Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: restraining your pooch in your car
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 11:10 AM
restraining your pooch in your car

short video from a very happy hombre about the law regarding traveling with fido.....
https://fb.watch/kk-K-vvVkX/

(and yeah its an advertisement for insurance too)

[Edited on 5-5-2023 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 11:43 AM

The La Paz Municipal police showed me the regulation, and the UMA on their smart phone last October. This was way out near El Cien on my way north!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The La Paz Municipal police showed me the regulation, and the UMA on their smart phone last October. This was way out near El Cien on my way north!

but your wife and a half dozen kids in the back of a pick-up truck no problemo!:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
short video from a very happy hombre about the law regarding traveling with fido.....
https://fb.watch/kk-K-vvVkX/

(and yeah its an advertisement for insurance too)

[Edited on 5-5-2023 by Don Pisto]

When we had travelled with our dog, we put a simple cage barrier between us and the dog, attached a lease to its collar so he could roam around his area, and he travelled quite well, especially on long trips. No jumping out opened windows or running off when we stopped for breaks as soon as we opened the tailgate. simple and effective.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 02:15 PM

I got stopped in a Federal Police roadblock this year. He told me he wanted money because my dog did not have a harness on. I acted as though I spoke zero Spanish. He eventually just let us go with no mordida.

Now that I know it is actually the law, I will put a harness on my old shepherd. Good information. Thanks for posting.

As previously said, there are so many other blatant infractions by the locals, it is ridiculous to stop someone over this.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
As previously said, there are so many other blatant infractions by the locals, it is ridiculous to stop someone over this.

I don’t follow your logic. Are you saying that there are so many infractions by others that your own infractions should be ignored? :no::no::no::no:

I am annoyed when gringos react to being stopped by popo and blame the cop for corruption, instead of admitting their own fault. :thumbdown:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 03:31 PM

This is how my dog rides. He's not dumb enough to jump out, even when he sees another dog.

[Edited on 5-5-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 03:33 PM

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 04:15 PM

I dunno JZ...that one on the left looks pretty sad to me. You sure he doesn't need out for a break?

[Edited on 5-5-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 06:58 AM

FYI. Drove north through Mexicali yesterday. Just before reaching the Sentri lane a policia pulls me over and says I have to pay a fine because my dog is not on a leash. I played dump and said I never heard of that. He repeated that I have to pay a fine several times and we both had extended stares back and forth for uncomfortable moments. Finally I said I'll go to the police station. We had more stares. Long story short, I didn't give him any money, which he was clearly hoping for. After 20 minutes driving through town and getting all the red lights :-) two other policia show up saying they want to do a gun and drug inspection. And so forth and so forth. When it finally became obvious to them they were not getting any money from me they said I'm free to go. I said see ya and drove away. I'll be rigging up some short leashes in back to use in the future. Don't pay mordida!

[Edited on 7-30-2023 by Doug/Vamonos]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
FYI. Drove north through Mexicali yesterday. Just before reaching the Sentri lane a policia pulls me over and says I have to pay a fine because my dog is not on a leash. I played dump and said I never heard of that. He repeated that I have to pay a fine several times and we both had extended stares back and forth for uncomfortable moments. Finally I said I'll go to the police station. We had more stares. Long story short, I didn't give him any money, which he was clearly hoping for. After 20 minutes driving through town and getting all the red lights :-) two other policia show up saying they want to do a gun and drug inspection. And so forth and so forth. When it finally became obvious to them they were not getting any money from me they said I'm free to go. I said see ya and drove away. I'll be rigging up some short leashes in back to use in the future. Don't pay mordida!

But you knew you were breaking the law requiring you to restrain your dog. If you break the law, you should pay the ticket. Not your choice to refuse payment due to your disagreement with how you think fines may be handled by government. Those cops would have been right to haul you to jail for refusing a ticket.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 08:07 AM

I wonder if there really is such a law, but assuming there is...........

Having a leash on the dog with the end tied to something like a seatbelt is OK?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Yes, in Mexicali dogs in automobiles must be restrained.
If you protect yourself with a seat belt, why wouldn’t you protect your child, friend or pet with a restraint?

Woke!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 08:27 AM

The La Paz cop that was shaking me down for a mordida had the statute downloaded to his smart phone and showed it to me.

I have a harness for my girl that can either be secured with a seatbelt or clipped into a short leash anchored to my roll bar or grab bars. I do that when crossing or heading toward known problem checkpoints, but she had the back seat to herself when I got pulled over near El Cien.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If you protect yourself with a seat belt, why wouldn’t you protect your child, friend or pet with a restraint?

A dog wearing a seatbelt. ok
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

A dog wearing a seatbelt. ok

Dog seat belts are pretty common. Many responsible pet owners use dog safety tethers in autos.

Woke!

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 12:02 PM

"But you knew you were breaking the law requiring you to restrain your dog. If you break the law, you should pay the ticket. Not your choice to refuse payment due to your disagreement with how you think fines may be handled by government. Those cops would have been right to haul you to jail for refusing a ticket.[/rquote]

I do value some of your posts.

But this is just funny.

Why live in a land of malleable and situational law if you can mold it a bit to fit a circumstance?

And, yes, law here is extremely situational and opportunistic, you won't change that, none of us here will.

And, no, going to jail wasn't on the table when Doug volunteered to do the legal thing and go to the station.
Kind of takes anything other than you just obviously stirring the pot out of your self-righteous horse chiite.

Good one!

Anyway, keep up the fishing, plenty of fish in this tiny pond biting.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 12:19 PM

Why not leash your ever loving pets for their own benefit?

For decades here in Socal. leashing your dogs in the back of an open pickup truck has been mandated. Abide at your own risk of a deserved citation.

I owned an old pickup truck for a few years and always at the least leashed them in the back bed for a trip to Del Mar dog beach.

Baja? I suspect this provides another opportunity for cops to f with us for mordida. Don't give them the excuse to f with you should be a mantra for every visitor south of the border.

While I took a dog or dogs to Baja for years, I always had a van and was never hassled. Out of sight, out of mind has its value.

For open truck beds or not, do yourself and your loving pets a favor and secure them in whatever way you can. With the love they give us, this should be easy enough to do.

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 06:15 PM

You are a class act old goat man. I’m sharing info about an obvious shakedown. They don’t give a sh*t about enforcing any rules or protecting my dog. They were clearly after a mordida. None of that “fine” would have gone to the community. Go away you old goat.

[Edited on 7-31-2023 by Doug/Vamonos]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
You are a class act old goat man. I’m sharing info about an obvious shakedown. They don’t give a sh*t about enforcing any rules or protecting my dog. They were clearly after a mordida. None of that “fine” would have gone to the community. Go away you old goat.

[Edited on 7-31-2023 by Doug/Vamonos]

Good info. Like many things in Mexico, we will just have to deal with the selective enforcement of things as they come.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.