BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tire sizes available in Baja?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-4-2023 at 09:41 AM
Tire sizes available in Baja?

I recently acquired an older mini-motorhome based on a GM van chassis. The wheels are eight lug 16.5 inch, with light truck tires on them (not dual wheels).

I know that even when 16.5 inch tires were common in the US, they were hard to find in Mexico or Canada. I am looking for a good set of 16" wheels and tires, but I keep finding 17" and 18" sets.

I think they will fit the wheel wells, but I am wondering if there are problems finding replacements for wither size if I have multiple tire failures?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2023 at 10:57 AM

Here's a big tire dealer in northern baja.

https://cotiza.tersallantas.com/

Perhaps find a website of a retailer in the area you're interested in.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2023 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Perhaps find a website of a retailer in the area you're interested in.

Thanks for the link! The first page of it showed me tires for 17, and 18 inch rims, but it is not a retailer I was looking for. I was more interested in what I might find for an emergency replacement in some of the more remote communities.

I will make sure that I have good tires and a matching spare, but the possibility of multiple damaged tires is real, and I would hope to find a matching size to at least get back to one of those retailers.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2023 at 07:20 PM

Stuff like you want or need are stocked by various distributers in Tijuana and Mexicali. And shop in Baja that sells new tires will be able to order desires.
We do that kind of stuff all the time. 1 day delivery to San Felipe. Further south takes more time.
Odd sized means the local tire guy will have to call more than one distributer.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2023 at 08:42 PM

I blew my sidewall out on a trail near La Paz. Put the spare on.

Decided we needed to get a new spare to continue the trip. Got a 33" in La Paz. Cost about double what it would in the US. Better safe than sorry.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 08:58 AM

My policy for decades has been to carry a second spare on its own matching wheel. Before I did, I paid handsomely for a matching tire in Constitution when I got a flat that was beyond repairing. At the time, I was happy enough that I found a matching BFG tire for my van, but it was a lesson well learned.

With a heavy vehicle like most trucks and outfitted vans by the time you can pull over the tire is beyond saving, or at least it has been in my experience. Light vehicles stand a better chance of not destroying the rubber when a flat happens.

Even in my car I added a matching wheel and full size spare to counter the dumb donut spare it came with. I hope to not ever have to use that donut, but it is a comfort to know it is there if my spare fails. A little extra road insurance can be a good thing. So is a can of Fix-a-flat just in case. haha
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 10:06 AM

I know about trashing a tire.
To avoid such an issue get a TPMS setup.
Buy on the web. Suggest the ones that screw on the valve stem. Look for the brand the not only gives you the pressure for each tire, but also warns for a slow leak or a sudden leak with a loud sound.
Like many other things it is just insurance but the cost on one bad tire is much more than the cost of TPMS. All newer vehicles by law for several years are required to have TMPS.
TMPS - tire pressure monitor system
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 10:26 AM

That is a good idea, I will check it out! In the lighter vehicles that I normally drive to Baja, I can usually feel a difference in handling and discover a slow leak before ruining a tire, but the RV will probably be a different story.

I also learned a few years ago to carry an inner tube with me in case I get small sidewall punctures that are problematic to patch. More insurance!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 11:02 AM

I had a 1969 Ford Club Wagon (Van with all windows) and it had 16.5 inch wheels. My brother suggested putting 16 inch wheels on it. I hit up the junkyards and found 5 wheels and made the switch.

On my 04 Tacoma I found a wheel place in Pamona (LA area) that sold all kinds of used wheels and I was able to buy a couple of spares. I don't remember the name of the place but I'll do a little digging and see what I come up with.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 11:10 AM

Ebay has 16 inch 8 lug chevy rims that fit a 2500 GMC Van that might work. $64 each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204159796453?hash=item2f88df44e5:g:...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I had a 1969 Ford Club Wagon (Van with all windows) and it had 16.5 inch wheels. My brother suggested putting 16 inch wheels on it. I hit up the junkyards and found 5 wheels and made the switch.

I did the same thing with my dad's 79 Ford F-250. I still have it, but it will no longer pass smog. I could probably put them on my GM van conversion, but the highway tires are old and the rims are ugly!

I am exploring options for a more suitable AT type tire, and a better looking wheel would be nice, although not really necessary.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 11:42 AM

I also did a Google search of used rims for sale in the Pomona area and it came up with several places. I couldn't find the place I went to. If you have the specs on the rims you have you shouldn't have any problem matching it with to a 16 inch rim. Back spacing would probably be the primary spec to match.

I think you are wise to move to a 16 inch rim because that is a very common size for truck tires Although 17 and 18 inch sizes are right behind.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 07:09 PM

You can order them at Tersa but it can take a while to arrive.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.