Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Starlink Mexico
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by tougholdman  
I've been here 27 yrs and still don't speak spanish. I'm told old to start now.

With that attitude, you probably are.

Time to hang up your spurs, find a nice grave site and hop in. :lol:

Come to think of it, if those spurs are silver, I'll take 'em off your hands. ;)

I'm 87 yrs old and in a wheelchair. SPURS...lol
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 04:44 PM

Can we get back on track. If you're not interested in helping, please bypass my post.

Again I'm 87 yrs old, in a wheelchair past 20+ yrs and what good would spurs do me.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 05:02 PM

I guess cause I'm in a wheelchair and don't get out much to speak to other and learn. Where I'm at I had no internet or phone svc for over 20 yrs. So no way to learn.

So if that's disrespectful so be it. You wouldn't speak it either if things were reversed.

But thanks for your imput.

Sorry to hear you are disabled. I can see where you might not need to speak Spanish if there are few people you come in contact with.

But I'm not sure how you think people learned other languages before there was internet. They may have never even had anyone around to speak that language with, but simply wanted to learn it because they might have some need for it in the future, think they might want to travel to other countries.

People have always been able to learn languages from books and also there are language tapes.

I took my car to a Mexican mechanic one day and he spoke perfect English. While he had his worker put the car up on the hoist and check some things out, I was making small talk with him and said he must have lived up north at some point and he said "No, why?" I said because he spoke perfect, completely unaccented American English, as if he was born and raised in middle America. He said he learned English from watching English language TV shows since he was a kid. Then he told me he was also teaching himself German and Japanese, as he wanted to travel to those countries, so wanted to be able to converse with people and read what was written around him- street signs, shop names, newspapers.

People learn new languages out of interest and motivation, which it is clear you didn't have. It really has nothing with having internet or a phone or other people to speak that language with. Anyone who can read can learn a language, or anything else, if they want to.

[Edited on 6-25-2023 by surabi]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-24-2023 at 09:58 PM

T,O,M,

Ignore Surabi! In answer to your question Starlink Mexico is about 40% of the US price. It’s transparent to everything I’ve used with it. The way not to get stuff in Spanish is to get a VPN service in the US and don’t let your apps and programs use your location. You can also force a language choice on most search engines.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2023 at 07:22 AM

To answer your question, if you get roaming then yes starlink will work in both Mexico and San Diego. I have the Mex roaming service and use my starlink in both locations. The hardest part of a starlink install is routing the wire to the dish through walls and such so I bought a second wire and installed one each permanently in my house in San Diego and in my house in BoLA so now I just travel with the modem and dish. Simple install when I get to either location.
One caveat, starlink says if you roam to a country where the monthly fee is higher for more than 2 months they may charge you the higher rate. I haven't tested that yet. I'm usually in San Diego for 3 months so we'll see what happens this summer.
Hope this helps.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-25-2023 at 03:29 PM

To Surabi! The first 7 yrs i was here a week every couple of month off and on. Then an accident put me in a wheelchair. Apparently most off you have never visited Mexico. I didn't even have internet until about 8 -9 yrs ago and living in the hills where my closest neighbor being 1/2 mile away, I don't see to many people.

When you're in a wheelchair, the mexican people don't just run to your house to help you learn spanish.

Anyways enough on the subject. i do speak enough to get me by if spoken to me slowly.

[Edited on 6-25-2023 by tougholdman]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2023 at 08:04 PM

LarryC,

StarLink dropped that2 month thing. You can stay as long as you want.
baja-chris
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2023 at 02:45 PM

Just an FYI, I found the 5GHz frequency the Starlink router defaults to does not readily travel through the common block and concrete wall construction found in Baja, even with mesh extenders.

I've since found the router can be set to use 2.4GHz which should work better but I've not taken my Starlink down to my Baja house to test this. We get DSL at our Baja house which is adequate for streaming and only $20/mo so not much incentive to drag the starlink equipment down.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2023 at 08:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja-chris  
Just an FYI, I found the 5GHz frequency the Starlink router defaults to does not readily travel through the common block and concrete wall construction found in Baja, even with mesh extenders.

I've since found the router can be set to use 2.4GHz which should work better but I've not taken my Starlink down to my Baja house to test this. We get DSL at our Baja house which is adequate for streaming and only $20/mo so not much incentive to drag the starlink equipment down.

Didn't realize the 2.4 ghz would penetrate concrete better, thanks for that info. We got around the issue by using wireless extenders and local Ethernet links, but I may try the 2.4 ghz as well .

[Edited on 6-29-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
tougholdman

[*] posted on 6-28-2023 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
LarryC,

Well that solves things for me. I'll pickup a Starlink System at Best Buy this weekend. Use a San Diego address and find someone down here to install it

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-28-2023 at 03:12 PM

LarryC,

Well that solves things for me. I'll pickup a Starlink System at Best Buy this weekend. Use a San Diego address and find someone down here to install it

isn't that gonna cost you twice as much for gear and monthly?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2023 at 08:53 PM

LarryC,

You want to use your baja address for your initial account signup, using google plus code from google maps, but, when you get approved to receive the dish based on your (cell availability) home address in Baja you can request for the dish to be shipped anywhere you want, such as USA, to be carried by you en route to baja, when you are not in your home cell in Baja you will be roaming on deprioritized mobile service, when in crowded cells, but, you will be at the Mex rate, not USA, which is %50 less.

Order everything you think you might want for mounting and usually one would buy extra cable, one for permanent home and one for mobile or emergency, Ethernet adapter to use with other routers or setup Mesh or additional hard wired Access Points, mounts, poles, etc.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2023 at 02:26 PM

Don P,

If you are going to use it in Mexico, it’s way cheaper to buy it in Mexico.according to StarLink’s latest weasel words your unit must be delivered to Mexico if you want the Mexican deal. If you buy a US unit you pay the US monthly plus Roam to use it in Mexico
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2023 at 03:45 PM

There's other things like that, too. For instance, a Costco membership is cheaper in Mexico than NOB. But a membership can be used in any Costco anywhere.

And my Telcel Sin Limites works in Canada when I am up there for 1 to 2 months and is dirt cheap @ 200 pesos/month for unlimited texting and calling to anywhere in Canada,the US and Mexico. You can only pay for Sin Limites for a month, and so when it's due to run out, I just get a friend in Mexico to go to Oxo and put another 200 pesos on it. (You used to be able to pay for more time by calling *133#, and using your crrdit card, but Telcel put a stop to buying more time from out of the country)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2023 at 04:15 PM

I do the same with my Telcel phone. Cheap!

Hey Starlinkers. Does the IP address the system assigns reveal your location? I imagine Starlink has a pool of IP addresses to use for its subscribers. I'm wondering if the address you get is a function of your location. From a system point-of-view, that's not necessary.

This website will tell you where "the Internet" thinks you're located.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

[Edited on 6-29-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2023 at 04:23 PM

That's why I was able to top up my Telcel Sin Limites from Canada two summers ago, but couldn't last summer. I guess Telcel started reading out-of country IP addresses when trying to recharge and kiboshed that. But I guess they haven't gotten more sophisticated in realizing we can just get someone in Mexico to top it up.

[Edited on 6-29-2023 by surabi]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2023 at 04:24 PM

SH&F,

You need a good VPN from the States if you want to show as being in the US. Some of the better services do work with streaming content providers.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2023 at 04:26 PM

Thanks, I know all about VPNs. You didn't answer my question.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2023 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
That's why I was able to top up my Telcel Sin Limites from Canada two summers ago, but couldn't last summer. I guess Telcel started reading out-of country IP addresses when trying to recharge and kiboshed that. But I guess they haven't gotten more sophisticated in realizing we can just get someone in Mexico to top it up.

[Edited on 6-29-2023 by surabi]

Yes, but I'm wondering about Starlink IP addresses.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2023 at 04:30 PM

If you mean your actual location, I doubt it. It does reveal you’re in Mexico. On the other hand that might be a function of apps that get your location when you use them.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.