BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best cell phone coverage?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-17-2023 at 05:29 PM
Best cell phone coverage?

I have had AT&T for many years and have been very happy with the Baja coverage as well as the coverage NOB. I think I am grandfathered in on a $40 plan that has worked well for me.

I now frequent a location in So Cal that has terrible AT&T cell coverage. Friends with other providers such as T/Mobil seems to work great at that location.

Please chime in with your opinions about Baja coverage, especially Loreto, and what works which is at least comparable to AT&T coverage.

Please, no the tree is drowning, ripped off at the gas pumps or police bribery on this post. :biggrin:

PS: Maps are not needed unless it's a cell phone coverage map.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-17-2023 at 07:19 PM
ATT service varies with different plans

When I bought a replacement pre-paid ATT phone at a Target store in October, the sales person told me that even using the same tower, there were three levels of service.

ATT contract service plans were on top, followed by other company contract phones using ATT towers, followed by pre-paid plans from ATT or other carriers.

I confirmed that info with my local ATT store, which by the way does not sell their own pre-paid phones. Is your $40/month a pre-paid plan?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-17-2023 at 07:44 PM

T Mobile has in my opinion, the best Mexico (BC & BCS) coverage of any US carrier. They also have a $40 plan if you pre-pay.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2023 at 06:17 AM

My carrier is Google Fi, which uses T-Mobile, which in turn uses Telcel when in Mexico. My coverage in Todos Santos is excellent, but a little spotty in parts of Pescadero. My wife's carrier is AT&T. When we were last in Baja (early February) I'm not sure if she ended up roaming on Telcel or AT&T Mexico. I do know that she paid a daily data charge.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-18-2023 at 07:46 AM

My AT&T works fine in Loreto. In SoCal (Palm Springs} not great. Go figure. Haven't been to BOLA in years. I wonder if cell service has arrived there.

[Edited on 3-18-2023 by Marc]

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-18-2023 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
My AT&T works fine in Loreto. In SoCal (Palm Springs} not great. Go figure. Haven't been to BOLA years. I wonder if cell service has arrived there.

In late October I visited a friend who is about five miles north of B.D.L.A. and my ATT phone did not work there. I was only able to make calls using his internet connection.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-18-2023 at 08:18 AM
An odd phone connection

As I mentioned before, my phone is a pre-paid ATT Android. On my way north last October, I tried to call the guy who was house sitting for me from a location just north of San Felipe.

I don't remember the exact wording of the failure notification that popped up (in English) but it was to the effect of "Voice service not available, text only"

Paul had an itty bitty pre-paid flip phone (consumer cellular), and I knew he hated receiving texts, and would never send one. As I was contemplating my next move, I received a call from another friend in the same neighborhood who was just checking to see how things were going.

The call was clear, and strong, and I asked her to give Paul a message. A few minutes later, he called me, and that service was also clean and clear!

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-18-2023 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
My AT&T works fine in Loreto. In SoCal (Palm Springs} not great. Go figure. Haven't been to BOLA years. I wonder if cell service has arrived there.

In late October I visited a friend who is about five miles north of B.D.L.A. and my ATT phone did not work there. I was only able to make calls using his internet connection.

I figured soon after electrical power happened in BOLA cell service would soon follow. I remember having to place calls from the mercado on the left going into town. Also called from the mercado across from the Gecko turn off near the tire shop.
But then....I spent years in Baja & central Mexico without a phone.
Kinda adds to the adventure?

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2023 at 11:00 AM

I buy a telcel sim when in Baja and put it in an unlocked phone. It is cheap and easy and gets good coverage (as measured by my thumb in the air). I have an mvno plan backed by T Mobile for my US service and it has poor coverage compared to my telcel service when in Baja.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-21-2023 at 08:34 AM

I also live in an area (east bay, Nor Cal) with terrible AT&T service - Verizon only slightly better. I just turn on WI-FI calling and it works great. I have had AT&T for 20+ years and am fine with their service otherwise, especially since it works free in Mexico and Canada.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.