Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Temporary (Paper) License Plates
BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 09:23 AM
Temporary (Paper) License Plates

I'm picking up my new truck Monday and will be on temporary paper plates. We have 2 Baja trips planned in the next month and my old truck just isn't reliable enough anymore. Does anyone know if there will be any problems crossing the border or driving in Baja on temporary plates? Is it possible to add the new truck to my Sentri before getting permanent plates? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 09:38 AM

Four years ago, I drove to La Paz and back with paper plates. No Problem.

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 08:10 PM
Update on Temporary Plates

Crossed the border with temporary (paper) license plates without any problems at all. Also, I was able to register my vehicle with Sentri with the temporary plates. Approved in 1 day. The CBP guy didn't say a word about them. Hope the info helps someone.
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2023 at 07:12 AM

Should have no problem with paper plates.
As for Sentri, your paper plate and real plate numbers will not be the same number.
That being said, if you are willing to pay the $35 to add your new paper plate number and pay an additional $35 when you get your real plates, it is possible.
Believe it or not, you will even get confirmation of approval in about 2 days.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-25-2023 at 08:10 AM

All three of my new Tacomas crossed with paper plates, and they were leased...
JUST be sure you have Mexican Auto Insurance, full coverage...
If it is an existing, long-term policy you already have, make sure to get that modified to show the new truck info.

Here we are on the beach near Cielito Lindo with the new '05 Tacoma, no plates. Baja Angel is examining the sand dollars...

Here is my new 2010 Tacoma on the beach near Bahía Santa María (I still have this one, I bought it from a lease, 135,000 miles later, "oh, what a feeling":

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2023 at 09:36 PM

David, I guess you have a thing for gray Tacomas! I'm glad to see someone else brought their new truck to Mexico too. I've owned my Tacoma for 3 weeks, already been to Baja twice!

Nowadays the temporary plates have 7 alphanumeric digits, just like permanent plates. Makes getting Sentri with the temporary plates easy. Also, changing my Sentri to the permanent plates took 2 minutes online, and was free. Baja Bound insurance required a phone call.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2023 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
David, I guess you have a thing for gray Tacomas! I'm glad to see someone else brought their new truck to Mexico too. I've owned my Tacoma for 3 weeks, already been to Baja twice!

Nowadays the temporary plates have 7 alphanumeric digits, just like permanent plates. Makes getting Sentri with the temporary plates easy. Also, changing my Sentri to the permanent plates took 2 minutes online, and was free. Baja Bound insurance required a phone call.

We (and Toyota) like to call the color 'silver metallic' and yes, it is a great color for keeping the truck cooler and does not show how dirty it usually is!
I never considered getting a Sentri even though we used to go to Baja a lot. I just cross back north at Tecate, on a weekday, and there's little to no wait.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 10:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

We (and Toyota) like to call the color 'silver metallic' and yes, it is a great color for keeping the truck cooler and does not show how dirty it usually is!
I never considered getting a Sentri even though we used to go to Baja a lot. I just cross back north at Tecate, on a weekday, and there's little to no wait.

Well if we are being pedantic, I believe your Tacomas are actually "Silver Streak Mica". After having a Black Sand Pearl Tacoma, I am happy to now own one in Lunar Rock. Definitely cooler, and shows way less dirt.

I got Sentri for free as part of Global Entry. I don't know why any US Citizen would apply for Sentri for $120+ when Global Entry includes Sentri and TSA Pre Check for only $100 and has a significantly shorter wait time. Sentri really helps when traveling through Mexicali. I prefer to avoid Tecate, and Otay is usually really quick with Sentri. Highly recommend Global Entry if you travel internationally via land or air.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2023 at 09:12 AM

Great information, thank you!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.