Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bad pot hole on Hwy. 5, near Arroyo Matomí
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 11:38 AM
Bad pot hole on Hwy. 5, near Arroyo Matomí

A traveling Nomad hit this pothole and it blew out his sidewall. It was about 500 feet south of the Km. 57 marker.
Photo coming.

Image8348751492525408534.jpg_01.jpg - 255kB

[Edited on 2-26-2023 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 02:10 PM

Thanks, I am fine with just sharing in this Road Conditions forum.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
A traveling Nomad hit this pothole and it blew out his sidewall. It was about 500 feet south of the Km. 57 marker.
Photo coming.

[Edited on 2-26-2023 by David K]

If you report on 1 pothole, shouldn’t you report on the 10,000 other potholes?

Whats the point of reporting just 1?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 03:55 PM

Because it is that one that gave a Nomad a flat tire. :rolleyes:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 06:52 PM

Oh, not to worry goat... I will allow you to post a helpful photo for Baja travelers, first.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 09:12 PM

Oh, not to worry goat... I will allow you to post a helpful photo for Baja travelers, first.
😂
Thanks for the heads up David. Very useful information, especially for those with a 50,000 lb Motor home running with 8 $1,000 tires plus at 4 more on the vehicle they are towing.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Because it is that one that gave a Nomad a flat tire. :rolleyes:

Ok. Thanks for that important news. Please be sure to report back when it the road is fixed. Do you know estimated repair date? Will you be placing traffic cone to warn drivers. Please let us know.

Try adding some value to this post or get the F off!

Re potholes. There are two capable of doing damage. Second one is smaller but just as deep. Don’t know the area. Btwn Percebu and Chapala.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 10:07 PM

Good Grief Gentlemen.
David was posting to be helpful. No reason to be snarky . If his post is not relevant to you , keep riding along.
It used to be this site posted such information to aid Baja travellers. That was what made it the go to place to get current info.
What a loss that all the political chite has taken precedence that ends up getting used by ya all to jab at one another like little kids. And all of you are guilty of it.
Que tonto
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 11:02 PM

Photo coming.

There aren't 10,000 potholes like the one pictured. This is exactly why this "road conditions" forum exists.

Seems to be a senseless amount of shame being thrown around here like confetti. How 'bout we tighten down on that just a bit? Everyones kind understanding and consideration is greatly appreciated!!

:biggrin:

[Edited on 2-27-2023 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2023 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Photo coming.

There aren't 10,000 potholes like the one pictured. This is exactly why this "road conditions" forum exists.

Seems to be a senseless amount of shame being thrown around here like confetti. How 'bout we tighten down on that just a bit? Everyones kind understanding and consideration is greatly appreciated!!

:biggrin:

Thanks to David for the timely and helpful report and Baja Nomad for the reminder that we need to be more respectful of each other.

[Edited on 2-27-2023 by BajaNomad]

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2023 at 02:30 PM

Memory returning. Smaller and just as dangerous hole I hit was before the big one. Watched tire psi on instrument panel for hours. Wheel was ok.

Paranoid now swerved missing the big one and said oh sh!t!

Cuidado mucho.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-27-2023 at 04:50 PM

I think pot holes are sexy.....

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2023 at 12:14 PM

The French chick from Pulp Fiction. Excellent choice my friend😎
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2023 at 01:45 PM

Please, don't anyone complain that I take a thread off topic! :lol: :lol:

(Have a great day you guys!) :biggrin:

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2023 at 04:24 PM

I found the OP to be a service announcement.

We all have seen lots of potholes of this size over the years of Baja travel. When traveling in Baja I am aware of the possibility that such a pothole can be hit and I have hit a few. But I have never blown out a sidewall by hitting a pothole. Now rocks cutting the sidewall while traveling with deflated tires is a different story.

Thus I said to myself when reading this post, "Self, what contributed to this sidewall blowout"?

That lead to wondering about information not provided by the OP.

Information as to how deep was the pothole, center and on the margins?

How fast was the vehicle travelling when it hit the pothole?

How many miles did the tires have on them when they blew out a sidewall?

What brand and model were the tires?
And of course, drumroll, to how much psi were the tires inflated when the vehicle hit the pothole? :bounce:

Regarding the demise of civility here. One person has the power to change that with just a few clicks. They have clearly demonstrated their reluctance to do so. That, understandably, keeps a lot of people away from here.

Ni modo.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-28-2023 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
The French chick from Pulp Fiction. Excellent choice my friend😎

thank god somebody recognised Fabienne from Quentin's masterpiece....it was intended to be a spin on her saying "I think pot belly's are sexy" :lol:....things sure are funnier when you drink!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2023 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
I found the OP to be a service announcement.

We all have seen lots of potholes of this size over the years of Baja travel. When traveling in Baja I am aware of the possibility that such a pothole can be hit and I have hit a few.

Quite the generalization. I’ve never hit a pothole that made me cringe in my life and have never seen a hole as big as this one. 60 years driving Baja. Guess I’m lucky.

I only know Hgwys 1, 19, and 5. Don’t think we’re writing about the same Baja.

F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 06:08 AM

Don Jorge, the person who got the flat cannot say for certain it was that pothole causing the flat. However, when he arrived at a camping beach some 50 miles south, his tire (a BFG All Terrain TA, as I recall) had a sidewall leak. That pothole was the only incident he had that may have caused it. The next day (Sunday), he drove north to San Felipe, taking that photo of it, and got the tire repaired. He returned south to continue his expedition.

The photo was posted to warn of this crater in the highway. He came upon it suddonly, expecting smaller holes before any giant ones to serve as a warning.

Be patient amigos, as this person is a Baja Nomad who posts trip reports. You all will hear the story from him directly. This was simply a Baja Road Condition alert, in the Baja Road Conditions forum.

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 06:38 AM

Thanks David

I will watch for it on my way north.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 06:47 AM

It was reported on Facebook's Puertecitos Happenings page and others, yesterday, that the pot hole is now repaired!

Just goes to show you, a little publicity gets results! (or just a coincidence, lol)

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.