BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Let's talk about a time(s) you've helped fellow Baja / Sea of Cortez traverlers out or even saved their lives?
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-24-2023 at 11:38 AM

About 25 years ago on the spur of the moment while driving north I decided to go through Calamague Canyon. I was driving my 86 Blazer S-10 4wd. There was a little water in the usual spots and I came upon two Mexican gentlemen in a 1950 or 51 Chevy pickup who were stuck. In trying to get unstuck they had ended up mired to the axle. I was able to get around them and hooked up a tow strap and was able to get them out in short order. Not a real difficult situation but with the lack of traffic through there it could have been bad for them.

The two were a guy about my age and his father. They were from Tecate but told me they had a gold mine in that area that they were working on.

We drove together up to the fish camp road where they went east and I went west to visit Coco.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2023 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I learned an interesting thing while working on the Eliodoro Arce family tree, Arce = 🍁 Maple.

An "interesting thing"? Most people would call that learning Spanish.

OK smarty, what does Villavicencio mean in English?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2023 at 04:18 PM

Quite a few years ago we headed out of our town to a remote beach area about twenty-five miles away. About ten miles off of the main highway on the road to the beach, we came upon a broken-down pickup with two guys poking around under the hood. We stopped to offer assistance and they said, "Everything's okay. Somebody else will be along". We continued on down the road to the beach and spent the next three or four hours just poking around.

On our way back to the highway: the truck was still there, the two guys were now sitting on the ground trying to share a tiny speck of shade, and quite honestly, not looking very good. We gave them some water, a small snack, and hitched up the tow rope to pull them the ten miles out to the highway.

When we got to the highway I decided to just keep towing them to the town that they lived in. It was about eight miles in the opposite direction from which we were going but we didn't have anything else to do that day and it just wasn't a big deal.

When we got to their town we towed them right into a walled compound and got them unhitched. We spent the rest of the afternoon under their palapa drinking beer and eating food.

A few weeks later I was telling a close Mexican friend about the towing escapade. He smiled with a bit of surprise in his eyes and asked, "Which house?". Turns out that those two guys are members of the local cartel and the walled compound is a bit of an armed fortress.

I still occasionally run into one of the guys around the area. There is always a smile, and a wave, and a big "Hola amigo!"

[Edited on 4-24-2023 by RnR]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2023 at 01:37 AM

RnR Now you have protection!

So many stories to tell but one that comes to mind was when my late sister drove my brother and mom down to our house in La Bocana. My brother is a surfer and mentioned that he would like to check out waves, so my sister left highway 1 somewhere and drove to the beach. she promptly got stuck in the sand.

A couple people come to help but they are drunk as skunks and eventually say they will come back the next day. So, my 80+ year old mom is looking at spending a night in the cold by the ocean...no extra water, no food and I have no clue any of this is going on.

Somehow they ended up at a fisherman's house. The woman of the house kicked one of her kids out of his bed for my Mom. She prepared dinner and breakfast the next day for all 3.

Forever grateful to that family!

BTW The guys did come back in the morning and got my sister's big pickup unstuck.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2023 at 06:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
RnR Now you have protection!

My thoughts exactly !!

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-25-2023 at 09:27 AM

Way back in the early 80's, I was on a surfing trip at K38 (Taco surf)
while there , there was a few Mexican locals that were renting out horses. Well, one of the young Mexican men ended up getting bucked off a horse and was scraped up and bleeding a bit. I always carry medical supplies with me as I wanted to be a paramedic in previous years.
I cleaned his wounds and bandaged him up and thought nothing of it, happy to help.

A little while later, a big water track snows up that were the family of the horse renters. They invited me to the casa up on top of the hill on the other side of Hwy 1, so I joined them and off we go.

At the casa I met the whole Family, it was my first taste of real Mexican hospitality, the "Mi casa es su casa" was in full effect.
Luckily, there were some relatives down from the US that spoke English, as my Spanish at that time was muy malo,
The Patriarch of the family was an old Man that was still in great shape as I was told , he walked down and up that steep hill every day.
I was treated to Tequila, beers and fantastic food until i left.
What a great evening and experience that was, it sure showed me the true Mexican spirit of Family and hospitality.
The old Man told me to please return and that I was welcomed any time...

All this time, my buddies I was with were worried and wondering where the "F" I was ???
I returned and told them of the great evening I had.
Viva Mexico !!!

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2023 at 01:24 PM

I do remember a good life saving story, well maybe not life saving, but close enough. in the early 80s we would go diving at a place called Kennedy's camp. It was located across from La Jolla Camp over the mountain on the water. There were a couple of coves. Old man Kennedy was a Mexican lobster fisherman along with his sons he set traps for lobster. He kept his boats in one of the coves.

A couple of buddies and I went to Kennedy's to dive for fish. While there a small group of local college kids along with their teacher arrived to scuba dive and free dive. They had the gun type spear gun not the Hawaiian sling. One of the boys climbed out of the water onto a rock to adjust his wet suit. As he got back into the water he reached for his spear gun and as he pulled it to him it went off hitting him in the thigh. He screamed for help. The teacher came to us for help getting him back to our camp. We used one of Kennedy's boats to bring him from the rock to the shore. We carried him on a board I had up the hill to my truck where we put him in the back.

Off the teacher and I went to a hospital. The Dr told us that because of the barb on the spear he would have to cut open the thigh to remove it. With everything under control I returned to camp. There was very little blood loss and it hurt like heck. A couple of inches one way or another and the spear could have hit him in the chest. In some ways that was the kids lucky day.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2023 at 08:27 PM

I've had the opportunity to save some immigrants that came out of Baja when I was a FF in East San Diego County more than a few times.

Sometimes starving and severely dehydrated, sometimes after being yard-saled after getting rammed by pursuit vehicles.
A lot were AFU and some we couldn't save.
Many were just scared when law enforcement became involved.

I did sew up a ocal guy's arm down in BoLA with some internal and external stitches once that was looking pretty rugged.
It took a lot of dissolving and regular suture thread!

Nothing really dramatic SOB, though.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2023 at 08:46 AM

Every winter I tow a few kayakers into shore on Bahia Concepcion. They learn about stiff offshore winds the hard way. It's easy to get out but getting in is a lot of work, too much for some.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.