understanding Mexico

a must see if you want to understand Mexico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzgMePQvSdc

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 09:03 AM

I watched this yesterday. It's interesting.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 11:33 AM

Video shows how geography and climate concentrated the population of Mexico in the central highlands; a geographical and climatological "sweet spot" for growing maize on a large scale. Such places enabled humans to make the leap from nomadic hunting and gathering to agricultural societies that stayed in one place.

It was a similar climatological sweet spot in the middle east that gave rise to western civilization. Indeed, all of the trappings of modern western society can be traced back to a particular type of grass that had a large seed kernel, the predecessor to modern wheat.

What Europe had going for it that Mexico did not have was navigable waterways. Otherwise, the Aztecs might have conquered the Spaniards instead of the other way around.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 11:45 AM

I've seen some what similar videos on Spain. Showing how mountains have made very large dead zones in the center of the country with few people.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 02:17 PM

I found it to be a very interesting presentation, thanks.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 07:17 PM

Really interesting and excellent presentation. Thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 07:55 PM

one part made me cringe though

"you can't build roads with concrete in the jungle, because it is too wet for the cement to dry"

cement does not dry - it hardens/cures
it is a chemical process (28 days)
this process will even happen under water

Harald Pietschmann
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 08:10 PM

That jumped out at me, too. In fact, you want to keep fresh cement and concrete wet for as long as possible after it has set, hosing it down a couple times a day if the weather is dry and sunny. The longer it stays damp, the stronger it is. Concrete and cement that dries out too quickly is weaker and prone to cracking.

[Edited on 2-21-2023 by surabi]
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

"you can't build roads with concrete in the jungle, because it is too wet for the cement to dry"

I didn't know that. Huge mistake in the video.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-21-2023 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I didn't know that. Huge mistake in the video.

minor flaw
but it undermines credibility

Harald Pietschmann
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2023 at 08:44 PM

That was quite interesting.
Having lived on the coast of Nayarit and Jalisco along with time in the Bajio it was nice to see this summary.

Thanks for sharing
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-25-2023 at 09:55 AM

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Divert  

I'm also sorry to hear that MrBill's wife has died a few months ago. It was in the Yucca City news.

Sad news. She was a nomad but did not post here. Hope mrbill returns to entertain us.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  

Excellent book. Helps explain why Mexicans are so undependable. In their mind they're not. They reserve the freedom to decide which appointments they are free to break and which can't be broken. Their world is much more malleable than ours.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 08:17 PM

Just for the record, I know many Mexicans who are very dependable. Have a good evening everyone.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 08:29 PM

Ditto. My cleaner, who has been working for me for 2 years, has never shown up late or been a no show and if she has some conflict on her normal cleaning day, which has only happened once, and involved her daughter graduating that day, she messaged me days ahead of time to see if she could switch the day that week. The cleaner I had before that for 5 years was just as reliable. My plumber shows up when he says he will, and the guy who runs the internet company I use always messages all his clients ahead of time if he needs to do maintenance on his system, telling us when there will be an outage and for how long.

It's one thing to note cultural differences that tend to apply in some circumstances, but a statement like "Helps explain why Mexicans are so undependable" is pretty discriminatory.

[Edited on 3-3-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 3-3-2023 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Excellent book. Helps explain why Mexicans are so undependable.

I try to ignore a$$hat gringos that make blanket statements that “Mexicans are so undependable.” Such people are ignoramuses.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2023 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Excellent book. Helps explain why Mexicans are so undependable.

I try to ignore a$$hat gringos that make blanket statements that “Mexicans are so undependable.” Such people are ignoramuses.

No, it's you that's an ignoramus. And a crude one at that.

If you lived in Mexico rather than pontificate from whichever rathole you live in then you would know what I'm talking about. In fact, if you read the book you would know to shut your yap. Calling someone a racist because he recognizes a culture that is different than your is racist itself because it means that you judge others by your own culture and can't accept differences. So you're the racist because you measure others by your own measuring stick.

Mexicans are very dependable in business arrangements. That is true. But in personal interactions they are liberal with commitments. When a Mexican party is scheduled to start at 7pm guests start to arrive at 8:30.

Mexicans prioritize agreeability over veracity. They will make commitments they don't intend to commit to because they wish to make you happy. The current moment is all important. The future is not. Saying no ruins the current interaction. To a Mexican saying yes is preferrable and later simply not act on the commitment. I have seen this too many times to doubt this about their culture. Yes, it's lying but Mexicans don't see it as a big deal. As I stated earlier, all arrangements are propositions that may or may not be kept depending on circumstances. What is more surprising is that often when a simple phone call could be made to notify the person they will not show up it does not come. This is acceptable because they act that way with one another and understand that just as they may not keep a commitment, so they do not expect a firm commitment from others. I am talking about commitments for engagements. Hell, I have workers who complete half of a project and then simply don't show up to finish it because the work is not to their liking. I have had agreements to meet with someone to go somewhere and left waiting with a no show. More than once. Then on the next encounter nothing is mentioned.

So Goat, next time before running your mouth off know what you're talking about because you're big on name calling and accusations but you really don't know much about life down here. Basically, you're an ignorant man.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2023 at 09:35 AM

Skipjack, I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate on your statement. I wish you a good day.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-4-2023 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Skipjack, I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate on your statement. I wish you a good day.

Ditto! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.