Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New LEP scanners at border will mess up tall vehicles
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 04:44 PM
New LEP scanners at border will mess up tall vehicles

The new scanners going in at the borders are low energy portal (LEP) vehicle scanners. These have 8- to 10-ft clearance (depending on make/mfg), so if you got a RV, travel trailer, bikes on roof rack, you might be stuck!

The X-ray exposure is supposed to be under some safe limit, so they say!

The yellow safety bars are to protect the machine, not to protect your vehicle.
If you sit in a 1/2 long line at the border, where will they put the signage warning you of low clearance ahead? Will there be an opt-out lane available to you after you realize the error in your lane choice? :lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-22-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The X-ray exposure is supposed to be under some safe limit, so they say!

Fact: There is no threshold dose of ionizing radiation below which it is safe. Just the lower the dose, the lower the probability of injury. Zero dose, zero injury and it goes up from there.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 07:27 PM

Which crossings have these?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 07:43 PM
Calexico east - almost

Installation is in progress at Calexico East

Last Friday there were 5 installed, none in use, traffic still was being diverted around them. I'd rather drive under the radar scanner than be in San Vicente at the wrong time of day.

John M
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
Which crossings have these?

They are coming to all border xings. Trump admin pushed thru a bill to require 100% of all vehicles scanned by xray or gamma radiation methods.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 10:03 AM

We went north at Mexicali East last week and they were installed there.
The ones there didn’t have a top on them just vertical sides,

Mexico has something like that that they use at different military checkpoints in BCS. We’ve seen it a few times over the last year.
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 08:26 AM

Crossed north bound Mexicali East Ready Lane last week with a boat in tow. The lane is too narrow to safely tow a 20' boat through. Trailer tires rubbing on K rails during turns.
Nearing the yellow frame scanner, we were diverted to the all traffic lane where there isn't a scanner set up. There wasn't really enough room in the break of the K rails they have set up but we were being forced to try. Somehow we squeezed through but a trailer tire sidewall got torn up in the process.
I guess the "all traffic lane" is entered from the East. Ready and Sentri from the West. Our first time north bound at Mexicali East. We thought all lanes entered from the West. Oh well.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
Crossed north bound Mexicali East Ready Lane last week with a boat in tow. The lane is too narrow to safely tow a 20' boat through. Trailer tires rubbing on K rails during turns.
Nearing the yellow frame scanner, we were diverted to the all traffic lane where there isn't a scanner set up. There wasn't really enough room in the break of the K rails they have set up but we were being forced to try. Somehow we squeezed through but a trailer tire sidewall got torn up in the process.
I guess the "all traffic lane" is entered from the East. Ready and Sentri from the West. Our first time north bound at Mexicali East. We thought all lanes entered from the West. Oh well.

Yes, trailers and tall vehicles best approach Mexicali east from the east. If you got a really tough trailer, just take out the yellow frame scanner, and deny fault since clearance problem is not posted, so is govt fault for not posting clearance limit.

Woke!

geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2023 at 11:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Fact: There is no threshold dose of ionizing radiation below which it is safe. Just the lower the dose, the lower the probability of injury. Zero dose, zero injury and it goes up from there.

That's what I once thought, but then I read about hormesis. Tiny amounts of radiation are thought to be beneficial because they trigger repair mechanisms in the body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis

That said, I'd opt out if I could. I always do at airports.

[Edited on 6-19-2023 by geoffff]

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.