Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Road Trip- Headed to Cabo
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 11:46 AM
Road Trip- Headed to Cabo

Driving down from NorCal to Cabo in a couple weeks. My plan is as follows:

Day 1- Drive from San Francisco to San Diego
Day 2 - San Diego to San Felipe (crossing in MexiCali)
Day 3 - San Felipe to Guerrero Negro
Day 4 - Guerrero Negro to Loreto
Day 5 - Loreto to La Paz
Day 6 - La Paz to Cabo
I have hotel's booked everywhere except GN. The two places I was looking at are both booked - Halfway Inn and Hotel TerraSal.

A few questions:
1. Any recommendation for hotels on GN?
2. Are there a lot of gas station options between these towns? My Jeep drinks gas at 11 mpg so I only have a range of about 200 miles a tank.
3. How are road conditions?
4. Most of my friends think I'm "crazy" to drive down Baja to Cabo - I've done a lot of research and have spent a fair amount of time driving around Cabo and around Southern Baja and I'm not too concerned but thought I'd ask.
5. I'm bring pink slip for car, passports, Mexico car insurance - what else should I bring for documents?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts/advice.
scouter
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 11:55 AM

I like Malarrimo Hotel restaurants and Bar in GN
Good food hot showers and parking in back whether bikes or trucks
they have RV spots as well....

Gas is everywhere with 200 mile range your good

Travel safe.....

[Edited on 2-2-2023 by scouter]
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 12:01 PM

Definitely not crazy and your distances each day are perfect for a mellow drive with time to stop and check out things along the way. It will be a good idea to carry a fuel container and to wait to fill it after you cross the border. Shari who is on here and her daughter have opened a place in GN recently I believe. I’ve done the drive south and north a few times and am looking forward to the next time.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bwk94510  

5. I'm bring pink slip for car, passports, Mexico car insurance - what else should I bring for documents?

The "pink slip" certificate of title is not needed. You will need a current registration, the original document, not a photocopy.
I am not aware of any good reason to have the certificate of title with you. Though there are good reasons to intentionally leave it at home. You could be setting yourself up for theft or extortion. Police have been known to extort vehicles, subsequent to a traffic accident or real or manufactured "crime". Never keep the title in the vehicle.
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

The "pink slip" certificate of title is not needed. You will need a current registration, the original document, not a photocopy.
I am not aware of any good reason to have the certificate of title with you. Though there are good reasons to intentionally leave it at home. You could be setting yourself up for theft or extortion. Police have been known to extort vehicles, subsequent to a traffic accident or real or manufactured "crime". Never keep the title in the vehicle.

Thank you - good advice. I'll leave it at home. My Jeep is registered in my name so that proves I owe it so that should satisfy any issue. I'm leaving my Jeep in Cabo at my house so I definitely need to keep it protected.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 01:15 PM

Top your tanks at San Felipe, the last reliable gas until Guerrero Negro, 240+ miles away.

The gas station at Km. 147/ San Luis Gonzaga (~100 miles south) is the next place to top off, if they are open... usually are.

If they are not open at Gonzaga Bay, after you join Hwy. 1, gas is sold from cans, at the abandoned gas station, at the junction to Bahía de los Angeles (Km. 282/ Km. 0), on the right. This is 60 miles from Gonzaga Bay/ 160 from San Felipe.

The first real gas station south of there, is at Villa Jesus María at Km. 95 (distance from the L.A. Bay junction). This is almost 220 miles from San Felipe. It is usually open.

The next gas station is at the state border/ giant eagle monument at Km. 127, on the left fork of the traffic circle around the monument and army base, at the foot of the eagle. This is 20 miles from Villa Jesus María and 240 miles from San Felipe.

The town of Guerrero Negro entrance (right fork) is just over two miles south the the eagle monument and it has a couple of reliable gas stations.

Have a great trip and do give us a report when you return, please!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 01:23 PM

4. Most of my friends think I'm "crazy" to drive down Baja to Cabo -.

Most people are boring, just sheeple that follow the crowd.
It’s a fun drive, lots of scenery and new places to see.
Dont rush it, sometimes travel is more fun to just follow your whims and wing it w/o reservations.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 01:25 PM

Skip guerrero negro, and stay in san ignacio. Interesting oasis town, traditional town square. .

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 01:54 PM

1. 2nd the idea of staying the night in San Ignacio check out the Yurts/Ignacio Springs really cool place, I'm guessing GN is busy with whale season.
3. Road conditions are good, slight detour/road construction about 20 miles south of GN.
4. Sounds like most of your friends haven't experienced Baja...they don't need to know anyway.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 02:37 PM

San Ignacio is a good option, but remember that it’s the height of whale watching season so getting a hotel room at either may be problematic. Try arriving early enough in GN so you can still have time to get to SI, or even Santa Rosalia.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 04:11 PM
You are driving a Jeep!

It will be very unhappy if you drive the length of Baja without a few dirt roads thrown into the route!

An easy, fun side trip would be to drive to Bahia de Los Angeles, and head south. You would wind up back on Mex 1 near Vizcaino, which would be a slight back track to Guerrero Negro, or head to Bahia Asuncion, or San Ignacio.

Another adventure could start in San Ignacio, and pass through San Juanico. From San Juanico you could choose to stay on pavement, or choose one of the mountain dirt roads that wind their way over to the east side.

Get a copy of the Benchmark Atlas if you are interested in poking around on the back roads, and ask questions here. Personally, the back roads are what draw me to Baja!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 04:42 PM

Day 2 I would opt for Ensenada cutting across the 3 to San Felipe....have a great trip!:P

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2023 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

...Get a copy of the Benchmark Atlas if you are interested in poking around on the back roads, and ask questions here. Personally, the back roads are what draw me to Baja!

Excellent advice. The Atlas is available from Baja Bound at a discount: https://shop.bajabound.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2023 at 12:18 AM

Have a blast!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2023 at 04:51 PM

Thank you everyone! Really appreciate all the feedback. I’m now seriously considering driving from san Felipe to San Ignacio - seems like a much nicer town to visit. Will be a long day of driving but then it’s gives me more time to checkout the town.

Would love to do some off-roading but I’m thinking more like some beach driving if I can find a cool beach to check out. I’m driving a 2006 Jeep commander I bought specifically to leave in cabo bcs it has capacity for 7 people with the third row. Lifted it and put more aggressive tires - didn’t help my gas mileage but should be good for Mexico.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2023 at 05:11 PM

The coast between San Felipe and Puertecitos, mostly the northern half, is a popular beach that locals and gringos drive on... a technical illegal act, in Mexico.

I camp at place you only can get to on the beach, 2 miles from where the road meets the beach, a place I call Shell Island. During the highest tides, it can be surrounded by water, so not always safe to access.

Basically, a skinny barrier island:

The beach gets much bigger as the tide goes out!

Giant sand bars appear, as the tide goes even further out! This happens twice a day around full and new moons!

If it's not fully an island when you are near, the access road is by Km. 26, south of San Felipe. Measure from Km. 25, as 26 was missing when last driven by.

My favorite camping beach since 1978, when I found the way to get onto it. That's when I named it, being full of shells and an island. Local gringos who moved to the area many years later, have been calling it Shell Beach. However, that name has already been taken for the community by Punta Chivato.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2023 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Skip guerrero negro, and stay in san ignacio. Interesting oasis town, traditional town square. .

X2. GN, has little of interest....
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-4-2023 at 03:23 AM
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2023 at 03:42 PM

Thank you DAVIDK - that’s definitely the type of beach I’m looking for! I didn’t realize driving on beaches in Mexico is illegal. I thought it was permitted on some beaches.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-4-2023 at 04:07 PM
How about sand dunes?

I have not personally been out on them, but there are dunes between El Datil and San Juanico. That would be on the low road headed to San Juanico from San Ignacio.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2023 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have not personally been out on them, but there are dunes between El Datil and San Juanico. That would be on the low road headed to San Juanico from San Ignacio.

I camped in those dunes... Yes, they are nice:

Listed, on my map:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.