Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Pescadero - 2 norteamericanos die in hotel
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 08:55 AM

Is the death trap hotel still shut down? I assume they would only reopen with full forensic report shared publicly, right?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Monoloco,

I spoke with someone who works with the Pescadero FD. They don’t have CO testing equipment and are not sure what was in the room.

The pictures of the rooms don’t show water heaters in the bathrooms and they don’t seem to have conventional kitchens there.

That doesn’t mean it’s not CO as the custom here is not to put water traps in the gray water drains and CO rises as it’s lighter than air,
The water heater is typically not in the bathroom, but in an adjacent equipment room, I'm guessing there was an issue with the venting of the heater, that somehow allowed it to leak into the room. I can't thing of any other substance other than CO that could have created those results, if it would have been propane, someone would have smelled it, and if the concentration was that high, the place likely would have gone up in a ball of flames.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Is the death trap hotel still shut down? I assume they would only reopen with full forensic report shared publicly, right?
They're closed, but there are still some people working on the uncompleted areas.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 03:24 PM

CO coming up out of a grey water drain makes no sense whatsover, regardless of whether it has a trap or not. If the water heater was malfunctioning, that is connected to water pipes, not drains, and the CO would be in the air, perhaps travelling through the air conditioning vents.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 03:39 PM

S,

You are definitely not a Plumber, whatever else you may be.

https://plumbingsolved.com/can-sewer-gas-make-you-sick/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 05:54 PM

Yes, thats why they give you a rubber thingy to put over the drain.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 06:04 PM

Have you stayed in that hotel and seen that they have rubber drain covers?

Those drain covers aren't just used to block sewer smells, btw. They are useful in preventing c-ckroaches from crawling up out of the drains (and they have no problem crawling up traps) and keeping drain flies, mosquitoes, and other insects attracted to water and dampness from congregating.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 06:24 PM

S,

I watched them build that place. We lived next door. I talked to the BF of the woman who managed it during construction and quit because things got so bad as a result of cost overruns during the final phases of construction.

Can you say corners cut in plumbing, gas and electrical to save $$$ since they are done last?

Have you been there or seen the facility?

[Edited on 7-16-2023 by RFClark]
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 07:04 PM

The rumor we have heard is, "there an is underground gas pipe leading to a fire pit that ran under this unit/room."

So, maybe the pipe connections where not done correctly which would have lead to the leak, which was causing the alarms to go off, which lead to the manager telling the workers to disconnect the alarms as it was disturbing guests.

So sad! :(
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 07:16 PM

Racist? Give me a break. I'm talking about what I have seen here in construction, in this country, which happens to involve the people who work here as builders, who happen to be Mexican, in case you didn't notice. And when I say "Mexican house" I mean a house in Mexico, nothing to do with whether it is owned by or built for a Mexican, an American, a Canadian, or a Frenchman.

And yes, there are often many corners cut when it gets to the final stages of building projects. That's why I prefer paying labor and materials, rather than a contract price. Accurate estimating isn't a strong point here, nor is budgeting, and things are too often low-balled, so they are actually out of money before the project is finished. (Not that that doesn't also happen elsewhere)

Contrary to what you mentioned elsewhere, if the homeowner is onsite and actively involved, as I was, and you were, there doesn't have to be any standing around or too many guys, dragging it out and having it take longer because they are getting paid by the day. I was a task master on my build. If the guy mixing cement was leaning on his shovel waiting for the mix to slake, I'd instruct him to do something like gather up all the half blocks scattered around and stack them up where the maestros were working, so they didn't keep cutting more blocks in half every time they needed one.

I treated my crew well and paid them well, but they quickly came to understand that I wasn't willing to pay people to stand around doing nothing. There's always something that needs attending to on a construction site, even if it's just gathering up all the chip bags and empty coke bottles they drop everywhere and putting them in a garbage bag, and if they couldn't figure out how to keep busy, I directed them.

[Edited on 7-16-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 7-16-2023 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 09:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by karenintx  
The rumor we have heard is, "there an is underground gas pipe leading to a fire pit that ran under this unit/room."

So, maybe the pipe connections where not done correctly which would have lead to the leak, which was causing the alarms to go off, which lead to the manager telling the workers to disconnect the alarms as it was disturbing guests.

Two dead, so many others overcome by gas or bad air. The place is cursed. Really should bulldoze it, return the cursed land to nature.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by karenintx  

Well, rumors are just that, but it does sound like that could have been the issue. It doesn't even have to have been connections that weren't done properly to start with- minor earthquakes or other things could cause leaks after the fact.

However, if the cause of death is determined to be CO poisoning, that rumor makes no sense. Leaking gas lines leak propane gas, not CO. So it would have to have been gas poisoning, and the thing is, you can usually smell gas leaks, whereas CO is odorless.

Disabling alarms instead of immediately investigating and dealing with the source of the problem is the real crime here.

[Edited on 7-17-2023 by surabi]
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 08:09 AM

Generally speaking doesn't CO poisoning present as a red skin tone upon death from same? No mention of the red skin coloration

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Generally speaking doesn't CO poisoning present as a red skin tone upon death from same? No mention of the red skin coloration

I have never heard about a symptom of red skin tone before, but my training was in first aid and rescue, not forensics.

While we are on the topic, I would like to pass on a warning to anyone that might find themselves stuck in deep snow. Co can build up under your vehicle, so if you run the engine and heater to stay warm you could be in danger.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 09:41 AM

There was a young woman somewhere in the northeast US, as I recall, who earlier this winter had pulled off the road in a major blizzard, and after calling her family to let them know where she was, and what was happening, was found dead in her car the following day. She had been running the heater to keep from freezing to death, when unbeknowst to her, the tailpipe was packed with snow and ice.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 09:45 AM

A teen age couple in Anchorage found a secluded spot to park his 4x4 so they could make out. It was a fatal decision!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 10:45 AM

OK so I went back to school and reread some stuff and it seems that the red coloring from CO poisoning happens in about 1% to 4% of the cases. Nice to recheck as I occasionally train pilots in CO poisoning in small aircraft where the cabin heater is a muffler like device around the exhaust pipes and any cracks in the exhaust pipe will push exhaust CO into the cabin. There are optional CO alarms designed just for small airplanes.

CO will combine with the hemoglobin much more easily than O2 thus displacing the O2 in the blood stream. Oxygen pulse oximeters for the finger tip of the hand will show 99% O2 saturation even when one is going unconscious from CO poisoning. They can't tell the difference between O2 and CO on the blood. (Remember we're talking CO (carbon monoxide, and NOT CO2, carbon Dioxide a product of exhalation)

Any fuel burning appliance will give off CO but if it is adjusted incorrectly the amount of CO given off goes up exponentially. That is why items like Mr Heater have CO cutoff circuits. IF the burning of the propane is not perfectly clean and the CO expended goes up the heater shuts itself off.

You can even get CO poisoning from some paint strippers as the gasses given off and inhaled cause the liver to have a delayed reaction and themselves give off CO into the blood stream.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 11:41 AM

As a retired Plumbing contractor and avid traveler, I have inspected the plumbing in meny Countries. My conclusion is that it is installed to just "work" without any regard so safety.

When I visited Cuba, my reason for being there was professional research, so I started a website and interviewed workers on construction sites. I also examined and took photos of as much plumbing as I could. Needless to say, it just has to work..

Mexico is pretty much the same...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 12:45 PM

"Suficientemente bueno".

If I had it to do over again, when my house here was built, I would have had things like gas lines visible and accessible, in case they need to be worked on. Chiselling out cement block walls to find and repair leaks is a different ballgame than cutting out some drywall.

As it is, I only have one short gas line buried in the walls, only 2 meters, and have never had an issue with it, and a leaking gas line could result in gas poisoning, not CO poisoning, but it would still be better to have lines easily accessible.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 02:00 PM

Quote......"and a leaking gas line could result in gas poisoning,"

Or an explosion!

Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.