they contacted the insurance provider, and I received a response the very next day. They sell so many policies for the insurance companies they obviously wield a great deal of clout. Having them in my corner was priceless and my claim was settled to the full limits of the policy in less than 30 days.

The very same is true of the Baja Bound staff... just fyi.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2023 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The very same is true of the Baja Bound staff... just fyi.

These Ins Brokers that sell Mex Policies, I don't know how
much real clout they have with the Mex Ins Co's they
represent. When push comes to shove, not convinced of
their position in case of a dispute. I imagine the Ins Co's
would have the final word. Geoff at bajabound, reports are
he will go to bat for his clients. The guy travels the peninsula,
I think I would like someone hands on, like them
in case of un problema

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2023 at 11:52 PM

Not me but a riding buddy totaled his new moto in Baja. Insured with Baja bound, full pay out no problem. He was in a solo wreck outside of BOLA, they sent out an adjuster and paid out in a timely manner.
I've talked to BB several times to cover some of the weird chit I drag to Baja and never had a problem.

[Edited on 1-21-2023 by advrider]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2023 at 06:27 AM

I think it is worth noting that Baja Bound sponsors Baja Nomad... helping Doug pay the 'power bills' to keep Nomad on the Internet!
Click on their banner ad at the top of the Nomad page... and Doug is rewarded.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.