Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Renewable energy (solar) plans for powering Baja California
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-18-2023 at 01:21 PM
Renewable energy (solar) plans for powering Baja California

Mexico’s Energy Regulatory Commission (CRE) has granted a permit to the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) to generate energy at the solar power farm that is under construction in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora.

The permit granted to the CFE allows for the generation of solar power at the Puerto Peñasco plant for 30 years, although it could be withdrawn if not found to be in legal compliance.

The CFE will own 54% of the plant and the Sonora state government will own 46%, according to Sonora Governor Alfonso Durazo Montaño.

The solar power plant reportedly will be the largest in Latin America and the eighth largest in the world when it is completed.

The CFE plan in Sonora could eventually free Baja California from having to buy electricity from the U.S. Government

In reports last year, it was noted that electricity generated by the plant will benefit the more than 4 million inhabitants of Sonora and Baja California, replacing Baja California’s purchase — at a high cost — of electricity from California. It will also connect electricity-strapped Baja California to the rest of the country, as it currently operates separately from the SIN.

Source: https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/sonora-mexicos-silicon-vall...

Related- some examples of what Mexico is doing with US support/investment

“There is a commitment, if the conditions are met, that four of the 10 parks are used for the generation of electricity by wind,” AMLO said. “It is an agreement with the U.S. government to contribute to facing the problem of climate change.”

He explained that U.S. banks or the U.S. government would finance the project through interest-free loans, and that companies from both countries will take part in the construction. The finished plants would be run by Mexico’s state-owned Federal Electricity Commission (CFE).

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/amlo-says-mexico-to-receive...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2023 at 03:24 PM

What part is renewable? The plastic or the metal, or the wires?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-18-2023 at 04:20 PM

at the same time you are not allowed to add solar panels to your house in BCS
You need CFE permission to do so

Harald Pietschmann
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2023 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Only if you are grid connected.

Off-grid you can do what you want.

But, yes, you need a tramite if you want net-metering.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-19-2023 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

that is correct
and CFE does no longer grant those

Harald Pietschmann
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2023 at 08:22 PM

that is correct
and CFE does no longer grant those

Damn, that's interesting.
Hopefully that changes once AMLO is gone.

On the mainland we still get them but they have become painfully slow

For awhile an incentive fee would get them done inside of 30 days but that has passed, too.

I'm sorry to see that.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2023 at 09:38 PM

I read an interesting idea ,it's called turning oil into salt. Two hundred years ago salt was a resource as valuable as oil. Countries went to war to protect their salt supply. But with the inventions of transportation, electricity, refrigeration, food processing ,salt became something you put on your food.
I doubt if I will see the day when oil is not a resource that is fought and died for. But with the renewable energy being advanced every day it will come.
So the question is do we accept the change or reject it?
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 10:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Hopefully that changes once AMLO is gone.

Why would AMLO care about that?

Maybe I don't understand because I just can't see the logic behind suppressing the development of a distributed power generation network. Seems like the CFE has no shortage of customers for their existing plants....

You'd have to read the legislation he has supported, look at the people he has appointed, but he is no friend of renewable energy.

The truth is he would love to have legislation pass that inhibits it significantly.

Logic and Mexico are two words not often used in conjunction with each other.

However, that is only my experience with solar energy design and installation over the last 8 years.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 02:17 PM

However, that is only my experience with solar energy design and installation over the last 8 years.

I'm certainly not challenging your on-site experience, just trying to understand why the guy would oppose it; from an infrastructure standpoint, distributed generation seems like a win-win.

Amlo is trying to claw back the oil industry from private business. He wants to maximize oil revenues for the benefit of the country. Not a bad approach for an oil-rich nation…
But not too green…
I dont think amlo opposes renewable energy, he just is more focused on maximizing petroleum revenue for country (and not for private industry).
Renewable energy is being developed, just not as fast as the renewable crowds wants.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 02:20 PM

I'm certainly not challenging your on-site experience, just trying to understand why the guy would oppose it; from an infrastructure standpoint, distributed generation seems like a win-win.

No, I did not think you were.

As an extranjero and observer it makes zero sense unless you take into account a monetary favor based government that is completely pretty much hands off when it comes to crime at any high level.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 02:21 PM

Nyt article on amlo and energy
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/17/world/americas/mexico-pre...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2023 at 09:05 AM

[/rquote]

that is correct
and CFE does no longer grant those[/rquote]

I reached out to a friend that works for a national solar company and she told me that it took 2 years for the tramite/bi-directional meter to process for their last job in Baja Sur.

Ridiculous.

I guess that would promote a lot of work arounds and also promote battery based systems.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2023 at 08:05 PM

I reached out to a friend that works for a national solar company and she told me that it took 2 years for the tramite/bi-directional meter to process for their last job in Baja Sur.

Amazing! Is this solar company owned and staffed by Mexican nationals?

Sounds like a lack of connections. Or lubrication. :cool:

What this shows is that solar installation with bidirectional permits to sell back power can be processed in bcs, but it takes time. Everything with CFE is slower and more difficult or nearly impossible due to politics, perhaps incompetence and perhaps intentionally slowing down the process $$$.

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2023 at 08:35 PM

Amazing! Is this solar company owned and staffed by Mexican nationals?

Sounds like a lack of connections. Or lubrication. :cool:

They have operations all over Mexico.
They definitely know how to get it done but they are facing a backwards moving government.

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2023 at 08:26 AM

[/rquote]
Interesting.

Personally, I've always been pretty happy with the CFE, but I haven't dealt with them during this sexenio.[/rquote]

There is a lot at play.
AMLO is a populist/nationalist and his big emphasis is national pride.
Two of the biggest national pride displays are CFE and PEMEX.

There is a direct correlation between buying energy from PEMEX to make energy for CFE.

Also, CFE has realized that profits diminish with more and more RE pumping into the grid.

Here they can use the excuse that a transformer is too small, etc, and they try to ignore the legislation in place.

I have read the legislation, discussed it with other providers, small, big, suppliers, etc.
None of his stonewalling is legit but there are many ways to slow the future down.

There is more but I would bore you to death.

It will shake out, hopefully when he is gone.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2023 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Anything the NYT's says has to be taken with a huge does of skepticism. Dropping articles like that is how ppl get brainwashed.

[Edited on 2-22-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2023 at 01:13 PM

JZ: you sound like an kid who doesn’t know the difference between facts and myths and misinformation.

Pick up a NYT’s sometime and just give it a read with your wonderful and powerful skeptical eye.

Your fears are a map to your freedom.

Newspapers are indeed run by humans.

You won’t find NYT reporters hyping conspiracy theories to get ratings like they do at Fox.

You can do it! I believe in you.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2023 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
JZ: you sound like an kid who doesn’t know the difference between facts and myths and misinformation.

Pick up a NYT’s sometime and just give it a read with your wonderful and powerful skeptical eye.

Your fears are a map to your freedom.

Newspapers are indeed run by humans.

You won’t find NYT reporters hyping conspiracy theories to get ratings like they do at Fox.

You can do it! I believe in you.

NYT's and WaPo are activists, not journalists. Fox is very similar. Both should be used very selectively to make an argument. No way I'm trusting them to make unbiased comments on Mexico's energy policy.

The real problem is for every Fox there are 20 NYT's.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2023 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Anything the NYT's says has to be taken with a huge does of skepticism. Dropping articles like that is how ppl get brainwashed.

[Edited on 2-22-2023 by JZ]

I can't read the article but the headline is accurate.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2023 at 03:01 PM

AMLO is a populist/nationalist and his big emphasis is national pride.

Historically, the balance between private and federal control of critical resources, has been polemic. Private investment in that sector-- especially foreign capital-- is often perceived as against national interests, and I suspect that part of AMLO's resistance is a perception that opening up to all these foreign companies covetously eyeing Mexico as a ripe plumb for renewal energy investment, his fear of too much outside influence.

Which is not baseless, looking at the country's history.

But why he's not pointing the CFE itself more towards renewables, puzzles me: that could be an additional source of energy, which is always a good thing for a developing country, and all that oil which is now destined to be burned for electrical power, could be sold to a petroleum-hungry international market. <shrug>

I think the issue here is you are applying common and economic sense.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.