Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Starlink Mexico
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-22-2023 at 02:56 PM
Starlink Mexico

I have 2 questions for those who have Starlink / Mexico. 1) If ordered to Mexico, will i be surfing in Spanish or English. i just had Hughesnet.MX installed and just about everything I surf is in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish. 2) Will Magic Jack work with Starlink. No compatible with Hughesnet

Thank you Tougholdman
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-22-2023 at 03:32 PM

Starlink is just an internet connection. You can surf in whatever language you prefer.

"Starlink supports common VoIP apps like Skype and Microsoft Teams. Popular internet-based telephone services like Ooma and MagicJack also work with Starlink."
https://blinqblinq.com/does-voip-work-with-starlink/

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2023 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tougholdman  
i just had Hughesnet.MX installed and just about everything I surf is in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish.

Thank you Tougholdman

I bet that's because HughesNet.mx is assigning a Mexican IP address to your computer. Many websites assume you want Spanish.

I assume starlink.mx would do the same, but I'm not sure.

Read about Virtual Private Networks (VPNs). You can get a U.S. IP address when in Mexico by installing a VPN application on your computer.

Google "IP address" and/or "VPN" if you need more info.

I use NordVPN when a Mex IP address is causing problems when using a US website from Mexico.

[Edited on 6-22-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 06:20 AM

Good info from both posters. I would add that magicJack and other voip's are unnecessary with starlink. You can use your cell phone as long as you have wifi calling enabled. You phone will work as if you were in the US using a good cell service. In other words no delays when speaking.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 08:34 AM

You will get a Mexico city ip address with starlink/mx. So ads will typically be aimed at a mexican user. How you setup your browser/search engine will determine those results.

Vpn, streaming and voip services work fine.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 08:36 AM

As larryC mentioned, you can get rid of that MagicJack and simply set your cell phone for wifi calling. It works really well. It was a total game changer for us to finally have good cell connection and fast internet.
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 12:37 PM

Well I called hughesnet/mx but that was a waste of time. This morning i started to stream Roku which now doesn't work neither does tubi. So i tried amazon prime and all movies were in Spanish. I not worried about phone as i have internation calling. The problem is surfing the internet and streaming TV.

I guess I'll pay for a VPN.

Next question. How about Starlink Roaming. If i use a san diego address will it work there and here in Mx
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 12:48 PM

Well I called hughesnet/mx but that was a waste of time. This morning i started to stream Roku which now doesn't work neither does tubi. So i tried amazon prime and all movies were in Spanish. I not worried about phone as i have internation calling. The problem is surfing the internet and streaming TV.

I guess I'll pay for a VPN.

Next question. How about Starlink Roaming. If i use a san diego address will it work there and here in Mx

keep in mind Roku doesn't support VPN, start by buying a firestick.I just lost my starlink (the neighbor I shared with moved back to america) so now im just using a personal hotspot, and surprisingly the speed rivals what I was getting with starlink!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 12:50 PM

Starlink works much better than hughesnet. It's faster and more reliable. If you're in Mex, buy it there, it's about 1/2 the price than in the US. You'll need an address to receive the hardware.

I don't know about moving the dish between the US and Mex.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 12:55 PM

To: Don Pisto: What will a firestick do for me?

To: SF and H: I prefer to order it to Mexico as I have a address it can be delivered. But if I still have the spanish problem, does me no good.
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 12:57 PM

There has to be someone on this site that has order Starlink to Mexico and know whether it can be setup to use English only.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 01:02 PM

There has to be someone on this site that has order Starlink to Mexico and know whether it can be setup to use English only.

I ordered it here had it shipped to DSL in rosarito mounted the dish plugged it in all was in english, couldn't have been easier. if you're gonna buy VPN it'll connect seamlessly with firestick....

John Hiatt
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 01:10 PM

Yes, I have Starlink in Mexico, and I use English only for all my sites, other than my Mexican bank which allows me to switch to English on the first login page. The previous posters indicated a lot of the websites advertisements that will be displayed will default to Spanish, as Mexico is where the IP is located.

The problem we did run into was accessing our financial sites in Canada as they wanted us to be in Canada and recognized we were logging in from Mexico, so they locked us out of access. There are ways around this, but tends to be different for each financial site.

Netflix was easily ported through the Firestick on my old account, same English movies but a lot of newer suggested ones were in Spanish. I assume if you just don't watch Spanish movies they will disappear as Netflix continues to learn your preferences.

[Edited on 6-23-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 01:26 PM

one of the cool things you can do with a VPN is by toggling it on and off you switch between netflix america and netflix mexico.....every once and awhile the mexican version will have a nugget

John Hiatt
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

The problem we did run into was accessing our financial sites in Canada as they wanted us to be in Canada and recognized we were logging in from Mexico, so they locked us out of access.

This is precisely why you use a VPN. You select a Canadian VPN server using the VPN software and it will assign a Canadian IP address to your computer.

The bank thinks your sitting under a pine tree drinking Labatt beer, and eating cheddar cheese and Canadian bacon. It doesn't know about the palm tree, Pacifico beer, tacos, and frijoles.

[Edited on 6-23-2023 by SFandH]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 01:41 PM

To: SF and H: I prefer to order it to Mexico as I have a address it can be delivered. But if I still have the spanish problem, does me no good.

You can figure it out. You're in Mexico, learning some Spanish is a good idea.

Find a tougholdwoman who speaks a little Spanish to help you.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Find a tougholdwoman who speaks a little Spanish English to help you.
Better to learn from a native speaker. :light:

And certainly a better cook. ;)

tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 02:41 PM

You can figure it out. You're in Mexico, learning some Spanish is a good idea.

Find a tougholdwoman who speaks a little Spanish to help you.[/rquote]

I've been here 27 yrs and still don't speak spanish. I'm told old to start now.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-23-2023 at 02:51 PM

I've been here 27 yrs and still don't speak spanish. I'm told old to start now.

What was your excuse 27 years ago?

It's unbelievable to me that anyone would live in a foreign country for 27 years and not speak at least basics in the national language. It's disrespectful, not to mention shows a complete lack of interest in the country and its people.

No one is too old to learn another language unless you are cognitively impaired. It will help keep you younger in mind and spirit than sitting in front of the TV will.
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 04:39 PM

I guess cause I'm in a wheelchair and don't get out much to speak to other and learn. Where I'm at I had no internet or phone svc for over 20 yrs. So no way to learn.

So if that's disrespectful so be it. You wouldn't speak it either if things were reversed.

But thanks for your imput.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.