Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Pescadero - 2 norteamericanos die in hotel
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 08:13 AM

I don't know if there are any sources of natural gas, or other forms of methane in Baja California, but they would rise like CO does.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tomieharder
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 08:17 AM

Nothing is going to happen to the hotel operator. If sued, the hotel will counter sue the architect, the contractor and the appliance manufacturer. The attorneys for all the defendants will place the blame on the dead couple. There is no law requiring CO detectors in Mexico, thus no law forbidding their deactivation.

Welcome to Mexico. This too will be forgotten in short order, just like all the other intoxication deaths in Mexico.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 08:41 AM

SF&H,

If you don’t pay contractors they don’t finish the job. Things like leak testing and exhaust vents are usually done last. If you squeeze them on prices they use substandard materials or omit them altogether. Demand water heaters require SS exhaust venting. Have you ever looked for SS vent tubing in BCS?

JD,

Install smoke & CO detectors on the wall I usually put them over the door if there’s enough clearance. Install propane detectors close to the floor at floor plug hight. The old standard for OR’s that used propane derivative or other flammable anesthetics was no power outlets below 4’ so a propane detector too high on the wall won’t detect anything.

We have discovered that flys gather in large numbers around propane leaks. This works even in wind that stops my detector from working well. Yes, at least our BCS supplier has propane with smell added,
bajarickster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 08:47 AM
additional info on Pescadero

getting drunk is part of the wellness program??

https://nypost.com/2023/06/16/mexican-resort-where-us-couple...

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 08:49 AM

T,

This resort is a part of the Hyatt System. Being from the US this couple probably booked through the US Hyatt system. Hyatt uses their reputation to sell bookings in foreign resorts by implying that those resorts meet Hyatt's standards for a variety of things.

Suing Hyatt in the US is a no brainer. Loosing money or business (Think Target & Bud Lite here) is the only pain these folks feel.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 09:03 AM

RFC: We noted that in our ORs as well so they always required a bit different thinking, especially in regard to pressure differentials and anaesthetic gasses placement. Residences fortunately are generally lower on the wall and should be pretty ideal for gas detectors with plug in specs.

Yes, details of designed installs in final stages especially were hard to get finalized in Baja, especially through Covid years. Bureaucratic delays were far worse up here and fortunately in Baja it only took additional cash to get deficiencies resolved. We are now past 2 1/2 years and only very recently through separate contractors getting minor deficiencies corrected.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 09:12 AM

JD,

Ether and Cyclopropane were very flammable. High air exchange rates helped, that said ESUs were very common back then lots of old Ritters and not many explosions.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 09:14 AM

JD, the Covid 19 pandemic will continue to be the reason things are behind schedule until it is replaced by a tropical storm, earthquake, or some other major event.

The delays will continue, but the reasons will mutate!

[Edited on 6-17-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
JD,

Ether and Cyclopropane were very flammable. High air exchange rates helped, that said ESUs were very common back then lots of old Ritters and not many explosions.

I sense you and I share similar backgrounds RFC. Which perhaps explains somewhat why we also share our disrespect for politicians and other arm chair influencers claiming superior knowledge and overriding decades of practical Engineering experience to achieve their self serving goals.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 09:36 AM

JD,

I did Medical Electronics back in the 70’s and early 80’s that’s what got me into the movie business.

The “High regard” in which I hold most politicians and other things that slither comes from Jay Ward, Walt Kelly and Al Capp.

[Edited on 6-17-2023 by RFClark]

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

Secondly, just because a hot water heater, gas storage tank or BBQ is installed outside, do not assume you are protected, as most leaks will be found in the piping buried within the walls, either because improper materials were used, seismic activity has caused leaks or several other factors.

[Edited on 6-17-2023 by JDCanuck]

There isn't any gas piping buried in walls or underground from my outside hot water heater, there would be no need for that. There's a hose from the propane cylinder to the water heater, that's it.

In my kitchen, at the other end of the house, which uses a separate cylinder for the stove, the gas line is buried in the wall, but it's only about a 2mtr. stretch.
And if building from scratch, that could be easily avoided by designing the kitchen so the stove is on an outside wall, so the gas line only has to pass through the wall, not buried along it.

[Edited on 6-17-2023 by surabi]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 12:07 PM

I did Medical Electronics back in the 70’s and early 80’s that’s what got me into the movie business.

That's a head-scratcher, but......,but........, you don't need to elaborate.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2023 at 01:32 PM

SH&F,

Think General Hospital here.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2023 at 09:09 AM

My Wife read a news report this morning that Rancho Pescadero Hotel is currently closed due to the investigation.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2023 at 04:35 PM

:light:
My Wife read a news report this morning that Rancho Pescadero Hotel is currently closed due to the investigation.

I just read this corroborating article in the NY Daily News and other outlets.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2023 at 05:25 PM

Not surprising. There was a restaurant in Puerto Vallarta, right on the main highway a couple blocks from Costco, where some politico got shot and killed in the bathroom a few years ago, obviously a targeted hit. He was supposedly in town vacationing with his wife and kids, but was at the restaurant with some other guys, not his family, probably a set-up.

Not only did the restaurant close down for a year or two, it finally re-opened under a different name, maybe with new management.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

X2
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

X2

:lol:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 06:52 AM

There are a few clues that point to the likely cause.
The maid reported that she went to clean the room and no one answered the door, but she could hear the shower running, she returned several hours later and there was still no answer and the shower was still running, the fact that the carbon monoxide level in that room was so high that it immediately sickened the first responders, would seem to indicate that there was an issue with the venting of the water heater. The length of time that the shower was running with the water heater also constantly running, would explain the extreme concentration of CO in that room.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 08:18 AM

Monoloco,

I spoke with someone who works with the Pescadero FD. They don’t have CO testing equipment and are not sure what was in the room.

The pictures of the rooms don’t show water heaters in the bathrooms and they don’t seem to have conventional kitchens there.

That doesn’t mean it’s not CO as the custom here is not to put water traps in the gray water drains and CO rises as it’s lighter than air,
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.