BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gas btw SF and Mexicali going Northbound?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 04:07 PM
Gas btw SF and Mexicali going Northbound?

There is one on the traffic circle in SF - on the right side when going North, same expensive as few others in this area. Then there are 2 stations on the left/West side, 10 miles or so out. I think the one farther North is more accessible - there is a cross street, and it is cheaper. Or is it the 1st one cheaper?

Then there is a long stretch of nothing until Mexicali begins - what would be your choice in this area? Preferably right/East side. My clunker is happy with regular Magna, nothing fancy.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 04:35 PM

if you can't do 200 km (120 miles) on one tank - Baja might not be your playground

Harald Pietschmann
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 05:15 PM

Baja not be your playground. so true
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 06:06 PM

I usually go the arco in san felipe. No reason i go to arco, just habit. Never really looked around to see if price varies appreciably.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 06:11 PM

I can do a few times more than 200 km on one tank though prefer refueling before the gauge drops to zero. Better for fuel pump and other parts of the engine. In this particular case - going North, it is also desirable to arrive at the border with tank near full.

[Edited on 4-7-2023 by Alm]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I can do a few times more than 200 km on one tank, but prefer refueling before the gauge drops to zero. Better for fuel pump and other parts of the engine.

Lots of stations in mexicali. Never been to same one twice. I did stop at one pemex that had a revolting restroom. Wont stop there again. Its an older stn on west side of road on southern side of town.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 07:46 PM

The Redpetrol station with the new ish Oxxo a couple miles out of town doesn't have the most honest pumps in Mexico. The Rockodile one, last one out of town or the Arco between the glorieta and the arches are good. Price diff is negligible here but the third open station going into Mexicali, at the first stop light you hit is always a good deal and easy access going north.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-7-2023 at 07:04 AM

La Puerta gas station is at Km. 31, south of Mexicali.

Last year March 2022, I photographed all six San Felipe stations as we drove north from our Mission Santa María group trip's last night at el comadante loco's (Rudy's) place, in the South Campos. Trip Report: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=97380

South of traffic circle, about 1 km., west or southbound side of road:

Traffic circle, southbound side, just past airport and Puertecitos right turn:

Traffic circle, north side, Km. 191 (northbound side of traffic circle):

Between tall monument and traffic circle, Km. 190+, (southbound side of street):

The 'ejido' station, Km. 184 (west or southbound side of highway):

The El Dorado Ranch station, Km. 178.5+ (west or southbound side of highway):

Notice the Rockadile sign in the distance?

Up close:

[Edited on 4-7-2023 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2023 at 07:41 AM

Gas Hwy 5 N of SF
K178.5, 31, 15, 10
No air at 31, All have diesel
dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2023 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I can do a few times more than 200 km on one tank, but prefer refueling before the gauge drops to zero. Better for fuel pump and other parts of the engine.

Lots of stations in mexicali. Never been to same one twice. I did stop at one pemex that had a revolting restroom. Wont stop there again. Its an older stn on west side of road on southern side of town.

What parts of the engine will suffer because of a half tank of gas?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2023 at 11:58 AM

Thanks, people.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2023 at 03:17 PM

I got fuel at the Arco station near the Rockodile sign in December using a credit card and somehow my card got cloned or anyway compromised and I started getting fraudulent charges on my card. Don't know how it happened but that is the only place I used that card.
Stuff happens.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2023 at 08:04 AM

Been using my cc at that station for over a year with no issues.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2023 at 08:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The El Dorado Ranch station, Km. 178.5+ (west or southbound side of highway):

Stopped at this station this week. Very disappointed to see they have placed a barrier/coin-operated turn style to access the restroom. We decided to buy gas further down the road where peeing is still free!

Woke!

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2023 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Been using my cc at that station for over a year with no issues.

I guess I'm just lucky. Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.