BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Big Pemex Rip Off, near La Paz, yesterday...
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
When will y’all learn that you should pay cash at gas stations?

There should be a sticky thread on nomad that says: “do not use CC at gas stations!”

local forums have reported elaborate cash scams at that same gas station over the last few days

in a primal society where everybody is out to eff you, your only protection is your own vigilance
and if something goes wrong - don't whine on the forums!
Call the police!
Gringos are such whimps in Baja.

Amen.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 10:21 PM

I don't think it is whining to keep one another informed about local goings-on here in the forums.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 11:16 AM

Never been a good idea to use credit cards for most purchases, especially for fuel.

elsudcaliforniano.com.mx/local/municipios/tarjetas-bancarias-pueden-ser-clonadas-en-comercios-9779342.html
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 12:34 PM

Why not? The credit card company assumes all the risk if they decide to snarf the card and make bogus charges.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
Since credit cards became more common at Baja gas stations I have been going that route for years, with pesos as a backup. Saves me trips to the ATM. I have never had an issue but I will be on the lookout. I think I still prefer the credit card over carrying a fat wad of pesos. Worst case is a call to the credit card company to report fraud.

My experience and view is different. Never had a scam while getting gas. But I’ve never used a cc and never will.

I use ATM once a week along with other errands. Takes minutes. Pay cash for everything. No problem carrying “fat wad” of cash. Go figure.

I use AT&T and can’t always get through calling out. 50/50 that’s the phone system in Pescadero. Had to reach my bank when scammed once in Costa Rica. It wasn’t fun and I swore never again, if I could help it. More than a big deal to me.

Gas stations? I see gas stations as the most likely place I would be scammed.

Be on the lookout for possible scams using a cc for gas? Once outside San Felipe, no cell coverage? Oh you must mean 4 hours later when I get to GN. Got it.

You trust the MX system. I dont not even a little.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 03:54 PM

In my world travels (yes world) I try to figure a how much cash I will reasonably need. Then I DOUBLE the amount and only use coin of the realm. I NEVER use C Cards! I go to Wells Fargo in SoCal for Pesos and Merchants Bank in San Francisco for the more exotic currencies.
I learned the hard way by running out of cash in New Guinea years ago. Long story.

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 05:50 PM

Why not? The credit card company assumes all the risk if they decide to snarf the card and make bogus charges.

Yes, the CC company eats the loss, but they also cancel your card as soon as fraud is reported or detected, then you experience the inconvenience of having to wait for new card to come in mail, and the the inconvenience of having to change your CC number for your monthly bills that hit your card (because you got all your automatic bills on CC to get points or cash back). :lol::lol::no::no::no::no:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 06:23 PM

I always use a cc for gas in mexico, never had fraud, I use cc the has the highest intl rate with no xtra charges plus 1-3 % back, but never at a unknown (new) location, if fraud occurs I can cancel and get a new card in 48 hours while also canceling all transactions at the location. If you are using cc then you must be prepared to immediately report fraud and order a new card and number, so, you need some cards for gas and some for other purchase and another you never use in public for any regular billing.

You need to manage rates, costs, risks, and do what's right in the moment, right now peso is falling slightly to dollar and there are many cards with cash back up yo 3% with no fees so it makes sense to use a cc if you buy a lot of gas. If you are just running short errands in town cash is best.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 07:28 PM

Seriously.

I've lived full time in Mexico for close to 11 years and use my CC everwhere for the points.

One time I had an issue ( way less than in the USA ) and the DHL'd me one in less than 24 hours.

Other times they have fraud alerted me and I declined the charge and was free to continue using my existing card.
That only happened maybe two times, though, in over a decade.

But, yeah, cash is nice, too, but I get no points with cash.

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2023 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Yes, the CC company eats the loss, but they also cancel your card as soon as fraud is reported or detected, then you experience the inconvenience of having to wait for new card to come in mail, and the the inconvenience of having to change your CC number for your monthly bills that hit your card (because you got all your automatic bills on CC to get points or cash back). :lol::lol::no::no::no::no:

Not my card.
They've asked me about charges, twice in over a decade they were not mine.

They asked me if I was in possession of the card and when I answered in the affirmative they declined the two charges and kept my card active.

The time outside of that ( years ago ) they DHL'd me a card in 24 hours.

It wasn't an awful experience.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 05:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Seriously.

I've lived full time in Mexico for close to 11 years and use my CC everwhere for the points.

One time I had an issue ( way less than in the USA ) and the DHL'd me one in less than 24 hours.

Other times they have fraud alerted me and I declined the charge and was free to continue using my existing card.

Do you live in Baja? Doesn’t sound like you do.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Seriously.

No, but I did have a home there for 10 years and traveled there almost 25 and, on occasion drive the very north port if for some reason I have to return to CA but, believe it or not, I have never had an issue with my CC during that time.

Does that count?

On edit I should state I have never had a CC issue in Baja California.
I already related the other issues.

[Edited on 3-21-2023 by soulpatch]
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 01:16 PM

Well, I can understand the inconvenience of having a card deactivated due to fraud. It has never happened to me in Baja though, and I carry two cards so I have a backup. The one I use for fuel doesn't have any bills paid on it so minimal hassle if it gets deactivated.

I also carry two debit cards from different banks (only for ATM machines, never for point of sale purchases), keep enough pesos and USD for a fillup (sometimes the CC machine is down), divide my cash between multiple stashes, carry a pair of drivers licenses and have a decoy wallet. Having redundancy makes it so I don't have to dedicate any brain power to worrying about fraud, ripoffs, theft, etc.

I find a credit card for fuel to be pretty convenient. That will change tho if CC fraud becomes widespread.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Seriously.

No, but I did have a home there for 10 years and traveled there almost 25 and, on occasion drive the very north port if for some reason I have to return to CA but, believe it or not, I have never had an issue with my CC during that time.

Does that count?

On edit I should state I have never had a CC issue in Baja California.
I already related the other issues.

[Edited on 3-21-2023 by soulpatch]

Of course your experience counts and I believe you’ve had a stroke of good luck. Stars align for you.

I’ve lived 20 years in the Todos/Pescadero area, Winter months, and your experience might be true for some here, but not me. Getting a phone connection here is 50/50.

Power goes out regularly, internet is spotty at times, water gets delivered sometimes and sometimes no.

Nothing like you’ve described. Must be regional.

F*ck it.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 03:43 PM

[/rquote]

Of course your experience counts and I believe you’ve had a stroke of good luck. Stars align for you.

I’ve lived 20 years in the Todos/Pescadero area, Winter months, and your experience might be true for some here, but not me. Getting a phone connection here is 50/50.

Power goes out regularly, internet is spotty at times, water gets delivered sometimes and sometimes no.

Nothing like you’ve described. Must be regional.[/rquote]

No doubt.... regional differences abound!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2023 at 10:33 PM

I use my credit card here all the time, gas station, lumber yard, restaurants, stores, etc. No problems so far, but not really worried because I get a notice on my phone for any charge.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 08:42 AM

I was at a hotel this week that is “cashless.” No cash accepted, only CC or debit card. Big signs in lobby and in restaurant saying “cashless.”

But car valet and restaurant waiters had gone rogue and were accepting cash for tips. Perhaps these rebellious employees will be fired soon?

You pemex-credit-card-users: do you tip attendant in cash or do you have them add tip on your CC bill? :lol:

[Edited on 4-1-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 08:58 AM
Just remember that....

Always, or Never, is Usually, bad advice!

[Edited on 4-1-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.