Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Traveling to Gonzaga Bay
striperslayer24

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 03:40 PM
Traveling to Gonzaga Bay

Hello everyone! I am planning a fishing trip with a friend to Gonzaga Bay for the end of May. We are looking to cross the border, go through Mexicali, and take the 5 down to our destination. This would be my first time driving in Baja and I understand there are risks traveling down South, so I was wondering if anyone had advice based on their experiences for a first-timer. We would only be taking a truck (no trailer). Currently looking to stay at Alfonsinas or stay at a fish camp and charter a panga. Any tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

P.S. Is there a way to find if others are traveling on the same dates? Might be nice to have a caravan for the way down.

Tight Lines!

- Dane
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 08:15 PM

Welcome.
There is a forum here just for your request: Shared Rides, convoys, ...
Alfonsina's has not had many positive reports since it turned into a boutique hotel about when Highway 5 was completed.
Otherwise, Gonzaga is a beautiful bay and my family's first destination in Baja, back in 1965!
It was a 5 hour drive to go the 50 miles from Puertecitos to Gonzaga, up to 1986, when a graded road replaced the first Jeep trail, and not paved until about 2014.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 10:15 PM

how long do you guys have? any chance of doing another hundred miles?

[Edited on 3-8-2023 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
striperslayer24

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 11:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Welcome.
Alfonsina's has not had many positive reports since it turned into a boutique hotel about when Highway 5 was completed.
Otherwise, Gonzaga is a beautiful bay and my family's first destination in Baja, back in 1965!
It was a 5 hour drive to go the 50 miles from Puertecitos to Gonzaga, up to 1986, when a graded road replaced the first Jeep trail, and not paved until about 2014.

Hi David! Thanks for the info! I appreciate it, ya I have seen the reviews also which made me a bit unsure. Maybe the fish camps are a better option. Thanks again.

- Dane
-
striperslayer24

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 12:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Hey Don Pisto! Are you referring to Bay of LA? That was our first option but we were thinking it might be a better idea to not go that far south for the first time. How would you say the spot compare? Thanks

- Dane
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by striperslayer24  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Welcome.

Hi David! Thanks for the info! I appreciate it, ya I have seen the reviews also which made me a bit unsure. Maybe the fish camps are a better option. Thanks again.

- Dane
-

Alfonsinas is fine. Some of the old timers grumble about it because they remodeled and raised their rates…

What “fish camps” are you talking about? Unclear what you are referring to…

[Edited on 3-8-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 07:44 AM

L.A. Bay is just another 2 hrs drive and is a fully developed town for tourists and fishing. Many hotels and campgrounds and fishing guides/ boats to hire. Unlike Gonzaga, it also has multiple restaurants and grocery stores.
I love Gonzaga because I am a camper and don't need electricity.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jamesbee

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 09:20 AM

I haven't been to bay of LA but have camped at Gonzaga. Gonzaga is beautiful, we have a travel trailer and camped on the beach. There is really not much there. If I was you, I would go to Bay of LA.

Nothing to be scared of. My 1st time in Baja, I flew into Cabo. The ride from the airport to the resort, I felt like I was going to be kidnapped by banditos due to all the crap you read online.

After towing our trailer from Oregon to as far S as Loreto and back. I can honestly say I felt safer in Baja than I do at home here in Portland,OR.

Enjoy your trip!
3464james
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 09:30 AM

Good morning, Gonzaga is a great stop. Alternate places to stay are: 1. VRBO at Papa Fernandez, 24', trailer nicely appointed. The owner does fishing charters in his panga. Check VRBO listings for availability. 2. El Sacrificio, basic cabin with showers and flush toilet. They can usually arrange for fishing charters with the local commercial fishermen. I will be there in April and again in June. Have a wonderful time. As an aside, consider taking the Mexicali East entrance and follow the truck route, avoids the downtown section.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 09:35 AM

I'm not an old timer but the tone at alfonsina's has definitely changed. It's less friendly and a little bit like they are trying too hard to justify calling themselves a resort. Not a bad place to sleep but less fun and not a great impromptu stop anymore.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Hey Don Pisto! Are you referring to Bay of LA? That was our first option but we were thinking it might be a better idea to not go that far south for the first time. How would you say the spot compare? Thanks

- Dane

BoLA is certainly no garden spot but you'll have a much better shot at better fishing, lodging and dining and if you get blown off the water there's more exploring to be had.....jmo of course;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 11:46 AM

Hello everyone! I am planning a fishing trip with a friend to Gonzaga Bay for the end of May. We are looking to cross the border, go through Mexicali, and take the 5 down to our destination. This would be my first time driving in Baja and I understand there are risks traveling down South, so I was wondering if anyone had advice based on their experiences for a first-timer. We would only be taking a truck (no trailer). Currently looking to stay at Alfonsinas or stay at a fish camp and charter a panga. Any tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

P.S. Is there a way to find if others are traveling on the same dates? Might be nice to have a caravan for the way down.

Tight Lines!

- Dane

if you think you need a caravan to make it through the Baja war zone - it might not be a destination for you.

Harald Pietschmann
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 12:10 PM

There are the palapas just south of the runway as well but last I heard they were a little spendy but nowhere near as much as Alfys.

X2 on Bahia, Gonzaga would be ok for a night or two but Bahia has so many more options. If you do decide to do that, talk to some captains down there now, May is when things start heating up both weather and fishing so boats could be hard to find spur of the moment.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 01:22 PM

Here, Bajazly means: Bahia = Bahía de los Angeles (L.A. Bay), not to be confused with Bahía San Luis Gonzaga (Gonzaga Bay).
:light::biggrin:;)

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 04:03 PM

A quick internet search did not turn up any established sportfishing operations around Gonzaga, other than caravans and "mother ship" operations out of San Felipe. It is probably a matter of finding someone with a panga who will agree to take you out such as at Papa Fernandez mentioned above. Make sure they have a radio and life jackets!

A little to the north, there is a seasonal fish camp that sets up around Km 115 but they are a pretty rough looking bunch. In the same area (Km 116) mi amigo at Campo Cinco Islas has several pangas and a fishing trip can be arranged there. Ask for the owner, Augustine. They usually go out at dawn due to frequent strong winds in that area. Primitive camping available, bring your bug spray and a strong stomach if you use the outhouse. The fishing is OK, usually some Sierra can be caught, maybe a grouper. BOLA probably has a greater variety of species.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 04:42 PM

its just never been good enough to merit sportfishing operations, juan cook hits it up before he heads south to BoLA in the summer but you can always just ask at the ranch they'll hook you up.....but my advice is spring for a small blow up boat with a 15hp motor and head to the PF reef for some of those WSB;)
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 06:35 PM

now, what is the PF reef?

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I am guessing that there is a reef at Punta Final.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I am guessing that there is a reef at Punta Final.

yeah my apologies.......so much fun, so many fish in so much accessible shoreline, you may not tug on a 30# YT but what a blast even just boating around drinking beers with your buddy....jig Krocs and expect a fish on every drop:D
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2023 at 06:30 AM

I was hoping this Baja Catch map (from Gene Kira's MexFish.com) would show the reef...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.