BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Shore fishing in March?
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 11:13 PM
Shore fishing in March?

I find myself staring out at the water and thinking about fishing on my annual Baja trips. The thing is, I haven't done much fishing since I was a teenager pulling panfish out of lakes in the midwest.

I have a rod and reel with sealed bearings, some braided and standard line, and a few octopus lures.

What might I find along the gulf or Pacific coasts? I'll spend time in San Felipe, Punta Final, BOLA, Bahia Concepción, Loreto, Bahia Asuncion and maybe the Seven Sisters on my trip this March.

What should I add to my kit and what might I find fishing the surf in these areas?

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 07:23 AM

Always good fishing on the rocky shores. Cast over structure. Throw 0.75 and 1 oz spoons (krokodiles, candy bars) and minnows. Can also throw leadheads with plastic swim baits.
On pacific shores always cabrilla, sand bass, sea bass, rock fish, grouper, smelt, flounder, etc.
You don’t need a license to shore fish.

I use a spinning reel, with 25 or 30 pound braid line. Some people add leader, I rarely do.

When the fish are biting, they will bite most anything, and lure type doesn’t really matter. Best fishing mornings, evenings.

[Edited on 3-2-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 09:02 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will stop by a sporting good store and grab some basics. And I guess I need to relearn my knots. Amy thoughts on the gulf side? Punta Final looks like a fun place to cast.

Thoughts on bait vs lures?

[Edited on 2023-3-5 by WideAngleWandering]

Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 10:09 AM

Cut squid is always a good choice, fish like it and it stays on your hook for awhile. I always take a #4 Sabiki rig to catch sardines and other bait fish and I take a airator ( Bubble Box) to keep my bait fish alive in a bucket
Good luck
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 10:23 AM

Gulf side, krocs are good, but as mentioned, rock structure is your friend and they'll hang up on shallower water. I've had success with 4-5" floating rapalas that only dive a few feet. Fish have a great sense of smell and it doesn't hurt to sacrifice your first fish to add a tidbit to a kroc. I've seen people catch fish with a weight, hook, and bait but I can't sit still for that. In short, the fish will bite most anything but you may have move around a bit to find where they are. If you aren't catching it's not due to your lure, there's no fish in that spot.

Bring extra hooks for whatever lures you have. Triggerfish destroy hooks.

[Edited on 3-2-2023 by bkbend]

[Edited on 3-2-2023 by bkbend]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 10:47 AM

Since you’re going South, go further. Santa Rosalia, etc.

Catching Sierra around San Pedrito. Others not me. I like Crocs but Matadors, more.

Baja starts at BCS.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 10:47 AM

Goat is spot on, pretty much all I throw is 3/4 oz krokodiles. Swim baits would work but they get destroyed pretty quick with the triggers and blowies nipping at the tail.

Unless you need casting practice, don't bother wetting a line this side of Puertecitos. Any where south of Gonzaga you can get to the water it could be game on. High tide seems to be better but low tide off the rocks you can walk out on could work well too. Sand bottoms near rocky outcroppings are good for halibut.

40 or 50 lb braid with 20 or 30 yards of 15 lb mono top shot works well for me, that way I can retie after every few fish or getting caught up in the rocks with a successful retrieval. If you have time, look here, http://www.johnnyspond.com/luhr-jensen-krocodile-lures.html for krocs, they have a lot and pretty good prices.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 10:53 AM

remember the most productive lure in your box is the one you believe in, I carry nothing but a handful of krocs.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Goat is spot on, pretty much all I throw is 3/4 oz krokodiles. Swim baits would work but they get destroyed pretty quick with the triggers and blowies nipping at the tail.

fishing with newbies and kids, the krocs are expensive when peeps keep losing them hooking on rocks; sometimes i use the cheaper spoons, but this may require putting on stronger hooks. swimbaits do get destroyed, but they are pretty cheap.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 12:05 PM

Ask the locals. Oftentimes a certain lure works best in a particular spot, for a particular fish. Once, north of Puerto Vallarta, I spent a couple hours throwing Rapalas at boiling batfish, with no success. Back on the beach in front of the hotel I saw a local guy casting out a silver jig and reeling it back in through the surf as fast as he could and catching ladyfish one after another.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 03:05 PM

Best fishing in the Asuncion area is from beaches, not rocky points. Cut bait and berkeley bait sand worms work best. Fish average 14" in size. March is not the best time of year because the sand crabs are gone.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2023 at 12:00 PM

I would suggest you get a copy of The Baja Catch by Kelly and Kira. Probably one of the best books for fishing the Baja shore line. For bait I like to use Berkley Gulp. It's artificial bait. You don't have to mess with live bait.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2023 at 12:17 PM

One of the best shore fishing spot in all of Baja is north of Guerrero Negro near Villa Jesus Maria. West to Laguna Manuela. Their are several coves near the light house and north of that is a long beach (12miles) all are pretty good surf fishing. Mostly yellow fin croaker, spot fin croaker, Halibut, and corbina. I've also caught sand shark and leopard shark in the surf at long beach if you like shark. They were about 24-30 inches long. My dogs loved em when I cooked em, no bones to deal with.

My other favorite spot is further north along the 7 sisters at Punta Blanco. Fresh caught fish is the best.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2023 at 01:15 PM

Thank you for all the good tips. I'll have to check out that book too - I don't think i can get my hands on it before I leave next week but definitely for next time.

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2023 at 01:21 PM

Some great suggestions here both on what and where. The Pacific side between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro has great surf fishing although March is not the best month for any type of fishing in that area.

One suggestion to add. Get a sand spike and use it for your baited surf fishing rig, that is if you are fishing a standard surf gangion with 2 hooks and weight at the bottom.

If you are using a Carolina rig or an egg sinker, swivel and hook in the surf using sand crabs, squid, gulps etc, that is a more hands on style and the sand spike is not needed.

But in case you do fish using a sand spike it frees you up to use another rig and throw jigs. Super fun to catch one on a jig and then see your bait rig bend and hurry up!

Good luck. Tight lines.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2023 at 01:22 PM

The 3rd edition was the last copyright and the last printing was I think 1998. There are usually a used copy for sale on ebay but if you google it you shouldn't have any problem finding it. Just don't pay too much. My new copy when I bought it was $21.95.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2023 at 03:40 PM

Lotsa jargon here for me to translate lol. I ordered some cheap 3/4oz spoons and leaders to make life a bit easier. I plan to cast and reel and see what bites.

I also ordered a copy of the 2nd edition, used, of that book. $20. A quick search had the third edition over $50. That would buy a lot of squid hunks and fish hooks.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-3-2023 at 07:59 PM

A lot of times at high tide the halibut are super close to shore so throwing straight to is a lot of wasted cranking. Throw at 45 ish degrees to the shore and you will be in the zone longer with you retrieve. You will figure out where you are getting bit pretty quick and know where to fish.

Good luck and don't forget the wasabi and soy for some beach sashimi either. Wasabi is hard to find down here.

If you're in San Felipe for any amount of time, hit me up and we can have some tacos and BS about fishing.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2023 at 08:51 PM

I like that idea. San Felipe will be our first stop. Am looking forward to breakfast at Chumpo's and garlic clams at Rosita's. Let's see if we can connect.

chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2023 at 07:41 PM

Low light conditions are BEST from shore. Sunrise/sunset with whatever you decide to throw at em. Suerte.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.