BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Insurance for 40+ day stay
Bildo

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 01:43 PM
Insurance for 40+ day stay

We usually buy trip insurance when we go to Mexico and we usually fly. This next trip will be a drive to Cabo trip. Any suggestions ?

I'm also going to need to insure our car. Any suggestions ?

I wondered if there is a car / trip insurance combo ?

Thanks

Bill
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 02:32 PM

An annual or 6 mo. policy is far cheaper than a 40 day policy, plus no rush to get home before you run out of 40 days insurance.
We on Baja Nomad are thankful for the support of our forum from www.bajabound.com Baja Bound Insurance. Buy and print your policy at home before you go.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bildo

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 03:02 PM

I will be using Baja Bound for the car.

What are people using for medical insurance ? Mine doesn't cover Mexico.

Bill
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 03:18 PM

Hopefully you will find that answer. For me, I always feel healthier when I go to Baja! I have never thought of needing anything extra beyond my auto insurance. Medical care is very inexpensive in Mexico and anything more serious, you want to have done in the U.S. Maybe check on emergency air evacuation insurance? Make sure they will get you from most locations and not just international airports.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 03:25 PM
Medical insurance

We've never had to have anything serious treated in Baja. However, our US PPO insurance has a form that we carry with us so that our PPO will consider a Mexican provided service for reimbursement. It's a simple form we got from our provider. I will scan it and post it here for you to see -

John M
Bildo

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
We've never had to have anything serious treated in Baja. However, our US PPO insurance has a form that we carry with us so that our PPO will consider a Mexican provided service for reimbursement. It's a simple form we got from our provider. I will scan it and post it here for you to see -

John M

We are on Medicare I was told to expect no coverage in Mexico. I guess a regular trip insurance will do.

Bill
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 04:46 PM
not medicare

The form I referred to has nothing to do with Medicare. It's from our supplemental insurance. John
Bildo

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
The form I referred to has nothing to do with Medicare. It's from our supplemental insurance. John

I'm new to Medicare. Does our supplement cover travel to Mexico ?
I hadn't thought of that ?

Bill
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2023 at 08:30 PM
Form

We have Medicare as our primary and Anthem Blue Cross as our secondary health insurance. Anthem provided this form to enable us to submit a claim to Anthem in the event we receive medical care in Baja. This is supposed (as I understand it) to help us get reimbursed for money we pay while in Baja.

John M
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-17-2023 at 09:01 AM

I travel for most of the year , so I use travel insurance a lot.
I used to use insuremytrip.com , but had a terrible time with a small claim.
Then I found Faye insurance. They are way easy to use and at good rates.
Although I haven't had the need for a claim, as yet, so I don't know that side of the equation.
And I hope I never will...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2023 at 09:14 AM

Medicare will reimburse only emergency services as long as you haven't been in Mexico more than 30 days, and are in country on a tourist visa. Same, same for most supplemental coverages.

First hand experience here.
Bildo

[*] posted on 4-17-2023 at 12:26 PM

I found a few travel insurance sites and played around with the input fields. Since I'm not having airfare , luggage or lodging concerns I used $500 for the trip cost. My main concern is medical. It looks doable at under $300.

I can't get a quote for 6 month for auto insurance yet but the anual was under $300 and less for liability only.

I'm thinking that it will be close to $600 for insurance but that might change as I keep looking. Suposedly our Amex card has a trip insurance bennifit so I will look at our credit cards for bennies.

If anyone has any other ideals let me know. The medicare supplement plan we have won't work for Mexico is what our agent says.

Thanks
Bill
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 4-17-2023 at 02:24 PM

Here is a Medicare Supplemental "Medigap" Plan chart that shows which policies has foreign travel coverage, which is usually for emergency treatment only. Once you purchase a Medigap policy you need to read that companies underwriting rules for foreign travel coverage.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/how-to-...

We have Plan G through UnitedHealth Care which covers up to $50,000 lifetime for emergency treatment only that occurs the first 60 days you are out of the USA. I think it is 60 days, could be less.

Each policy has different underwriting rules so always read the fine print.

We all hope to stay health while traveling but accidents do happen...such a car wrecks, breaking something, unexpected ruptured appendicitis, strokes, heart attacks and that is just a few things that can happen.

Good luck finding a policy. It never hurts to have a plan.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2023 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bildo  

I can't get a quote for 6 month for auto insurance yet but the anual was under $300 and less for liability only.

Thanks
Bill

That seemed odd... so I went ahead and got a quote for my truck... and yes there is a 6 mos. option... my truck (2010 Tacoma DC Off Road 4x4 with 135,000 mi. and Kelly Blue Book trade in value of $17,000) would cost $350 for 6 mos., full coverage, in Baja & Sonora. Just $65 more and this policy is for a full year!
Here is a screenshot of the page (daily, 6 month, annual):

Baja Bound 6 mos.jpg - 295kB

[Edited on 4-17-2023 by David K]

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 07:59 AM

I recommend full coverage on the car. I don't know your age or overall general health but if you think a major medical problem could happen I recommend getting some sort of medi-vac insurance. You will want to get back to the states for treatment.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 12:30 PM

I have the SCAN medicare advantage plan. The following is from their website.

"Your Travel Assurance includes:

Coverage for needed urgent and emergency care outside of the U.S.
SCAN’s Travel Assurance Kit, with everything you’ll need to use your worldwide benefits wherever you want to go, including instructions on what to do if you need to go to an emergency room while traveling abroad and storage for your travel documents."

------------------------

So, Medicare itself doesn't offer coverage in Mexico but your supplemental/advantage plan may offer some. I was told on the phone costs would be covered until my condition was stabilized and it's medically safe for me to travel back to the states.

https://www.scanhealthplan.com/supplemental-benefits/travel-...

[Edited on 4-18-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 01:25 PM

This is a reputable company.

https://www.imglobal.com/

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I recommend full coverage on the car. I don't know your age or overall general health but if you think a major medical problem could happen I recommend getting some sort of medi-vac insurance. You will want to get back to the states for treatment.

Plus, legal aid that is included... Very important! BajaBound.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.