Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Road Trip- Headed to Cabo
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 05:45 PM

Back in the days when our friends Angel and Paul from Zac's were doing the drive a lot with their teen aged daughters, they would hide their cash and other valuables in a big Kotex box. The inspectors wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Bwk94510  
Thank you DAVIDK - that’s definitely the type of beach I’m looking for! I didn’t realize driving on beaches in Mexico is illegal. I thought it was permitted on some beaches.

On populated city beaches, it is not wise and you could be fined. Enforcement has been mentioned in Los Barriles.

On deserted or remote beaches, there is nobody to ticket you and the locals drive on the beaches to check their fishing nets and launch boats, as well as use them to get to camping spots. The 50-mile coast from San Felipe to Puertecitos, is a regular 'beach boulevard', especially in front of the hundreds of vacation homes between Punta Estrella and El Coloradito.

If you drive, do so during low tide, on the wet sand, minimizing the time on dry sand. Turtles have been growing in numbers in the gulf and for the first time in recorded history, have begun nesting north of Puertecitos (starting around five years ago). Their eggs are in the dry sand, above the high tide line, during two months of the year (Laying eggs in this area in late September to hatching in late November). Many photos and videos of both taken near Campo La Roca, a mile south of Nuevo Mazatlan (on the 'Baja's South Campos Amigos' Facebook group.... search: turtles)

Way south, near Los Barriles, I photographed a turtle nest site with the tracks of the mother (July 19, 2012):

So, it is better to squash the clams and other creatures that live and lay eggs in the tidal zone? Perhaps it is better to just not drive on any beach, especially deserted beaches. Why are you advising someone to do something that is destructive and illegal?

Everyone one does it, right? The beaches in the south campos look like a freeway from all the tire tracks. Well, people used to think it was fun to take a train out to the great plains and shoot buffalo, leaving them to rot.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 01:53 PM

I am not advising anyone, I am just stating the facts.
The truth is that vehicle tires (properly deflated) do not penetrate into the sand as much as human (or goat) foot prints. The eggs are safer than you might think from tires, and maybe, but less safe, from feet. Coyotes are more harmful to the eggs and how do you keep them off the beach?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 02:03 PM

I am not advising anyone, I am just stating the facts.
The truth is that vehicle tires (properly deflated) do not penetrate into the sand as much as human (or goat) foot prints. The eggs are safer than you might think from tires, and maybe, but less safe, from feet. Coyotes are more harmful to the eggs and how do you keep them off the beach?

I think you are arguing in favor of vehicles, you just said foot traffic is more harmful than vehicle traffic. I think you are wrong.

The ground pressure of a human foot is on order of 8 to 10 psi. The ground pressure of a motorcycle or vehicle tire is on order of 25 to 40 psi.

You argue that vehicles should be allowed to damage nests because coyotes do. Your logic is not sound..

[Edited on 2-9-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I think you are arguing in favor of vehicles, you just said foot traffic is more harmful than vehicle traffic. I think you are wrong.

The ground pressure of a human foot is on order of 8 to 10 psi. The ground pressure of a motorcycle or vehicle tire is on order of 25 to 40 psi.

You argue that vehicles should be allowed to damage nests because coyotes do. Your logic is not sound..

I'm not taking sides, nor advocating driving on beaches. However a little math may be in order:
The contact patch of an off road truck/SUV tire, deflated to 10-14 psi while on sand is vastly larger than street pressure on asphalt. Lets say conservatively 12" wide by 12" long = 144 square inches. The weight of a Jeep, small truck, midsize SUV is around 4,000 lbs. That is 7 psi.
Note that most 2-wheel dirt bikes will "dig a trench" in sand.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 03:17 PM

For anyone who wants to check my math, remember to divide by 4, unless you can do one-wheel wheelies in a 4x4 ;)
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 03:30 PM

No one needs to drive on the beach. So just don't. Show respect for the creatures who live there, instead of giving math stats for which vehicles or foot traffic are "worse".
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I'm not taking sides, nor advocating driving on beaches. However a little math may be in order:
The contact patch of an off road truck/SUV tire, deflated to 10-14 psi while on sand is vastly larger than street pressure on asphalt. Lets say conservatively 12" wide by 12" long = 144 square inches. The weight of a Jeep, small truck, midsize SUV is around 4,000 lbs. That is 7 psi.
Note that most 2-wheel dirt bikes will "dig a trench" in sand.

Correct, less or no damage at 7 psi (Jeep) vs. 8-10 psi (human per goat). The eggs are deep and the sand disperses the weight very well.

More proof?

Are you Karens going to tell the Mexican fishermen that must stop tending their nets or launching boats? One fishing village can only be reached by driving on the beach! There are more turtles than ever, at least in the upper gulf, where they have not been seen in 60 years! Clearly, vehicles on the beach are not harming them. Maybe those who don't use a vehicle and want to walk should be banned? LOL

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 03:58 PM

Local fisherman do not normally use vehicles to haul their pangas in and out of the water, they pull them up above high tide line by hand.

No one "needs" to drive on the beach for fun. It's just redneck gringo entitlement syndrome.

[Edited on 2-9-2023 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 04:01 PM

There are more turtles than ever, at least in the upper gulf, where they have not been seen in 60 years! Clearly, vehicles on the beach are not harming them. Maybe those who don't use a vehicle and want to walk should be banned? LOL

Not clear that vehicles are not harming them. Perhaps the turtles have recovered a bit because effort to stomp out turtle soup succeeded. And maybe there would be even more turtles if a$$hat gringos would stop driving on the beach, which activity they know to be illegal, but they seem to think laws don’t apply to them, or they make up science telling themselves breaking the law is harmless to the critters the law is intended to protect.

Dk: do you eat least terns for b’fast and turtle soup for lunch? Probably not, because you know it is wrong. You also know driving on the beach is wrong, so stop telling your tourist fanboys that laws are optional in rural areas and driving on the beach is harmless.

If you keep preaching how turtles have recovered and species protection laws should now be optional, then mark and Olivia will soon be serving turtle soup again!

The turtle soup thread was the most popular thread ever on nomad — one would think that nomads are turtle lovers and not turtle haters.

Come on, man, who doesn’t love turtles?

[Edited on 2-9-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 05:02 PM

DK I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one amigo. If we ever go camping at the beach together you can camp on the beach and get sand all over everything and I will stay up on the bluff --
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Local fisherman do not normally use vehicles to haul their pangas in and out of the water, they pull them up above high tide line by hand.

No one "needs" to drive on the beach for fun. It's just redneck gringo entitlement syndrome.

[Edited on 2-9-2023 by surabi]

Well, I agree to a point... I don't drive up and down a beach for fun, I drive on the beach to get to a place I have been camping at for 45 years that can't be reached any other way. I have seen many times locals driving on the beach to check their gill nets at low tide and to pull their pangas up. No harm is coming to any animals from me. The most obscene damage to life is when they build highways and destroy wide paths of desert to do so. The dirt trails we drove before Mex. 1 was bulldozed were far more harmonious to Nature.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
DK I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one amigo. If we ever go camping at the beach together you can camp on the beach and get sand all over everything and I will stay up on the bluff --

Funny, but I like camping on sand (beach or arroyo) because it is so clean, no dirt, it brushes right off. No critters or cactus, either.
Well, maybe sidewinders? LOL

dusty.rambler

[*] posted on 2-10-2023 at 10:16 AM

Wow! This got heated! We should all just go to the beach and relax.... are we driving or walking?
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2023 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dusty.rambler  
Wow! This got heated! We should all just go to the beach and relax.... are we driving or walking?

:D :D
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2023 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bwk94510  
Quote: Originally posted by dusty.rambler  

:D :D

I agree!
Viva Baja!!
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2023 at 01:30 PM

Hello all - Thank you to everyone who gave me ideas and information on this drive. Had a wonderful trip - no issues and liked it so much 'm already planning the next roadtrip down to cabo for next year.

Check engine light went off on my jeep about 5 minutes after crossing the boarder but pushed forward and all good 5 days later when I arrived in cabo. Road was generally very good once I got used to driving a two lane highway with no shoulder and passing trucks and roaming cattle.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2023 at 02:46 PM

You forgot to set the ECM (Engine Control Module) to Spanish language upon crossing the border. jajaja
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.