BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Big Pemex Rip Off, near La Paz, yesterday...
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-5-2023 at 07:38 PM
I think we’re talking about this place.

The Pemex is behind the restaurant which has good food. We eat there at times. I have noticed that there are usually a number of people hanging out between the back of the restaurant and the gas station. Sketchy looking people. Not the best PEMEX sation.

0969FBF5-FC1A-4CD9-9692-1A7089CE2B4F.jpeg - 245kB
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2023 at 07:50 PM

Interesting read. Got cash from an ATM downtown San Jose, CR. Immediate scam charges. Admit to being paranoid now about possibilities for cc scam anywhere.

Only carry 2 cards don’t want to deal with my bank on this. Yeah a bit more than 5 minutes to get things straight.

Gas stations? Never ever gonna use a cc.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2023 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

I said I had seldom seen anyone use CCs on the mainland. That you used your CC a thousand times in Sonora is irrelevant.
And no, it doesn't take 5 minutes to resolve a stolen or fraudulently used CC or debit card. It took a couple hours on the phone when my cards were stolen and fraudulently used.

2hrs, lol. You need to change your bank.

[Edited on 3-6-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2023 at 08:11 PM

So many itt afraid to change with the times. My dad use to carry a fat wallet with cash too.

I use Venmo or Zelle to send cash 20x more times than using actual cash. Nearly every single person under 30 (maybe 40) in the US has one of the two. Including a lot of the Mexican immigrants.

Cash is for tipping strippers at the club. :light:

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2023 at 10:16 PM

I use a Charles Schaab debit card in baja. No transaction fees, easy to cancel a transaction. Not all credit cards are the same do your homework. Monitor your transactions be proactive. It's easy ,take your money out from under your mattress and make it work for you.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
The Pemex is behind the restaurant which has good food. We eat there at times. I have noticed that there are usually a number of people hanging out between the back of the restaurant and the gas station. Sketchy looking people. Not the best PEMEX sation.

"La Ardilla" = "The Squirrel". I'm hoping that isn't what makes the restaurant good. :lol:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 07:58 AM
Fraud-ian slip?

My most recent brush with fraud came in the form of an email from the Massachusetts Unemployment Office warning me that I couldn't receive benefits if I didn't change my PIN. It was immediately fishy because I'm still employed and am not "in the system"! Apparently someone had my name, contact info and Social Security Number and was trying to use it to get unemployment benefits from the state. The would-be fraud wasn't very bright, adding their home phone number to my contact info. I had to wait on hold for an hour to clear it up, as it seems there have been a rash of these fraud attempts. My Social Security Number was exposed in an OMB breach at least 10 years ago - a gift that keeps on giving.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 08:00 AM

This time I think Goat has it right.:o Cash. Get it before you leave, and if you need more, use an ATM in one of the banks to get more. Never trusted cc's in Mexico. Guess I'm just old school, but I like cash.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 08:49 AM

Traveling in Central and South America over the years, I always kept my cards in a metal sleeve. Card readers where someone could get your information just by brushing up against you as well as readers inserted in the ATMs were a big problem. This is before the chip, not sure if that makes things more secure nowadays.
Bottom line is there are sophisticated thieves watching you at the ATM and anywhere you use your card.
Using a credit card anywhere in this country for daily purchases is risky, and if you have not been victimized, consider yourself fortunate. I know of too many bad experiences of card theft. When you acknowledge that the average cashier/ attendant makes less than $100 for a six day week, you might reconsider using the plastic at the Pemex or anywhere else.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 09:59 AM
From my same warning on a Facebook group page, 3/5/23:

Dan Vandenheede
Same happened to us, same station two days ago. We were able to put a stop on it as well. Thank you for sharing.

I posted the asvisory on my two groups (VivaBaja, BajaMissions) and on the Baja Overlanding group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajaoverlanding/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 10:23 AM

David. Ck in? Yur opinion pros cons on cc’s down here.

Cancamo wrote it. Thx for checking in.

Murphy’s Law? See it everyday everywhere. Cosmic joke to see if yur getting it.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
So many itt afraid to change with the times.

Just because people don't do things the way you do doesn't mean they're "afraid to change with the times", anymore than you portraying those who took Covid seriously as "cowering in their basements".

[Edited on 3-6-2023 by surabi]
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 12:32 PM

We use our c/c as much as possible in both the US & Baja...we just take precautions.  All of our c/c send a text to our cell phones & emails the moment a charge is initiated, which averages about four to five a week, if that much.  No matter where we are...Wal-Mart, Costco, restaurants, gas stations, I immediately say to the person in Spanish "look, a notification from my bank telling me about this charge."  I love seeing the looks on their faces, something my hubby teases me about. 

If we go to a place we are not familiar with or do not feel comfortable, then we will use pesos.  We also do not let the c/c leave our table/sight.  If the establishment does not have a wireless c/c terminal, then the hubby will go with the person to the c/c terminal or again we will pay in pesos.

As far as social security numbers, we froze all three of our credit reports, which also freezes the ss# in 2005.  Anyone trying to run a credit check or open an account with your ss# will get declined immediately.  Before freezing our reports I confirmed with our insurance companies/banks if this would be a problem to which all said "no".  We have all the c/c we need, we have no intention of buying a different house or car.  If that time comes we can then unfreeze our credit report..as long as you know your PIN # along with the answers to your security question it is a very easy process.  I will say by freezing our credit reports it cuts out all the junk mail that says 'you are preapproved".  I also monitor all of our financial accounts every morning which takes only a few minutes.

To each his own but I would prefer the protection of a c/c instead of a debit card that can drain the cash from your checking/savings account.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 12:56 PM

Add to list do not use CC at pemix Walmart Ensenada . Three times card hacked. Cash is king
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 01:27 PM

" I would prefer the protection of a c/c instead of a debit card that can drain the cash from your checking/savings account."

When my Canadian Scotiabank debit card was stolen and the thieves immediately used it for an $800 purchase, I did get reimbursed the money. However, that may not always be the case, I assume.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 05:40 PM

i was at the gas station today using my credit card....

when you pay there is an option for dollars or pesos

if the dollar button is pushed in error, then you pay dollars instead of pesos
BIG difference

could have been an error by the attendant

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 07:40 PM

I use Pesos for gas and meals in Baja. Credit card usually for hotel but not always. I've had my B of A card used by bad guys a couple of times and the bank called me, they cancelled the transaction and gave me a new card.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
When will y’all learn that you should pay cash at gas stations?

There should be a sticky thread on nomad that says: “do not use CC at gas stations!”

local forums have reported elaborate cash scams at that same gas station over the last few days

in a primal society where everybody is out to eff you, your only protection is your own vigilance
and if something goes wrong - don't whine on the forums!
Call the police!
Gringos are such whimps in Baja.

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
i was at the gas station today using my credit card....

when you pay there is an option for dollars or pesos

if the dollar button is pushed in error, then you pay dollars instead of pesos
BIG difference

could have been an error by the attendant

Did you read my follow up? Same 'accident' happened to others there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 03:54 PM

Since credit cards became more common at Baja gas stations I have been going that route for years, with pesos as a backup. Saves me trips to the ATM. I have never had an issue but I will be on the lookout. I think I still prefer the credit card over carrying a fat wad of pesos. Worst case is a call to the credit card company to report fraud.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.