Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bridge to the mainland
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2023 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
I read an article in one of the spanish language newspapers a couple days ago. I think the term "bridge" is a gross mis translation. The word 'bridge" is a metaphor. From what I could read it is going to be a highway in Baja (North) that connects the west coast to the east coast. The goal is to bring more maritime tourist traffic to the ports on the NW coast of mainland in Sonora. It's going to be a project that somehow carries boats across the peninsula so they don't have to go around the tip. Kind of a scaled down version of the Escalera Nautica. I may not be 100% correct, but that's what I gleaned out of the article.

There are thousands of boats in San Carlos, Sonora.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-30-2023 at 10:57 AM

Tides in the SOC can be as high as 22'. Average is around 17'.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Yeah, on a boat it looks pretty level
But the mid-rift depth is close to 2 miles
Boy, those would be some kind of pilings.

The deeper section will be bridged with pontoons that will rise and fall with the tides. What could go wrong?

I think you should dump some of your bridge stocks and send the money to me. I can get you in on the ground floor of the pontoon production! :rolleyes:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-30-2023 at 05:04 PM

OK, I started this thread (tongue firmly in cheek) so I am entitled to a brief timeout and sidebar....

It seems that a fellow did a magnificent thing for all of mankind. God Himself acknowledge this deed and sent down word, "Tell him I will grant his deepest wish."

Guy thinks a moment and says, "Well, I have always wanted to go to Hawaii but I am afraid of flying and don't like going on a ship. Can you build me a bridge from San Francisco to Honolulu so I can drive?"

Brief pause from Heaven, then word comes down," You know what an enormous waste of resources that would be and not do that much good for all of mankind. Do you have a second request?"

Guy ponders that one and says, "God, can you explain the nature of women to me?"

Immediate answer comes down..... "Do you want 2 lanes or 4?"
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2023 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

That is true of the very Northern part of Baja near San Felipe/Rocky Point. Tides aren't anywhere close to that on the majority of the SoC.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 4-30-2023 at 10:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

That is true of the very Northern part of Baja near San Felipe/Rocky Point. Tides aren't anywhere close to that on the majority of the SoC.

well you're both wrong, SOC has no tides (think of the great lakes) what you see is a tidal current, it isn't large enough to be influenced by the gravitational pull from the moon ;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-1-2023 at 09:53 AM

Wow, seriously?? Even the Great Lakes have tides. The vertical change in sea level between high and low tides can be close to 25 feet. The sea may retract a half mile where the bottom is almost flat in the northern gulf.

Just a couple hours empties this lagoon after peak high tide:

Or, on the gulf beach (20 miles south of San Felipe):

Below: Can you see my truck and tent as I walk out at low tide in the morning? In a few hour, the ocean will be up to nearly my truck's level.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-1-2023 at 10:36 AM
Not Baja, but a tidal learning experience

Early in my relocation to Alaska, I was involved in a poorly planned float trip on the Little Susitna River. The idea was to do a two day float trip down from the Parks highway to intercept a spring run of salmon where roads and large boats couldn't reach them.

We had outboards that we planned on running back from the mouth of the river to the port of Anchorage. We reached the mud flats of Cook Inlet on a spring low tide of -5 feet, and a high tide of 33 feet!

Added to that hurdle, the onshore wind was way more than we could deal with in LFRBs, so we spent an extra day on the edge of the flats before we could cross over!

Now, back to Baja!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tomieharder
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2023 at 05:56 PM

Couldn't they just use the bridge money to fix the potholes?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-1-2023 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tomieharder  
Couldn't they just use the bridge money to fix the potholes?

What’s wrong with potholes?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2023 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Wow, seriously?? Even the Great Lakes have tides. The vertical change in sea level between high and low tides can be close to 25 feet. The sea may retract a half mile where the bottom is almost flat in the northern gulf.

Below: Can you see my truck and tent as I walk out at low tide in the morning? In a few hour, the ocean will be up to nearly my truck's level.

a ten second google search provided this:

" The Sea of Cortez is too small to have much of a real lunar tide of its own. Even though it has no tides, the sea does produce a very strong tidal flow. The lunar tides of the Pacific cause strong currents in the sea which actually occur as a lifting motion."

the great lakes sometimes have a tide of 4-5cm, they too are considered "non tidal"

but cool you got to bust out your dirt island pix....again
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2023 at 09:23 AM

So, if the Internet says one thing but your eyes clearly show that is false... you believe in the Internet over your eyes?

Do you know the difference between sand and dirt... I think granular size may be one difference. Perhaps sea shell content is another?

Here are a couple of observation rules to help you, grasshopper:

I) When you pour water on dirt, it makes mud. When you pour water on sand, it does not.

II) When the wind blows moderately over dirt, it makes dust. When the wind blows moderately over sand, it does not.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2023 at 10:26 AM

dk, i disagree! you need to be careful with words!

Do you know the difference between sand and dirt... I think granular size may be one difference. Perhaps sea shell content is another?

I) When you pour water on dirt, it makes mud. When you pour water on sand, it does not.

actually,... if the dirt is a coarse sand, pouring water on it may not make a "mud." and if the sand is a silty sand or clayey sand, then pouring water on it may make a "mud." and most saturated sands tend to be prone to liquifaction, that is akin to "mud" in your laymans sense of the word

II) When the wind blows moderately over dirt, it makes dust. When the wind blows moderately over sand, it does not.

"moderate wind" blowing over damp or cemented/cohesive "dirt" may not make appreciable airborne dust. and i have seen many a "moderate wind" blow across sand (beaches, dunes) and create airborne particulates that you call "dust."

[Edited on 5-3-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2023 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

a ten second google search provided this:

" The Sea of Cortez is too small to have much of a real lunar tide of its own. Even though it has no tides, the sea does produce a very strong tidal flow. The lunar tides of the Pacific cause strong currents in the sea which actually occur as a lifting motion."

the great lakes sometimes have a tide of 4-5cm, they too are considered "non tidal"

but cool you got to bust out your dirt island pix....again

wet willy,
I think the daily variation of water level in the sea of cortez constitutes tide.

here is a definition for tide: the alternate rising and falling of the surface of the ocean and of water bodies (such as gulfs and bays) connected with the ocean that occurs usually twice a day and is the result of differing gravitational forces exerted at different parts of the earth by another body (such as the moon or sun)

here is a tutorial for you: https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_tides/

[Edited on 5-3-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2023 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
So, if the Internet says one thing but your eyes clearly show that is false... you believe in the Internet over your eyes?

Here are a couple of observation rules to help you, grasshopper:

seriously david...get help:(

Me??? You are the one following me and needing to make stupid remarks, like here when I posted a reply to illustrate the topic (tides in the gulf). Constructive content for those who want to learn.

rccali
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2023 at 12:59 PM

Me??? You are the one following me and needing to make stupid remarks, like here when I posted a reply to illustrate the topic (tides in the gulf). Constructive content for those who want to learn.

Intelligence and tRUMPism are mutually exclusive. Bow down to DK our most "learned" nomad :lol:.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2023 at 01:32 PM

"The internet says" indicates that you don't understand the difference between Joe Blow insisting on a forum the earth is flat, and accessing solid scientific information, like looking up info on a medical condition on the Mayo Clinic website.

In the case of your photos, all they prove "with your own eyes" is that the water level changes, but scientifically, neither the Sea of Cortez, nor the Great Lakes are considered to be tidal.

From the US National Ocean Service website (a little more authoritative source than Baja Nomad David) :

"True tides—changes in water level caused by the gravitational forces of the sun and moon—do occur in a semi-diurnal (twice daily) pattern on the Great Lakes. Studies indicate that the Great Lakes spring tide, the largest tides caused by the combined forces of the sun and moon, is less than five centimeters in height. These minor variations are masked by the greater fluctuations in lake levels produced by wind and barometric pressure changes.
Consequently, the Great Lakes are considered to be non-tidal."

And from All About Baja site:

"The Sea of Cortez is too small to have much of a real lunar tide of its own. Even though it has no tides, the sea does produce a very strong tidal flow. The lunar tides of the Pacific cause strong currents in the sea which actually occur as a lifting motion. The speed of these currents is determined, in part, by the width of the shore, the depth of the water, and the contour of the bottom."

So you are free to make up anything you want based on the notions you form based upon your own observations, but presenting them as fact puts you in the same category as Joe Blow claiming the earth is flat.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2023 at 03:12 PM
elgatoloco - I found the napkin!

...and for 20 pesos I'll turn it over and refresh your memory showing the sketch on the back.

John M
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.