BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SUP from Guerrero Negro Lighthouse (Los Gaviones)
BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2023 at 03:51 PM
SUP from Guerrero Negro Lighthouse (Los Gaviones)

Planning a trip to Baja in a couple weeks and thinking about Guerrero Negro. Does anyone know anything that would prevent me from taking my paddle board to the end of the road to the Guerrero Negro Lighthouse and paddle boarding across to the dunes? Looks like they might be fun to explore for an hour or two.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-9-2023 at 04:08 PM

Stand Up Paddlboard ? I was scratching my head wondering what SUP meant, and this is my guess.

I was out there, but never got in the water. Nomad Shari would probably have good information for you. Sounds like fun, unless you travel with a 90 pound dog!

[Edited on 7-9-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-9-2023 at 06:47 PM

I would think sup is allowed there. I would hesitate to leave my car there if it was full of toys and luggage…

Laguna manuela and estero coyote are better lagoons for sup.

In all the lagoons beware of wind. Winds come up quickly, and hard to paddle sup in chop or upwind.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-9-2023 at 07:09 PM

The only possible problem that I can see is when whales watching is going on. I am pretty sure there are restrictions on who can be out there un-guided.

That probably won't apply for the next few weeks, but my knowledge about the Guerrero Negro is marginal at best.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-9-2023 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The only possible problem that I can see is when whales watching is going on. I am pretty sure there are restrictions on who can be out there un-guided.

That probably won't apply for the next few weeks, but my knowledge about the Guerrero Negro is marginal at best.

No gray whales in summer

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2023 at 07:22 PM

Stand Up Paddlboard ? I was scratching my head wondering what SUP meant, and this is my guess.

I was out there, but never got in the water. Nomad Shari would probably have good information for you. Sounds like fun, unless you travel with a 90 pound dog!

[Edited on 7-9-2023 by AKgringo]

Yes I do mean Stand Up Paddleboard. And my dog is only about 14lbs, but she loves to ride along!

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I would think sup is allowed there. I would hesitate to leave my car there if it was full of toys and luggage…

Laguna manuela and estero coyote are better lagoons for sup.

In all the lagoons beware of wind. Winds come up quickly, and hard to paddle sup in chop or upwind.

Thanks for the info. My truck would be empty. I never leave anything in my truck in Mexico if I am not in it or within eyesight of it. We will definitely be paddleboarding Laguna Manuela as well. Estero Coyote looks cool but is too far away for this trip. I just figured paddling to the dunes and letting the dog run around while we explore a little would be fun.

I think the whales are long gone until the winter.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-10-2023 at 12:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  

Does anyone know anything that would prevent me from taking my paddle board to the end of the road to the Guerrero Negro Lighthouse and paddle boarding across to the dunes?

Would a strong outgoing tide be a problem? Offshore winds? I've seen people on SUPs in Baja fighting their way back to the beach, not having any fun at all. Conditions were fine starting out, then the tide changed, and the wind came up.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-10-2023 at 08:31 PM

You can easily paddleboard all along the canal which is amazing bird watching but at the end of the road by the lighthouse has wicked strong currents that you wouldnt be able to paddle against and may get swept out the mouth to sea! Maybe at slack tide but I wouldnt do it on an outgoing tide at all.
While in GN you can camp or at least stop by and see Sirenita my daughter at her new place.

Hacienda Baja Magic offers refuge to a wide variety of Baja travelers. Stay in spacious suites with private bathrooms & a sitting room or cozy glamping tents with king or twin beds.
The Bunkhouse is a hostel style with a queen and 3 single beds perfect for families or budget travelers or park your small RV’s in our camping area.
Guests love to hang out together in the Clubhouse to have a drink, snack or meal and socialize with other Baja travelers. Have some fun in the games room, relax in the pool, get a massage, play pool, watch a movie, play music & dance. The gallery features work from local artisans & artists.

Relax or camp in ROSAS GARDEN or enjoy a beverage, snack or meal amongst the trees & plants. There is a kid’s playground to keep them occupied. It is a perfect venue for parties or celebrations with a BBQ area, kitchen and bathrooms.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-10-2023 at 08:43 PM

Beachseaker,

If you park your truck in a empty lot you might want to disable your ignition. That’s a really good idea if it’s a popular (in Mexico) truck.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.