BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How much further is the dollar going to decline?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-27-2023 at 12:07 PM

arguing about the exchange rate is like arguing about the weather. Yes, there are some rules - but in the end you get what the weather gods decide.

Harald Pietschmann
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 4-27-2023 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Quote: Originally posted by verichip  
Can you tell us more about the prices of things in Argentina? The price of fast food hotel rooms eggs a cross country bus ride?

Hotels about $150 US/night. Did not purchase fast food (because, why? I don't eat garbage in the US either). Gas was under $2 US/gallon. A cross country flying bus ride was about $200 US round trip. Car rental $212 US for 5 days. 8 days guided fishing trip at two different hotels & glamping throughout the National Parks including airport transfer, meals, all the malbec you can drink, all transportation and gear $5792 US for two. Did not grocery shop either. I assume you were over served when you asked this?

[Edited on 4-26-2023 by BajaMama]

Argentina can be done for 1/2 price , IF you don't use tours and accommodations paid for online, or use an ATM or credit card in the country.
Bring crisp $100 bills and exchange them on the "Blue market"

I was in Argentina in 2017 and 2019, the first time the blue market rate was 30 to 1 then 60 to 1

Now it's 465 to 1 and the official rate is 225 to 1

I'm leaving for Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil within the next month.

GO Bocas !!!!!

[Edited on 4-27-2023 by Paco Facullo]

I would definitely like to hear a long report about Uruguay.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2023 at 07:56 PM

USD/MXN appears to be heading lower yet. Now under 17.8 on forex and looking for a bottom despite rate increase. Anyone looking to build in this environment has to be wondering what it will all cost by the time they hit completion and final payments in Pesos. Trend for the past 3 years has been wicked.

[Edited on 5-8-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-7-2023 at 09:05 PM

JD,

Things in Pesos have gone up too. Steel has almost doubled in the last 6 months! I’m glad we’re almost done!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2023 at 04:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
JD,

Things in Pesos have gone up too. Steel has almost doubled in the last 6 months! I’m glad we’re almost done!

We just finally paid out our last pesos based building expenses too. During the entire construction process, we saw currency cost increases of over 25%, the supplies exploded up in cost for us as well on top of inability to obtain the hurricane windows and several other items we had designed in. Seems the only alternative was to have everything designed and built locally like you did. In total, a 300,000 house build ended up at around 400,000 and this with downgrades from the original design.

[Edited on 5-8-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2023 at 07:36 AM

7 signs predicting further declines, Yield Curve Inversion is in decades extreme, as is the M2 money supply.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/recession-ec...

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2023 at 08:41 AM
Peso

What he said

Peso.jpg - 53kB
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2023 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
USD/MXN appears to be heading lower yet.

Is this not good for the local population?

Dual edged sword. It's an indication their inflation is more subdued by lowered imports, but they will have more difficulty exporting.
Overall, foreign investors expect Mexico growth to outpace US and Canada, which if they can keep up with their internal inflation, will mean more and higher paid jobs. I call it MAINLY good.
What we do know is anything we purchase in Pesos, and if our base is USD, EUR or CAD has exploded in price in only two years, and expected to get more expensive yet. I would not want to be starting to build a home under these conditions.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2023 at 09:51 AM

If I was Mexican frequently travelling to the US to acheive higher wages and send it home, I would be less inclined to do so under the present conditions than two years ago. (25% less inclined) so I think we can expect less illegal immigration and more Mexicans happily returning home. Mexican friends of mine have recently dropped from a 6 day to a 5 day work week, and seem to be far happier with present conditions, including the earnings increases they have seen.

[Edited on 5-13-2023 by JDCanuck]

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-14-2023 at 09:10 AM

$16.5 to $17 pesos to the Dollar in San Felipe.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
16.5p at OXXO Pescadero today.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.