BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: TIP info for Trailers, motorhomes and cars.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2023 at 04:06 PM
TIP info for Trailers, motorhomes and cars.

From the Baja Pony Express...
TIP ARTICLE — TIP or no TIP and more. First let me establish the base for the reasons the Secretary of Finance of the State of Baja California Sur seized certain land vehicles and other goods which were not imported. The President of Mexico issued a presidential decree ordering the seizure of trailers which were not imported and the State Sec. of Finance has an accord with the Federal Custom dept. to be able to do seizures on non imported goods. Mexico, as any other country, has laws and regulations regarding the entrance of goods in the country, they are known as IMPORTATION or CUSTOMS LAWS AND REGULATIONS, the federal government dept., of CUSTOMS is the one which applies the legislation, and if they find out a good was not imported can, in virtue of the law and regulations seize the goods and apply fines and can incarcerate the person who did not respect the law plus as indicated in the previous paragraph the Sec. of Finance of BCS has an agreement with the federal government to seize. In Mexico, for logistics reasons the federal government invented what has become known as a TIP (Temporary Importation Permit) process allowing a land vehicle to be able to travel in Mexico; but they made exceptions for the complete Baja California peninsula and other States. Thus, we will now only talk about the necessity of having a TIP or NOT on a land vehicle in BCS. Many articles were published on the Internet, some not so bad and some no so good, in general providing incomplete or confusing information. The only good articles are the ones published by government these articles are very precise. http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_tempo... is where one finds the 5 W’s (Who, Where Why and When) regarding the TIP plus the cost of a TIP and what can be included with the vehicle. As with any publication one has to read not only words but association of words, it is very important regarding foreigners: “… foreigners with a visitor’s permit, temporary resident and student temporary resident may temporarily import a single vehicle…” There is NO mention of a permanent resident….As for a seized vehicle: A TIP can not be issued after the vehicle as been seized. As for the ones who say that they will not pay the fines and taxes; These do not go away and private property(ies) can be seized. In other words, the TIP process for a “land vehicle” is available to foreigners who are in the country on a temporary visit; the TIP expires on the final day of the “FMM” or the last day indicated on the temporary resident card. A TIP can NOT be issued to foreigners who have elected to live in a permanent manner in Mexico; The Presidential decree has a final date: Month of July 2022, once expired the Sec. of Finance of the State of BCS will apply the law thus continue to seize any article that was not imported as per the law. They will seize all land vehicles that are illegal in Mexico where ever they are, be on the street, on private property or any other locations. As for the “permanent resident” options, said person MUST import his or her land vehicle which is in Mexico, the FULL importation process can only be done at the border through an importation broker and there are rules that limit the importation. For vehicles which do not meet the rules, were fabricated in Canada, USA or Mexico and came in Mexico before 2019, the new system known as the Nationalization by presidential decree is available at a very low cost plus enables one to get local plates which are required after 15 days of residence in a municipality along with local driver`s Permit. In conclusion, legislations are modified and enacted all the time thus, it is important that one checks regularly on a particular subject so as not to be taken by surprise using ONLY the articles published by the government as the “bible”.Lic. JACQUES-EDOUARD BEAULNE, LL.B., D.D.N. LAWYER IN MEXICO, STATE CED. PROF. 0086

Looks as they are going to finally crack down on people not being completely honest.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2023 at 05:05 PM

I have said before that it's illegal for permanent residents to drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico (and Baja is a part of Mexico), but Baja nomads have always seemed to think they don't have to abide by that law.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2023 at 05:20 PM

Paragraph breaks are your friend.

TIP ARTICLE — TIP or no TIP and more. First let me establish the base for the reasons the Secretary of Finance of the State of Baja California Sur seized certain land vehicles and other goods which were not imported. The President of Mexico issued a presidential decree ordering the seizure of trailers which were not imported and the State Sec. of Finance has an accord with the Federal Custom dept. to be able to do seizures on non imported goods.

Mexico, as any other country, has laws and regulations regarding the entrance of goods in the country, they are known as IMPORTATION or CUSTOMS LAWS AND REGULATIONS, the federal government dept., of CUSTOMS is the one which applies the legislation, and if they find out a good was not imported can, in virtue of the law and regulations seize the goods and apply fines and can incarcerate the person who did not respect the law plus as indicated in the previous paragraph the Sec. of Finance of BCS has an agreement with the federal government to seize.

In Mexico, for logistics reasons the federal government invented what has become known as a TIP (Temporary Importation Permit) process allowing a land vehicle to be able to travel in Mexico; but they made exceptions for the complete Baja California peninsula and other States. Thus, we will now only talk about the necessity of having a TIP or NOT on a land vehicle in BCS.

Many articles were published on the Internet, some not so bad and some no so good, in general providing incomplete or confusing information. The only good articles are the ones published by government these articles are very precise. http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_tempo... is where one finds the 5 W’s (Who, Where Why and When) regarding the TIP plus the cost of a TIP and what can be included with the vehicle.

As with any publication one has to read not only words but association of words, it is very important regarding foreigners: “… foreigners with a visitor’s permit, temporary resident and student temporary resident may temporarily import a single vehicle…” There is NO mention of a permanent resident….As for a seized vehicle: A TIP can not be issued after the vehicle as been seized. As for the ones who say that they will not pay the fines and taxes; These do not go away and private property(ies) can be seized.

In other words, the TIP process for a “land vehicle” is available to foreigners who are in the country on a temporary visit; the TIP expires on the final day of the “FMM” or the last day indicated on the temporary resident card. A TIP can NOT be issued to foreigners who have elected to live in a permanent manner in Mexico; The Presidential decree has a final date: Month of July 2022, once expired the Sec. of Finance of the State of BCS will apply the law thus continue to seize any article that was not imported as per the law. They will seize all land vehicles that are illegal in Mexico where ever they are, be on the street, on private property or any other locations.

As for the “permanent resident” options, said person MUST import his or her land vehicle which is in Mexico, the FULL importation process can only be done at the border through an importation broker and there are rules that limit the importation. For vehicles which do not meet the rules, were fabricated in Canada, USA or Mexico and came in Mexico before 2019, the new system known as the Nationalization by presidential decree is available at a very low cost plus enables one to get local plates which are required after 15 days of residence in a municipality along with local driver`s Permit.

In conclusion, legislations are modified and enacted all the time thus, it is important that one checks regularly on a particular subject so as not to be taken by surprise using ONLY the articles published by the government as the “bible”.Lic. JACQUES-EDOUARD BEAULNE, LL.B., D.D.N. LAWYER IN MEXICO, STATE CED. PROF. 0086

[Edited on 5-15-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2023 at 05:28 PM

At least part of the article doesn't sound correct to me. Or at a minimum it is ambiguous. Also note, it was written by a lawyer. I.e. he is using the article to drum up business.

I'm unaware of someone needing a TIP in Baja for a regular vehicle or trailer. On the mainland, yes a TIP is required if a) you drive South or East of certain cities in Sonora or b) your are carrying or towing things like dirt bikes, UTV's, etc.

TIPs are required in Baja for boats, except very small ones.

Not sure about RV's. Guessing they are required in Baja.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2023 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
At least part of the article doesn't sound correct to me. Or at a minimum it is ambiguous. Also note, it was written by a lawyer. I.e. he is using the article to drum up business.

I'm unaware of someone needing a TIP in Baja for a regular vehicle or trailer. On the mainland, yes a TIP is required if a) you drive South or East of certain cities in Sonora or b) your are carrying or towing things like dirt bikes, UTV's, etc.

TIPs are required in Baja for boats, except very small ones.

Not sure about RV's. Guessing they are required in Baja.

I get the impression that tips are not reqd for typical short-term tourist visit, but when you put your vehicle in storage or vehicle stays for longer than a tourist stays,… then tips are required

I see a lot of gringo-owned vehicles that are in baja for quite a long time w/o any sort of proper paperwork… Lots of people living in baja in a gray area, and many of these same people have common feature of gray hair :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 06:04 AM

Jizzy, this is another “copy and paste“ from the same Los Barriles source. I did not rewrite it with your required paragraphs.

It is solely for information to people living here in their trailers and Motorhomes.....

“Our 5th wheel trailer is one of 16 trailers impounded at Verdugo’s Storage. The 16 page notice listing all the trailers was from the Secretaria de Finanzas y Administracion, Gobierno de Baja California Sur, subsecretaria de Finanzas, Direccion de Fiscalizacion Aduanera. Per article 106, section V, of the Customs Law, 162 of the Regulation of the Customs Law and rule 4.2.6 of the General Rules of Foreign Trade (I have a copy), a TIP is required ( I think because the trailer was under the guardianship of a Mexican company). I started the regularization process. Anyone else?“

And I I understand “ they are“ going to be moving up the coast to the La Ventana area soon as well as the airport storage in La Paz.

It appears this administration is trying to clean up undocumented vehicles in Baja, hence the easy method they have set up to import the undocumented vehicles over the past 6-9 months.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 07:46 AM

WOW. There must be thousands of RVs in Baja that are at risk.
TIPS for RVs are very rare when crossing into Baja.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 09:01 AM

this thread might get as popular as the "palm tree under water" thread

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

On other sites, months ago, it was made clear... if you vacation in Baja (FMM holder), your personal property, vehicles, etc. cannot stay in Mexico.. as then that means you are not a 'tourist' but instead a 'part-time resident' hopefully with the correct immigration papers.

Since there are countless gringos who don't care about learning this rule... or just ignore it, and they leave their trailers and cars in Baja, when they fly home or drive home in another car: THAT IS WHERE THE TIP RULE IS NOW ENFORCED. Traveling motorhomes, trailers that are not left in Baja do not need a TIP.

This was the message given on other sites last year...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 11:23 AM

I'm still confused. Been staying at my casa for winter time for 23 years. I have PR and drive my car back and forth to the states but sometimes I do fly. It's licensed in the states. Insured in both countries. Someone said I need Mexican plates. That doesn't make any sense to me if I'm driving back to the U.S.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 11:32 AM

I think the answer to these two questions is the key:

1) Does the property ever stay in Mexico when you leave?

2) Which are you holding?:
.....a) Mexico’s visitor permit, FMM
.....b) Mexico’s temporary residency visa
.....c)Mexico’s permanent residency visa

For the details: https://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/living-in-mexico/visas...

2023 Updated immigration guide (free): https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-immigration-guide-ebook/

[Edited on 5-15-2023 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Source of income from people who have chronically abused the system by not paying their fair share is now catching up.

We import all of our cars we bring down, for $2,500 pesos here in La Paz and our yearly rate is a whopping $250 pesos a year, and we have Full national plates! Takes a whopping 45 min to do the process...possibly the easiest thing ever to get accomplished.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigOly  
I'm still confused. Been staying at my casa for winter time for 23 years. I have PR and drive my car back and forth to the states but sometimes I do fly. It's licensed in the states. Insured in both countries. Someone said I need Mexican plates. That doesn't make any sense to me if I'm driving back to the U.S.

It's immaterial whether it makes sense to you or not. (And BTW, you can't drive a foreign plated vehicle around in the US or Canada for more than a brief amount of time, regardless of whether you plan to drive it back to Mexico sometime in the future- so it's not something unique to Mexico)
It's Mexican Customs law that it's illegal for permanent residents to bring in, or drive a foreign plated car in Mexico. Permanent residents on the mainland got rid of their NOB plated cars years ago. It's just taken this long for Baja to enforce the law. Your vehicle can be confiscated.
Some couples keep one residency as temporal specifically so they can keep their NOB plated car in Mexico and drive it back and forth.

[Edited on 5-15-2023 by surabi]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 03:19 PM

Mexico should be satisfied with all the $'s Americans are pumping into the MX economy.

It's crazy how some of you just want to tax people endlessly.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 03:58 PM

Mexico should be satisfied with all the $'s Americans are pumping into the MX economy.

Likewise, Undocumented Mexicans already support the usa economy thru all their below-market rate labor and mexicans in in usa should be exempt from usa taxes. Dont you agree, half pint?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 04:49 PM

I don't mind importing my car. I'm PR but my wife is Temp. but will have PR status next year. If we drive to the border now where do we go to import the old car? I'm in Los barriles.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 04:55 PM

It's crazy how you just want to tax people endlessly.

It has nothing to do with taxes. It's customs law. Exists in the US, Canada, and most other countries. Would someone who resided in the US just be allowed to drive a Mexican plated vehicle around in the US forever? No.

"Mexico should be satisfied..." sounds like telling blacks they shouldn't complain about how they are treated, instead they should be grateful that they are no longer slaves.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 05:00 PM

I don't mind importing my car. I'm PR but my wife is Temp. but will have PR status next year. If we drive to the border now where do we go to import the old car? I'm in Los barriles.

Is your car manufactured in the US? If it's Japanese-made, or not manufactured in the US, Canada, or Mexico, you can't import it, so check that first. Also only certain age cars can be imported. Depending on how much the importation costs, it might he more cost effective to leave your US car NOB, and buy a Mexican beater to drive around and leave in Mexico.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 05:51 PM

In La Paz at the municipal building on Colima.

Thanks for being proactive in paying a fraction of what it is in the USA to help provide better roads....or better food for the Govt. officials.

At least you can drive around and not get looked at by medium to upperclass locals as a “P-nche gringo“, nor worry about your vehicle getting confiscated at some random stop.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2023 at 05:58 PM

This is not a political issue that you want to make it. It is only about doing right for the land that most people here spend most of their time and need to be informed of what is taking place.

We do not need your right winged BS here as you are the type that give the ones like us a really bad name here. Take your S..t to Florida with your new master and leave the rest of us alone to do the right thing!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.