BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: 12 v. compact air compressor recommendation??
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 01:50 PM
12 v. compact air compressor recommendation??

I foolishly followed the advice of a friend who restores old cars and bought a compact "Slime" compressor at WalMart
Major mistake on several fronts.

First pass it worked great
Second time it had some hiccups
Third time was stop and go,
Fourth time, it seems to have expired.

Who has good luck with one and what is your recommendation
(From the guy who never, ever goes to WM, didn't even know where there was one)
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 02:02 PM

My Smittybilt 2780 has been flawless for 8years.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 02:10 PM

Plenty to pick, and there will be those who swear by their V-air or ARB set ups.

I have had good success with my MV-50 pump, it is inexpensive compared to others (under $100 last time I checked) yet clips onto the battery (as the good ones do, for high amp/ speed) and refills my 16" truck tires from 16 psi to 34 psi in about 3 minutes (6 psi per min).

It is three times faster than the pumps that plug into a cigarette lighter.

Oh, and lucky you, it says WalMart sells them! LOL: https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperFlow-MV50-Portable-30-Amp-12...

MV-50.jpg - 231kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 02:35 PM

I sometimes regret purchases at Harbor Freight, but I bought a compressor there that is similar to the one David posted. It was inexpensive, and I have been using it for about five years now.

It is not just for Baja runs, I have used it more often at home than I do on most road trips. The difference is that around home it is usually just one tire, not all four.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 03:23 PM
Viair 400p

Not inexpensive but it's worked flawlessly for many years (one time the hose got too hot and broke). A clean cut with a razor knife, slipped it through the compression nut and it was working fine again.

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 03:49 PM

AK, I had the Harbor Freight one before the MV-50. It was also fast, but the fuse holder got so hot it melted the plastic fuses, requiring replacements after each use.
It also came in a bulky hard plastic case that requires more space in my truck than the MV-50 bag does. I still have it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 03:49 PM

Without providing significantly more information about your needs, do not expect to receive any meaningful answers.

Are you planning to fill 4 large offroad tires from 10 psi to 45+ psi in the desert heat? Is it a one-beer stop or a two-beer stop? (How much of a hurry are you in?)
Or an occasional flat from a nail hole.
RV tires need high psi; make your selection accordingly. High- pressure compressors are a tradeoff by providing lower volume (cfm), therefore slower.
Frequent use or once/twice a year?
How critical is your situation if the pump fails, a 20 mile hike through desert wilderness, or a minor inconvenience?
Do you need to impress your friends with the size? lol

I have an onboard ARB compressor, mounted under a 4x4 van, and have rebuilt it twice.
My favorite is a Viair 350C (C = continuous duty / 100% duty cycle). Mounted inside a "Fat 50" ammo can for portability.
I also have a Viair 400P (P = portable) in a carry bag.

Compressors heat up quickly and most are only around 30% duty cycle. Summer/desert temperatures are hard on compressors. https://www.viaircorp.com/tech
Definitely a fan of Viair compressors. The best prices are usually found on eBay.

My city vehicle carries an inexpensive plug-into-the cigarette-lighter type. Great for filling a single flat tire on the highway. It is not allowed to ride in any of my offroad vehicles.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 04:02 PM

Good point about what PSI is required. If I needed more than 30 PSI, for more than one tire, I would not count on my harbor freight model.

Also, if I have aired down all four wheels, I would re-fill them in stages rotating around the vehicle so that all of the tires would get some air before the compressor might overheat or quit!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 04:10 PM

Excellent input, all around

At this point the portable Viair sounds like a winner
At present it will just ride around in my Macan
Since COVID hit my trips have not gone south of San Vicente, sad to say, but that may improve.

Also, the gator clips sound much better than the plug in
But some brilliant design engineer in Germany decided that the battery could be tucked far away under the front seat, which makes that app pretty inconvenient, to say to least

Any more input, fire away. I will probably not pick one up for a week or two. My neighbor has a nice standing unit that fit the bill today when my little TinkerToy failed to muster up.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 04:24 PM

I jumpstarted a guy once, who was driving a car with the battery buried deep and needed tools to get to it. Fortunately, there were terminal up under the hood that were easily accessible, just for jumpstarting.

I imagine that if your Macan had those, you would already know about it, but it is something to check for. If you do go with the lighter socket plug in type, make sure you have extra fuses (for the compressor, and the car)

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 04:34 PM

Viair makes the 75P model, plug-in, about $60. I have not seen one, so cannot attest to the quality. Maybe check out reviews on Amazon, etc.
https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/75P

Sorry, we are mostly offroaders here, with big tires and frequent. if not crucial, use of our equipment.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 07:06 PM
My Viair 400p

I was able to hard mount it out of the way under the hood and hard wired it. A The air hose remains attached, also helps prevent dust from getting in the way. The supplied factory hose is plenty long enough to reach all four wheels on my Tacoma.

I don't usually drop the air pressure below 20 psi, and have 31s. Compared to others along on a recent trip, I was usually the second one aired up - first went to an onboard converted York air conditioning compressor.

The overheating of the hose I mentioned earlier occurred when I was airing up a guy with us, after doing my 4 tires, and he needed 65 lbs. At about 45 lbs is when the hose on my Viair gave up the ghost I'm assuming due to the heat generated - though I may have stretched the hose to reach his truck adding some stress to the hose.

John M

[Edited on 4-4-2023 by John M]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 07:36 PM

Hmm... my compact Slime is alive and well after 3 years of occasional use. 2 complaints - female connector is threaded, not lever-locked, so needs attention not to cross-thread, and 2) connector is plastic. So I carry a backup $6 very old compact pump that is twice bigger - well, it's old, things were made bigger then, probably $15-20 in today's prices. It has a brass connector with a metal locking lever.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 08:09 PM

I have a viair 12 volt. Works well. But slow. If i have a choice, i drive to a serice stn or tire shop to fill up faster.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 08:26 PM

If your battery is a PITA to get to, go to Cabelas or Bass Blow Shop and get a 2 prong thru deck trolling motor quick disconnect plug. They are a twist lock so pretty secure when plugged in. You can wire a receptacle, or two, into the truck and the female side onto the wire to the compressor.

Trolling motors can draw a fair amount and the plug I got was pretty heavy duty plus it is made for a boat so it's kind of well made and a bit water/dust resistant.

I got sick of opening the hood to hook up the clips to my battery for the solar panel and installed one of these in the bed of the truck, quick and easy connection. Don't see why it wouldn't be perfect for a compressor like this.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2023 at 10:17 PM

Viair 400p when running 31s on my Ford diesel, and a plug in for the SUV. Carry both in a Yakima Skybox. Workhorses.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-4-2023 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
If your battery is a PITA to get to, go to Cabelas or Bass Blow Shop and get a 2 prong thru deck trolling motor quick disconnect plug. They are a twist lock so pretty secure when plugged in. You can wire a receptacle, or two, into the truck and the female side onto the wire to the compressor.

Trolling motors can draw a fair amount and the plug I got was pretty heavy duty plus it is made for a boat so it's kind of well made and a bit water/dust resistant.

I got sick of opening the hood to hook up the clips to my battery for the solar panel and installed one of these in the bed of the truck, quick and easy connection. Don't see why it wouldn't be perfect for a compressor like this.

brilliant idea!

Harald Pietschmann
dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2023 at 08:52 AM

You can also remote mount an Anderson connector if your battery is difficult to access. Available at most NAPA or other good autoparts stores.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2023 at 12:31 PM

Or, you could get a cordless air compressor with a lithium battery. I have a Ryobi (yeah, I know) one+ inflator, works great for occasionally topping up a low tire, but a little flimsy. The same batteries work on dozens of other tools, including my lawn mower and shop vac. No cords, no jumper clamps, ez peasy.

Of course when off grid you have to carry an inverter to charge the lithium batteries using your car battery if they run out of juice, nonetheless the whole setup is still smaller and less weight than even the basic cigarette lighter plug in junk.

Full disclosure, I carry a bicycle pump just in case the flimsy Ryobi goes kaput.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-4-2023 at 07:08 PM

I have been airing up and down for a living for 35 years.
that does not make me an expert on compressors - but I know a few things.

even some of the good compressors, and definitely the cheap ones, can use some cheap upgrades and life saving maintenance

almost all compressors are oil-less
meaning the pistons have no lubrication
imagine your car engine without oil!
right!

so, to extend the life of whatever compressor you have, spray some lubricant into the air intake before every use. ATF is best - WD40 works.

changing out the power leads to heavier gauge wires ensures that the motor gets plenty of juice and nothing gets to hot and burns up

plenty of groups discussing upgrades - but these 2 will make the biggest difference.

by the way, my Puma compressor has been on duty for more than 20 years now. It needed new battery clamps and a yearly tightening of the air lines

air.jpg - 286kB

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.