BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road condition Highway 1D before Playas de Tijuana?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 09:43 AM
Road condition Highway 1D before Playas de Tijuana?

How much congestion where the road washout occurred a week or two ago? Recent info on delays?

Thanks.

John M
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 06:01 PM

We where by there last Thursday, about 7:30, am. it is down to one lane, for a short time. no back up at all.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2023 at 06:16 AM
liknbaja - quetion?

Is work happening there?

It's southbound that is affected, correct?

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-20-2023 at 11:45 AM

John, just relax and go with the flow!

However, just for you, and just in the past few minutes...
from Discover Baja Travel Club (but it is the 'Corredor 2000'):

Boulevard 2000 Directions

There is still a large sinkhole in Tijuana on Mexico 1 on the way into Playas de Tijuana. We advise avoiding both the toll and free roads in this area. If you need to cross the border in Tijuana, we suggest you use the Otay Mesa crossing and take Blvd 2000. We have northbound and southbound directions for Blvd 2000 on our website.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2023 at 07:12 PM

Went through it North bound today at 4:00 pm. Took 20 minutes to get through the back up. 3 lanes reduced to 2 lanes.
On the south bound side, 3 lanes reduced to one lane. Definitely pick you times.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2023 at 04:19 PM

We went south on 4/6 around 10:30 AM no delays. At rush hour I hear all bets are off. The week prior I periodically checked the google maps and saw delays thru the area of 20-40 minutes. I will note that the day we passed by there was a traffic cop parked at the transition from border road to southbound playas with his yellow tape balled up waiting to close the transition when it got too busy. This detour would send you across to the old road and on south to Rosarito. When you look at what needs to happen to 'fix' the issue it seems monumental. The experience the road department has with the scenic road south of El Mirador suggests they will eventually find a way but it could be a long while for relief.

YMMV

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2023 at 06:55 AM

When the landslide first occurred, estimates were 4 months to complete repairs. I haven't heard/read any updates. I was told the work is ongoing 7/24.

It's a major thoroughfare used by thousands of TJ residents every day and there are no good alternative routes for them to use. And for folks further south in Rosarito Beach, the free road to TJ is all jammed up.

[Edited on 4-27-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 4-27-2023 at 07:33 AM

if you decide to use Otay I posted this a couple weeks ago.......
if you decide to use Otay crossing because of all the problems on the tijuana side I suggest you use the 2 down the hill over the river thru the 5&10, choosing industrial to the 2000 is a mess, industrial is the usual slog but when you hit Paseo 2000 mall (home depot/walmart) there's a monster road construction, huge underpass funneling into one lane.....can't imagine what its like at rush hour. blvd 2000 the usual POS :(

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-27-2023 at 08:56 AM

I just went through Tecate, and it was a breeze! Dream drive!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2023 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

Absolutely right!!!! Beautiful drive south through Guadalupe this morning.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2023 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

Absolutely right!!!! Beautiful drive south through Guadalupe this morning.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with the topic. 1000s and 1000s of people drive the damaged route every day, they have no choice. I spend a lot of time in the Playas de TJ / Rosarito area every summer so it affects me.

But it's very nice you guys had a good drive to Tecate.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2023 at 02:54 PM

I went through it yesterday (4/26). It took 18 minutes. Get in the left lane, you pass lots of cars on in the right lane.
After the last big rain in March I drove thru Valle de Guadalupe up to Tecate. Amazing drive with so much water. Even the river in Valle de Guadalupe was flowing!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2023 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
I went through it yesterday (4/26). It took 18 minutes. Get in the left lane, you pass lots of cars on in the right lane.

Were you traveling east or west? Google maps is showing construction ending in late June.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2023 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  

Were you traveling east or west? Google maps is showing construction ending in late June.

I was heading west at about 2 PM. Eastbound looked worse, but it probably is about the same.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2023 at 11:16 AM

Some news:

"He specified that according to the state authority, the rehabilitation works will last for at least four months, since the first landslide was registered in March of this year."

I bet August at the earliest.

https://www.elimparcial.com/tijuana/tijuana/Respalda-CICTAC-...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.