Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trailer towing question
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-11-2023 at 04:34 PM
Trailer towing question

Hello all there you i don't really nomads out there.

It has been many years since I've told a trailer in Baja California in I am going to be doing a small teardrop trailer in and out of Mexico on occasion in the future i was wondering which oh good entry points will let you go in and out with a trailer and are there any new rules related to that that I should know about.I have noticed I never see any trailers in the San Ysidro lineSo I'm assuming they must be going through Otay Mesa or somewhere else.Any help you people can give me I will surely be appreciative of that Thank you very much.
Bruce

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-11-2023 at 05:58 PM

I have only pulled my small utility trailer down the peninsula twice in the last ten years, but I have learned a few things in the process. I crossed once at Otay Mesa, and once at San Luis Rio Colorado with no problems at either entry.

In addition to current tags and registration, make sure the trailer is covered on your Mexican insurance policy.

I go oversize on my tires, and adjust the air pressure according to the weight I am hauling. Large and soft takes a lot of bounce out of the ride!

I also carry as much weight on the tow vehicle as I can to take advantage of the better suspension. I used air bags to level the rig with the extra tongue weight on the receiver.

If you are planning on driving at night (north or south of the border) make sure your final configuration doesn't have your headlights aimed too high or low.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 01:45 AM

I've crossed both north and southbound at San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, and Tecate with utility trailers and a 16' four-horse trailer. No problems at any of the crossings. Your small teardrop should not have any problem either.

Driving to/from Ensenada, I would cross at San Ysidro to avoid cross town streets and intersections. City traffic is stressful, particularly when towing a trailer.

Northbound from Tecate is a tight squeeze for the longer rigs. You would want to be in the left of the two lanes for a wider turn.

Upon entering Mexico, you will be asked for your trailer registration, the original document, not a photocopy. Make certain that your VIN matches the paperwork. I had to stamp VIN numbers on one utility trailer to avoid further hassles entering Mexico.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 02:26 AM

Hi Bruce. Nice to see you here. I am just a lurker here remembering some good old days. BTW I just built and opened a new restaurant this year and still driving the RAM everyday! Good to see you busy. If you make it up the Coast Hwy in Oregon please do stop in for some fresh oysters at Sharks. Bueno suerte with your trailer crossing and travels.. Corky

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
I've crossed both north and southbound at San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, and Tecate with utility trailers and a 16' four-horse trailer. No problems at any of the crossings. Your small teardrop should not have any problem either.

Driving to/from Ensenada, I would cross at San Ysidro to avoid cross town streets and intersections. City traffic is stressful, particularly when towing a trailer.

Northbound from Tecate is a tight squeeze for the longer rigs. You would want to be in the left of the two lanes for a wider turn.

Upon entering Mexico, you will be asked for your trailer registration, the original document, not a photocopy. Make certain that your VIN matches the paperwork. I had to stamp VIN numbers on one utility trailer to avoid further hassles entering Mexico.

X2

BTW, Nice to see some familiar nome de plumes again!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 08:18 AM

Wow, a lot of the old gang is still alive and kicking (and trailering!!)
Nice to see a decent, informative post.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 08:42 AM

I glossed right over the line where you said "to Ensenada". You can probably ignore most of my reply, which was more about exploring than setting up in a place you already are familiar with.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 09:22 AM

I have always subscribed to the idea that sidewall flex and resulting higher temperatures are tough on trailer tires. I have had good luck keeping them fully inflated.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 09:35 AM

Holy moly, Bruce, Maderita, Loretana, Sharks-freeking-baja, on same post. If Pompano chimes in.....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I have always subscribed to the idea that sidewall flex and resulting higher temperatures are tough on trailer tires. I have had good luck keeping them fully inflated.

With smaller trailer tires, or heavy loads, I agree! That is why I modified my trailer to run the same wheels and tires as my tow vehicle. Fully loaded (firewood etc) I run the same pressure as the tow vehicle. With just camping gear I air-down on highways, and way down on beaches and back roads.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

With smaller trailer tires, or heavy loads, I agree! That is why I modified my trailer to run the same wheels and tires as my tow vehicle. Fully loaded (firewood etc) I run the same pressure as the tow vehicle. With just camping gear I air-down on highways, and way down on beaches and back roads.

Not a fan of running auto tires on trailers. If ever in an accident, may be liability for ignoring all directives to run only trailer tires on trailers. I like goodyear endurance, one of the few trailer tires that provides load inflation tables for varying loads (most trailer tires specify one pressure fits all).

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 10:40 AM

Hi Bruce and Sharks!
Interesting what brings out replies here.
Hope you and everyone else is doing well and enjoying life.
One day, we will get to Newport and enjoy your fixings, I hope!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Holy moly, Bruce, Maderita, Loretana, Sharks-freeking-baja, on same post. If Pompano chimes in.....

If only Pompano would chime in!!

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
... I like goodyear endurance, one of the few trailer tires that provides load inflation tables for varying loads (most trailer tires specify one pressure fits all).

As far as I know, the Goodyear "Endurance" is the only trailer tire made in the USA. More expensive than other trailer tires, but worth the higher cost in reliability and safety. Many offshore trailer tires are notorious for catastrophic blowouts. I have Goodyear Endurance tires on 2 of my trailers.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
... I like goodyear endurance, one of the few trailer tires that provides load inflation tables for varying loads (most trailer tires specify one pressure fits all).

As far as I know, the Goodyear "Endurance" is the only trailer tire made in the USA. More expensive than other trailer tires, but worth the higher cost in reliability and safety. Many offshore trailer tires are notorious for catastrophic blowouts. I have Goodyear Endurance tires on 2 of my trailers.

They are a bit spendy. I usually buy online, then get my local shop to install. I like them because their specs allow changing pressure to match load, and most other tires dont have specs that allow that.

[Edited on 7-12-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 06:44 PM

Popping in to say HI BRUCE!!!! Happy to see your name on a post :D
Safe and pleasant travels amigo, T&L
And SHARKS Corky Omgoodness -- U2 !!!

[Edited on 7-13-2023 by CaboMagic]

[Edited on 7-13-2023 by CaboMagic]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-13-2023 at 06:18 AM

thank you

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-14-2023 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sharksbaja  
Hi Bruce. Nice to see you here. I am just a lurker here remembering some good old days. BTW I just built and opened a new restaurant this year and still driving the RAM everyday! Good to see you busy. If you make it up the Coast Hwy in Oregon please do stop in for some fresh oysters at Sharks. Bueno suerte with your trailer crossing and travels.. Corky

Man, your reviews of the restaurant are off the charts. Kudos for making the new location work in the face of the pandemic.

I am going to Oregon this summer but not that far south.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.