Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Arrachera
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 4-9-2005 at 09:52 PM
Arrachera

Ok amigos, last time I posted about my new discovery(this one) was after I had tasted it for the first time in Loreto at Pachimamas(sp?) which is no longer there:no:.Then I purachsed this Carne in La Paz, took it back to Loreto and pan seared it, cast iron skillet, over high heat, for 3 to 4 mins. per side. excellent , cuts with a fork, tastes like butter with a smoky essence.Last week I bought the same product in Ensenada, brought it home, cooked the same way. wouldn't ya know it, not even close!!Could it be a minute less in So Cal? or just that everything tastes better in Baja?:?:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-9-2005 at 09:59 PM

I think every thing taste's better here but my guess is it wasn't as good to start with. it sounds like you are a good cook and I think you can trust your taste.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Price
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 02:14 AM

Will you send me the recipe - both Joe & I LOVE to cook - our biggest fights are about who's turn it is in the kitchen !!!!
;D;D;D;D;D
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 06:56 AM

Sally
Pachamamma's should be open again by now. We ran into them in Loreto and they said that they had a new place and would be opening soon....that was 2 months ago.
I sure hope so because I miss them and their wonderful food.
Also, the folks that owned Picazon here have moved to Loreto and will be opening another one up there. Their speciality is seafood. My favorite is callo burger.
Provecho

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 09:52 AM

Bajajudy, Unfortunately, I won't be spending much time in Loreto now that my daughter and family have moved to Cabo. I'm heading down next week for a couple of weeks and would love to know some of your favorite places to eat there!Haven't been to Cabo in 15 years, kinda scary...Are you in San Jose now? Maybe we can get together for a cold one or dinner while I'm there? And to Bruce, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but this time just a few minutes too long in the pan, as it was the exact same product as I'd had before! To Price, The Arrachera is vacuum packed in a marinade and its own juices. The name on the package is SU Kame and it is in a "cryovac" bag. I'm gonna bar-b que some tonite. I'll give a report in the morning:spingrin:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 10:03 AM

OK thanks Sallysouth I will be watching for your report.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 08:49 PM

I said I'd post a report on my BBQ'd aracherra, and here it is!I cooked it over VERY high heat,six burners and rotiserie ! Wow, just about burnt my arm hairs! It was a very thin peice of meat, so similar to Carne Asada.I thought I'd give it a little "BAM!" so I marinated it in a little Yoshida for a half an hour. One and a half minute on each side, perfect!(I grilled some onion slices and bell pepper, both marinated in Yoshida, for about ten mins, before cooking the meat.Let the meat rest, slice on the diagonal(against the grain) and YUM! there ya go amigos!:P:spingrin:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 06:52 AM

Sally
We stopped by to see your daughter at their new digs(pretty impressive!) but she was not around.
Picazon in San Lucas is great. It is on the same street as the fire dept., Ace hardware, Chiles and Anis. You just keep going away from the fire dept and it is on the left side of the street.
Mocambo is another favorite of ours but it is kinda touristy. We just ate at Father Kino on the dirt road that goes beside Mar de Cortez Hotel and it was excellent. Justo el Gusto is good for appetizers(thats all I have had there) and they are on the marina. Lenny's is always good for a deli fix. Right down from Bisbee/El Fuerte is a seafood place called Estebans...it is excellent although I imagine the "kids" have tried it.
We are leaving this Friday for a road trip up to see Keri and some of our customers, should be back by May 1st. U2U me when you get here!
Oh finally saw that grandbaby of yours at Costco. She is a beauty.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
I said I'd post a report on my BBQ'd aracherra, and here it is!I cooked it over VERY high heat,six burners and rotiserie ! Wow, just about burnt my arm hairs! It was a very thin peice of meat, so similar to Carne Asada.I thought I'd give it a little "BAM!" so I marinated it in a little Yoshida for a half an hour. One and a half minute on each side, perfect!(I grilled some onion slices and bell pepper, both marinated in Yoshida, for about ten mins, before cooking the meat.Let the meat rest, slice on the diagonal(against the grain) and YUM! there ya go amigos!:P:spingrin:

Sallysouth do you have the meat at room temperature before you cook it ? our is it cold?:wow:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 08:34 AM

Bajajudy, thanks for all the recommends! The "kids" have'nt been out at all since they moved there as Ty has been doing his Bighorn hunts out of Loreto and La Paz and getting the boats ready for the trip down to Cabo,so he has'nt been there but a few days. Now I have some good places to eat(thank you again!) so you betcha Juanita, Rachel and I will be exploring the eateries! Sounds like I will miss you this trip. I'm coming back on the 28th. Next time... Bruce, I ALWAYS bring my meat to room temp before cooking otherwise the insides don't get cooked right!:wow:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Bruce, I ALWAYS bring my meat to room temp before cooking otherwise the insides don't get cooked right!:wow:

me to. thanks

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2005 at 04:33 PM

What's Yoshida?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Price
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 01:47 AM
Yoshida

An oriental cooking sauce - kind of terraki-ish ! Very good - I buy it at Costco :biggrin::biggrin:
Butch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 01:42 PM
Arrachera

Is this beef or ? You said it was similar to Carne Asada ! What cut of meat is it Also did you purchase in Mx or States under the name SU KAME ? Sounds delicious, need more info.
Thanks
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 07:38 PM

Butch,

The Su Karne line of products is processed in Mexicali (if I am reading the Spanish info on the packaging correctly). I would guess that it is not sold in the U.S. because there is no USDA stamp or other indicaters on the package.

This week, the Comercial Mexicana in Rosarito had several different cuts and preparations to choose from, arrachera included, I bought Costillas Adobada.

Haven't cooked it yet, if things turn out well, I may brag; if I screw it up, I may not say a word! :o

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 07:39 PM
Oops!

Oh yes, as far as I can tell, all the products are beef.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 09:16 AM

I believe Aracherra is simply marinated flank steak. Thier is a little Mexican mercado in El Centro Ca that sells awesome aracherra. Sometimes I drive 2 hours there and 2 hours back just to pick up a few kilos to BBQ over the weekend!

I have also had pretty good success making my own aracherra. Buy flank steak from the grocery store. season each piece with garlic powder, lawrys seasoning salt, chili powder, a touch of cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. build layers with chopped cilantro, Orange and onion slices in between. Add a can of beer and some soy sauce and marinate for at least 24 hours.

I BBQ the meat on high, chop into bit size pieces and mix with chopped onion/cilantro that has marinated in lime juice then load into a fresh corn tortilla and top it off with fresh guacamole and salsa!

Damn, I just drooled on my keyboard!

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 10:15 AM

Actually I think that Arrachera is the cut(flank) in spanish.
Your recipe sounds delicious, Bajabum Always looking for new things to do with meat cuts that we get down here. Some I must admit I dont recognize. There is one called pulpo negro or maybe its pulpa negra...anyway it is passable for pot roast if you cook it a long time.
We get Sonora steaks that melt in your mouth. They seem to have more flavor than USDA meats.
Oops I drooled too

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.