Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Has anyone been here?
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2023 at 08:33 AM
Has anyone been here?

By vehicle or boat?

Since I couldn't make it to my target destination, figured I would ask here.

In looking for new places to explore this last trip I had stumbled on this potential beach spot (25.685865, -111.213248) south of La Danzante resort area (south of Loreto) while looking around Google Maps. It looked like it could be a great little secluded place to hang out. The turn off is at (25.688349, -111.239532) and I made it a little way down until I came to a sketchy spot that I couldn't cross (25.695170, -111.232757) without the likelihood of sliding off the edge and taking a quicker more destructive route to the bottom. I'm glad I didn't do that as I walked a bit further and there was a serious wash out that would have been completely impassible for me.

If I have time next visit I'll park at the hairpin turn just before the sketchy part and hike down to check it out.

Curious if others have visited this spot and have any pictures of what I couldn't reach.

In the screenshot the green flag pin lower left is the turn off, the gold star pin is as far as I made it, and the lower right green flag pin is where I was trying to get.

Baja Exploring.png - 289kB
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-31-2023 at 09:09 AM

I was on it in 2021 - about half way down
no washouts in 2021, but seriously steep sections
figured I would need one of my more capable rigs

steep.jpg - 249kB

Harald Pietschmann
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2023 at 09:18 AM

Yep, I was in my van that weighs ~11,500 lbs when loaded for these trips. This is the section that stopped me. It looks like nothing in the photo but the angle of the photo and weeds are concealing the washout.
Every time I got my front tires on the washout they would slide about a foot downhill and I would cautiously back up. I did this 3 times until I realized it was a bad idea to attempt any further. A lighter vehicle would have allowed me to get to the totally impassible section!

PXL_20230217_194314716.jpg - 267kB
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2023 at 09:31 AM

Google Earth shows a profile of up to 45%
that is STEEP

Attachment: 4x4 rural new road! Ensenada El Estuche.kmz (4kB)
This file has been downloaded 57 times

profile.jpg - 239kB

Harald Pietschmann
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2023 at 12:13 PM

Agreed, that is extremely steep!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-31-2023 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pjpvi  
Agreed, that is extremely steep!

You're gonna need a bigger boat!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2023 at 08:10 AM

There is NO "Matt's Off Road Recovery" there! :-)
Look him up on utube :-)

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2023 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
There is NO "Matt's Off Road Recovery" there! :-)
Look him up on utube :-)

and the Matt guys are some of the worst 4x4 drivers I have seen

Harald Pietschmann
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pjpvi  
Yep, I was in my van that weighs ~11,500 lbs when loaded for these trips. This is the section that stopped me. It looks like nothing in the photo but the angle of the photo and weeds are concealing the washout.
Every time I got my front tires on the washout they would slide about a foot downhill and I would cautiously back up. I did this 3 times until I realized it was a bad idea to attempt any further. A lighter vehicle would have allowed me to get to the totally impassible section!

I know what you mean! I never manage to take a photo that conveys how bad a road is, or how unnerving it is to be in a sideways-leaning van next to a steep down slope.

Nice seeing another Sportsmobile here actually being used!

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.