BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Craft Beer in Baja in cans or bottles?
dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 04:34 PM
Craft Beer in Baja in cans or bottles?

First off, I apologize to anyone offended by the fact that I am not a big fan of Mexican domestic beer. I'm not a big fan of American domestic beer either as I really crave big hoppy IPAs. When in Mexico, it is always very difficult to find good craft beer to go (canned preferably). Does anyone have an recommendations on where to find good craft beer in cans?

I've been to Baja several times in the last 10 years, but only as far as Puertecitos. I saw a brewery in San Felipe, but did not stop. The last time I did the whole peninsula was 10 years ago and there were much fewer craft breweries than there are now.

I'm doing the whole peninsula again this year and my questions are:

1)What Breweries are "not to be missed?" I can't stop at them all, and would love recommendations on favorites.

2) Do any of these sell beer to go in cans? Growler fills?

3) other stores you can recommend that I can buy good Baja craft beer. I will buy American craft beer if it is all that is available, but I have not seen this much, and prefer to buy local.

Particularly looking for beer around San Ignacio / Mulege, Loreto, Pescadero / Todos Santos. Also willing to stop in La Paz or Cabo.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 05:25 PM

San Felipe brewery does growlers.

In Loreto there is the Zopilote Brewing Company. It is right in the heart of the downtown area. They sell growlers. Their beer is available on tap at La Mision hotel. And I believe it is what is sold on tap at the wine bar in Loreto Bay. Zopilote have 4-5 different kinds of beer.

Sometimes there are IPAs in bottles in Loreto from MX based breweries. It's pretty hit or miss. The little shops sometimes have them at Loreto Bay. The Cactus beer store on the malecon is said to have them, but every time I've looked for it there they always say they just ran out.

A bunch of places have IPAs in bottles in La Paz. The big groceries and the market at Costa Baja. The Tailhunter bar has them in bottles. Personally, I've never seen cans in Baja.

[Edited on 1-24-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Almost
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 05:28 PM

Like you, I enjoy strong, hoppy craft beer. There is excellent craft beer available in Baja, but isn't always easy to find.The craft beer scene is getting better and better in Baja every year.
Bigger centers usually have a few to try in the larger supermercado's.
I can say that Mulege Brewing has some great beers and food. I believe that they will fill growlers now, also Zopilote Brewing in Loreto makes some dandy brews as well. They also fill growlers. I've found a decent selection of craft brews at the WalMart in La Paz also.
Cheers,
Almost
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 07:03 PM

There is a whole lot available in the Todos/Pescadero zone these days. Agricole market in Pescadero sells lots of different cans and bottles. Many of the bars in Todos now have at least one IPA on tap. Todos Santos Brewing is legit, and sells growlers (but they are often out of them so you need to find one somewhere). Brand new Bajavaria in the Las Tunas neigborhood in Todos has 13 craft taps, sourced from all over Mexico, and he knows his stuff so that if you say "I love Fremont Lush", he'll have a similar one for you. Also sells cans and bottles, don't know about growlers.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 07:36 PM

Every craft beer place I have been in Ensenada sold their product in cans including IPA.
I did not ask about growlers, but I bet the offer that as well.
On your way south stop at the larger markets and see the craft beer they sell. Make a list then go to the breweries.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 07:50 PM

Got a recipe for a michelada made with ipa?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Almost  

I can say that Mulege Brewing has some great beers and food. I believe that they will fill growlers now.
Cheers,
Almost

I just heard about this a month or two ago. Looking forward to checking it out soon.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2023 at 08:24 PM

Los Barriles is definitely another spot.

dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-24-2023 at 09:37 AM

Thanks for all of the replies! This will def get me started. I have a hydroflask growler which will keep beer cold for about 24 hours if not opened... a few hours after opening. I'll be bringing that, then try to stock up on some bottles and cans. Appreciate all the info!
dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-24-2023 at 09:48 AM

I found good beer like this last summer in Akumal, but could only find it at restaurants (120 pesos), not in 6 packs to go....

IMG_4323.jpg - 63kB
dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-24-2023 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

You spend much time inland while you were there?

Though the Caribbean is definitely sweet, Maya country is one of my favorite parts of Mexico (and mostly missed by the beach-going tourists).
Best tamales in the world! :light:

Yes, we stayed at Bacalar for a few days which is only slightly different than the coast / beach. But spent a day exploring Kohunlich (by far the coolest ruins I've been to) and another day at Copan.

Kohunlich is a more recently discovered zone and while we were there, two different teams where still working to uncover and restore different parts of the city. You can still walk and climb on almost everything there. Highly recommended if you are in the area.
dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 1-24-2023 at 04:40 PM

oops. Coba, not Copan. Copan would have been much more difficult to reach.

Coba was cool, but busy and very spread out.

Kohunlich was amazing. I have lots of great pics, but don't like posting pics of my family so these two will have to do.

IMG_4302.jpg - 120kB IMG_4297.jpg - 101kB
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 1-24-2023 at 05:20 PM

Definitely stop at Mulege Brewing, the new location is south of town a few miles. They have a few IPA's.
baja-chris
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2023 at 11:07 AM

Although I would not go there counting on it, the market at Rancho Grande (Gonzaga) sometimes has good beers in cans.

Transpeninsular on north end of Ensenada (El Sauzal) has many good beers in cans.

And the San Felipe Brewery is very good with a big variety and they can some flavors and do growlers for all. They have several IPA's and an excellent stout.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-25-2023 at 12:14 PM

can't comment on baja sur but the Smart & Final's up here norte cater to the gringo palate and have an xlnt selection of craft beers, worth a look

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.