Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Road Trip- Headed to Cabo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2023 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bwk94510  
Thank you DAVIDK - that’s definitely the type of beach I’m looking for! I didn’t realize driving on beaches in Mexico is illegal. I thought it was permitted on some beaches.

On populated city beaches, it is not wise and you could be fined. Enforcement has been mentioned in Los Barriles.

On deserted or remote beaches, there is nobody to ticket you and the locals drive on the beaches to check their fishing nets and launch boats, as well as use them to get to camping spots. The 50-mile coast from San Felipe to Puertecitos, is a regular 'beach boulevard', especially in front of the hundreds of vacation homes between Punta Estrella and El Coloradito.

If you drive, do so during low tide, on the wet sand, minimizing the time on dry sand. Turtles have been growing in numbers in the gulf and for the first time in recorded history, have begun nesting north of Puertecitos (starting around five years ago). Their eggs are in the dry sand, above the high tide line, during two months of the year (Laying eggs in this area in late September to hatching in late November). Many photos and videos of both taken near Campo La Roca, a mile south of Nuevo Mazatlan (on the 'Baja's South Campos Amigos' Facebook group.... search: turtles)

Way south, near Los Barriles, I photographed a turtle nest site with the tracks of the mother (July 19, 2012):

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baja-chris
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2023 at 11:15 AM

Thanks for posting that David. Years ago we were tent camping just off the beach down near Cabo Pulmo and when we awoke in the morning we saw tracks like that, the turtle nest was only 10 ft from our tent (and 6 feet below it as we were up on a small bluff not actually on the beach. Was pretty cool and we wish we would have been awake to see it. I do not know if we had been awake and watching if that would have disturbed the process or not. Would the turtle see/smell/hear us sitting in chairs on the bluff?
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2023 at 11:39 AM

This is another reason why Baja Nomad is so valued and deservedly so.

The offerings from all of our Mother Natures givings are endless for those who choose to go and experience the magic Baja offers without demands other than to be prepared for all it can offer up. Good and not so good, if one does not have their bases covered, you will learn a valuable lesson for next time.

Life is for learning and we are all better off for knowing other Nomads experiences in avoiding being stranded and broken down when solutions are generously offered here by those invaluable Nomads
that offer solutions that can be gained only through personal experience. Kudos to all.

Anytime politics does not intervene is the gift that keeps on giving.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-5-2023 at 01:13 PM

I found turtle tracks like that north of Todos Santos this past October. Unfortunately, there were also coyote tracks and shell debris scattered on the sand.

I hope they didn't get all of the hatch!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2023 at 08:38 AM

A year ago, we were sitting on the beach north of Todos Santos after sunset, and a mama came up and dug her nest about 6 feet away from us. We sat nearby for more than an hour watching. Magical.

It's a real treat to witness the preservation efforts and hatches around TS. The guy responsible for collecting the eggs from the nests and caring for them is a treasure. In season, you can walk the beaches in the morning and find new nests frequenly. If you call him, he'll be there in a few minutes to collect and protect the eggs.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 2-6-2023 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thank you DAVIDK - that’s definitely the type of beach I’m looking for! I didn’t realize driving on beaches in Mexico is illegal. I thought it was permitted on some beaches.

On populated city beaches, it is not wise and you could be fined. Enforcement has been mentioned in Los Barriles.

On deserted or remote beaches, there is nobody to ticket you and the locals drive on the beaches to check their fishing nets and launch boats, as well as use them to get to camping spots. The 50-mile coast from San Felipe to Puertecitos, is a regular 'beach boulevard', especially in front of the hundreds of vacation homes between Punta Estrella and El Coloradito.

If you drive, do so during low tide, on the wet sand, minimizing the time on dry sand. Turtles have been growing in numbers in the gulf and for the first time in recorded history, have begun nesting north of Puertecitos (starting around five years ago). Their eggs are in the dry sand, above the high tide line, during two months of the year (Laying eggs in this area in late September to hatching in late November). Many photos and videos of both taken near Campo La Roca, a mile south of Nuevo Mazatlan (on the 'Baja's South Campos Amigos' Facebook group.... search: turtles)

Way south, near Los Barriles, I photographed a turtle nest site with the tracks of the mother (July 19, 2012):

In Los Barriles there is a lot of atv traffic on the beaches and at the same time during turtle season a lot of nesting going on, so its obviously the standing argument when it comes to driving on the beach simply to protect the turtles. There is a group in Los Barriles two local brothers and volunteers that collect the eggs and put them in protected nests (nursery) and then release once hatched, they have saved/released tens of thousands of baby turtles over the years.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-6-2023 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

look at that turtle track across tire ruts.
they should ban all vehicles from beaches, and enforce it with max penalties (eye for an eye, life for a life).

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-6-2023 at 11:46 PM
La Huerta hotel in San Ignacio

Thank you everyone! Really appreciate all the feedback. I’m now seriously considering driving from san Felipe to San Ignacio - seems like a much nicer town to visit. Will be a long day of driving but then it’s gives me more time to checkout the town.

In San Ignacio, La Huerta is a newer, large hotel that is down the street past the Mission. Thanks to the oasis, the local water pressure & quality is very good.

La Huerta

hotel.lahuertabcs@outlook.es

The yurts on the water are also nice.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 12:38 PM

Perfect - I’ll give them a call today and book a room. Thank you!

I’m hoping google maps drive times are slower than it will actually take me to do the drive. For example from San Felipe to San Ignacio it estimates 7 hours 50 minutes but it’s only about 315 miles distance.

I’m getting some push back from family/friends about driving in Baja. Had anyone ever had any issues with crime/problems on the route that I’m taking? I feel like the issues of crime/kidnapping/violence are generally around Tijuana and that area.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 02:35 PM

No, been driving and camping in Baja since I was 16, in 1974.
I do not camp solo near a highway or in a city... which I avoid since I go to Baja to escape civilization! Hotels in cities are a safe way to overnight, getting away from civilization.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 03:33 PM

I’m hoping google maps drive times are slower than it will actually take me to do the drive. For example from San Felipe to San Ignacio it estimates 7 hours 50 minutes but it’s only about 315 miles distance.

I’m getting some push back from family/friends about driving in Baja. Had anyone ever had any issues with crime/problems on the route that I’m taking? I feel like the issues of crime/kidnapping/violence are generally around Tijuana and that area.

You say you own a house in cabo,… so to put things in perspective: rural hwys in BC are about same safety as rural hwys in BCS.. every year we hear of a car jacking or 2 in rural areas of both BC and BCS, but it is generally rare.
That said, the rural roads are narrow, and speed on such roads is dangerous. Don’t drive at night. Drive defensively, don’t drive with a lead foot, the roads are narrow, and you often pass opposing vehicles at with just a few feet or less separating you.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 04:27 PM

I can make it from Brawley Cal. to GN before sunset so San Felipe to San Ignacio should be about the same timing you just won't have a lot of time to sight see unfortunately.
As for driving Baja don't listen to what people who haven't driven it have to say, the folks on the Nomad won't sheer you wrong. And definitely don't get too caught up on internet stories or you'll never go. It's a little nerve racking but I say...Go for it, you'll be glad you did.
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 05:03 PM

“ I’m getting some push back from family/friends about driving in Baja. Had anyone ever had any issues with crime/problems on the route that I’m taking? I feel like the issues of crime/kidnapping/violence are generally around Tijuana and that area.”

As a Canadian I feel a great sense of relief after leaving the U.S. and driving into Mexico. I’ve lived in your country and driven quite extensively around it, but lately I feel a lot safer driving in Mexico. I’m not saying I’m scared of driving in your country, just that I feel more connected to people when I enter a restaurant, gas station or stopping to check on someone at the side of the road.
Anything can happen just about anywhere but I don’t think most people who’ve either never been to or only experienced Mexico from a resort perspective have a very accurate viewpoint.
Looking forward to your trip report 😎
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 05:06 PM

Thanks everybody. I’ve traveled many places in the world - mostly alone but bringing children this time adds a different dynamic. My plan is hotels and driving at or only slightly above the speed limit. 10 kph over or so. Not really a fast driver anyway. Thanks again for everyone’s thoughts.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 06:29 PM

I’ve traveled many places in the world - mostly alone but bringing children this time adds a different dynamic.

Mexicans love kids. They are an asset when travelling here. I got a way better reception when I had young children in Mexico than when I travelled alone. (although I never experienced anything bad travelling alone)
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 08:32 AM

"San Felipe to San Ignacio it estimates 7 hours 50 minutes but it’s only about 315 miles distance."
Hwy. 5 and 1 are not superhighways. Figure 50 mph, plus slowing for potholes, behind a semi in a no passing zone, construction zones, military checkpoints (which may be backed up or not), children? breaks for them, gas stop, lunch. Yes, it might take 7 or 8 hours.
Posters here will tell you how fast they drive, that they drive at night, that they do this all the time and they can make the entire peninsula in 2 days. If your trip is a race, then join their league. If you want to enjoy the drive, then allow the time to do it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 10:08 AM

A safe drive time in Baja, on highways, is to figure 50 mph average (includes stops for gas, military checkpoints, pee, and a photo op or two).

If you are in a motorhome or towing (boat, toy hauler, or travel trailer), then figure 40 mph average.

Here are some examples:
Mexicali to San Felipe (125 miles): 2.5 hrs.
San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay (97 mi): 2 hrs.
Gonzaga Bay to the Bahia de los Angeles junction (63 mi): 1.25 hr.
L.A. Bay jcn. to San Ignacio (168 mi): 3.5 hours

So, using my average speed, San Felipe to San Ignacio is just under 7 hours. Keep in mind, there could be accidents or breakdowns (by others) that may block the road (it is too narrow and often on an elevated levee, to pass).

After passing the giant eagle monument and giant flag-traffic circle, you enter the state of Baja California Sur, which is on Mountain Time, so you lose an hour, on the clock. There is also a drive-over insect spray strip (20 pesos) just past the eagle, and this is 2 miles north of the entrance road to Guerrero Negro.

Here is a distance chart for Hwy. #1, from the Auto Club. The Hwy. 5 junction (at Laguna Chapala) is between Cataviña and the L.A. Bay jcn., 31 miles south of Laguna Chapala:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I’ve traveled many places in the world - mostly alone but bringing children this time adds a different dynamic.

Mexicans love kids. They are an asset when travelling here. I got a way better reception when I had young children in Mexico than when I travelled alone. (although I never experienced anything bad travelling alone)

I found that the miltary inspections are breeze when you got kids in the car. They never make the kids get out -- so you can load up the kid's seat with guns, ammo and drugs :lol::lol:

Woke!

dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I found that the miltary inspections are breeze when you got kids in the car. They never make the kids get out -- so you can load up the kid's seat with guns, ammo and drugs :lol::lol:

Hahaha. I attended a music festival where you were not allowed to bring beer into the venue so you would have to pay for expensive vendor beer.... I loaded my wagon with beers, put down a blanket, then put my 2 year old on top of the blanket. It works every time!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 05:05 PM

Once a coyote, always a coyote? LOL

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.