BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Recent On-line FMM Success?
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-29-2023 at 05:43 PM

Again, the group requested we get our FMMs in advance. And what a PITA that was. Never again (well maybe, doesn't cost more and heck now I have an account). I can see why it is so confusing - even after going through the process for my husband, we still had to jump a million hoops when doing mine. Will be nice when they stop doing this. I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to collect $35 bucks a person as the price of admission when tourists cross the border w/o all the silly paperwork?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-29-2023 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Again, the group requested we get our FMMs in advance. And what a PITA that was. Never again (well maybe, doesn't cost more and heck now I have an account). I can see why it is so confusing - even after going through the process for my husband, we still had to jump a million hoops when doing mine. Will be nice when they stop doing this. I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to collect $35 bucks a person as the price of admission when tourists cross the border w/o all the silly paperwork?

It is part of travel. You cross a border, you do the routine. Not a PITA, is just what it is. If your a frequent X-border commuter, you probably got a visa and don’t need to stop/pay.

It’s easier to do it all in the building, the online thing is silly. Your group that did online still needs to go to the same desk in the building… sounds like your group leader is loco.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2023 at 06:07 PM

I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to collect $35 bucks a person as the price of admission when tourists cross the border w/o all the silly paperwork?

They do. Isn't Mexico's fault your group wanted to do it the hard way.
And as far as I'm aware, all countries require "silly paperwork" for foreigners to enter their country. A lot of it much more of a PITA than what Mexico requires.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-29-2023 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to collect $35 bucks a person as the price of admission when tourists cross the border w/o all the silly paperwork?

And as far as I'm aware, all countries require "silly paperwork" for foreigners to enter their country. A lot of it much more of a PITA than what Mexico requires.

Correct, you park and walk in to pay...
If you payed online, you STILL have to park and walk in (to validate it)!
Since many or most cars are returning Mexicans or people with a still valid FMM, you can't be stopping every car to check... the wait to get into Mexico would be many times longer than the worst wait to get into the United States!

What Mama didn't do was 'splain it' to the group, who obviously thought doing it in advance online would eliminate the stopping and walking-in part.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-30-2023 at 10:31 AM

We were stopped twice last year a couple of months apart and at the same place north of San Ignacio. The National Guard was checking FMMs and passports.

No problems, we had both. We always go to Mexicali West. 7 weeks ago they were still doing them the old way. Received a stamped paper form and a stamp in the passport.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2023 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

The group knew exactly what it was doing - they wanted to make the process quicker so all 20 people didn't have to fill everything out, go pay for it, then go back to get it stamped.

Correct, you park and walk in to pay...
If you payed online, you STILL have to park and walk in (to validate it)!
Since many or most cars are returning Mexicans or people with a still valid FMM, you can't be stopping every car to check... the wait to get into Mexico would be many times longer than the worst wait to get into the United States!

What Mama didn't do was 'splain it' to the group, who obviously thought doing it in advance online would eliminate the stopping and walking-in part.

Group knew what it was doing - 20+ peeps would take a long time to complete paperwork, go pay for FMM, come back to get it stamped. Having it printed/paid for was significantly quicker for a group. Getting the FMM on line did not cost even a penny more but it was a little confusing at first. To get the 7 day free FMM would be a lot simpler - the payment process was the confusing part. Interestingly the length of time and port of entry did not appear on the printed form, so we could have crossed anywhere. We requested and received 180 days.
Surabi: I have entered many foreign countries in my lifetime, Mexico at least 30 times, and so far, Mexico is the only one requiring something akin to an FMM although Australia required an electronic VISA to be applied for prior to entry. The only exception was during the pandemic when proof of vaccination was required by most European countries.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-19-2023 at 07:59 AM

Great to hear... and as long as the website allowed to to fill it out and pay for it, and get the payment receipt... then it works to speed things at the border INM desk, agreed. However, so many times it was reported that the receipt would not print at the end of the process (or they didn't know the online FMM was void without the receipt, and didn't bring it with them).

You said that it no longer asks for the border crossing location. How about the day of your crossing, did you need to include that?

How was the experience at the border/ INM desk? Or, did your group not leave yet?
Thanks for the intel on the experience!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2023 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Great to hear... and as long as the website allowed to to fill it out and pay for it, and get the payment receipt... then it works to speed things at the border INM desk, agreed. However, so many times it was reported that the receipt would not print at the end of the process (or they didn't know the online FMM was void without the receipt, and didn't bring it with them).

You said that it no longer asks for the border crossing location. How about the day of your crossing, did you need to include that?

How was the experience at the border/ INM desk? Or, did your group not leave yet?
Thanks for the intel on the experience!

The trick with printing everything is to go back to the FIRST email and click on the link. Everything went smoothly, no problems. If I remember correctly the entry date was on the form, but not the number of days (we wanted 180 days, not free) or ent port of entry. When my travel club used to do them for me ( I know, a a $5 fee but worth it to me) the entry date, entry location & number of days were always on the FMM.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2023 at 10:23 PM

I did my FMM online back in February of this year, just to try it. It saved me a few minutes -- the short walk over to the bank and back. Probably not worth the hassle, and the risk of changing plans to enter on a different date.

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.