chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2023 at 01:42 PM
lpg gas in BOLA?

Anywhere to have a bottle filled?
mrioux
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2023 at 06:07 PM

Just to the right of the big metal sail boat structure as you come into town. Used to be a small sign, they do laundry there as well. Good people and they speak english.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2023 at 06:14 AM

Thanks!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2023 at 10:51 PM

Brisa and Marco fill propane. She also has a fish packing service, launch and retrieve your boat, laundry, and more. West side of the road, just before the Sailboat round about.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 07:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
Brisa and Marco fill propane. She also has a fish packing service, launch and retrieve your boat, laundry, and more. West side of the road, just before the Sailboat round about.

P>*)))>{

Good intel!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 04:51 PM
Another possible source for propane

The trucks serving their regular customers all carry any adapters they might need to fill loose tanks or RV mounted units. If one is working near you, it wouldn't hurt to ask for a fill up.

I was staying at Campestre Maranatha just west of La Paz once when one of the RV owners asked the management where to go for a fill up. They called their propane company which sent a truck over to top off the camp's tanks, and anyone else that needed some.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Almost
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 07:02 PM

Maranatha is a great spot that we've used numerous times when needing to do business in The Peace. Accommodating, relaxed and all the facilities a traveller needs on a short stay.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 09:17 PM

Not to hijack the thread but I saw that the 1 lb one time use canisters are going to be fazed out. And a refillable 1lb canisters will replace them. Great for many that don't want to haul around a big tank. And less waste in the landfall.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2023 at 07:25 AM

There are adapters sold that make it possible to refill the 1 lb cylinders from a larger tank. I have never done that, but there are videos online showing how it is done.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2023 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
There are adapters sold that make it possible to refill the 1 lb cylinders from a larger tank. I have never done that, but there are videos online showing how it is done.

Works like a charm. It helps to cool 1 lb tank before filling, one hour in freezer would do. You keep 20 lb tank horizontal or slightly tilted downwards, to get the liquid flowing, you can hear the sound, then it stops. With a little practice you will fill it same full as the store bought.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2023 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Great for many that don't want to haul around a big tank. And less waste in the landfall.

I'm all for less waste in landfills, but metal is recyclable and doesn't really end up much in the landfill, at least in Mexico. It's worth $. There are trucks that go around collecting metal. I save all my metal garbage- cans, hardware bits, rusted out wheelbarrows, all of it, and when I have a load saved up, take it to the metal recycling place, where they weigh it and I usually walk away with a couple hundred pesos.

[Edited on 7-22-2023 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-22-2023 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Works like a charm. It helps to cool 1 lb tank before filling, one hour in freezer would do. You keep 20 lb tank horizontal or slightly tilted downwards, to get the liquid flowing, you can hear the sound, then it stops. With a little practice you will fill it same full as the store bought.

You are a suicidal idiot if you refill the disposable tanks. They are not designed for pressure cycles, they may fail spectacularly

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2023 at 08:11 PM

Thank you for an articulated and informative response, mtgoat666, no doubt you have experience with the item. I think the risk/reward of refilling 1 lb tank everyone should decide for himself. After consulting the Goat, of course.

More on 1 lb tank refill: https://www.campingforfoodies.com/is-it-safe-to-refill-1lb-p...

Below is the list of common causes of tank explosion - note that some of it don't qualify as "normal use" :):

Open bleeder valve - open flame could cause a fire, and if other propane tanks are stored nearby, this heat could cause bleeder valves to open on the other tanks, expanding the fire and resulting in a chain reaction incident.
(Personal note: why would anyone store many full tanks next to the working tank, 1 lb is easy to bring to the stove when the first one dies).

Odor fade. If the odor chemical is not properly added, or if it has been some time since the tank was filled, the odor could become undetectable, leading to a propane leak being undetectable as well. (I guess, same applies to any tank).

Reckless behavior. One of the most common causes of a propane tank explosion is improper use or reckless behavior around a propane tank. This can include purposely putting a propane tank on fire or near a heat source or using a propane tank as target practice for firearms.

Fires. If a fire starts anywhere in the vicinity of a propane tank, this could lead to a disastrous event if the fire reaches the tank. (I guess, same applies to a properly used tank of any capacity).

[Edited on 7-23-2023 by Alm]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-22-2023 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Thank you for an articulated and informative response, mtgoat666, no doubt you have experience with the item. I think the risk/reward of refilling 1 lb tank everyone should decide for himself. After consulting the Goat, of course.

I gave you my consult! Good luck! You’ll need it!

4 exclamation points!

[Edited on 7-23-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-23-2023 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Not to hijack the thread but I saw that the 1 lb one time use canisters are going to be fazed out. And a refillable 1lb canisters will replace them.

I wonder what the mechanism will be to make them refillable only by the factory?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2023 at 10:32 AM

If the new design can be filled where larger tanks are, or from your own larger tank, it could open up some possibilities.

Imagin having a dual fuel dirt bike. I would rather carry a couple of metal propane cans than a plastic jug of gasoline for a back up.

Propane does not have the same performance as gasoline, but it is safer and usually cheaper.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2023 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
I wonder what the mechanism will be to make them refillable only by the factory?

Convenience. No need to implement restrictions to address a non-existent problem. :light:

Pretty Convenient to walk into my shop, hook up to a bigger tank and fill myself. Ain't no money for Da Man that way tho.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-23-2023 at 11:45 AM

you can buy bottles that are designed to be refilled (you can buy em at amazon) but they don't give em away (about $20 a bottle)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 08:02 AM

I bought a weed burner at Tractor Supply and wanted a small cylinder for ease of handling. At the time, the 20 lb cylinder was half the price of a 5 lb size.

I bought the larger one, but only use it about 1/4 full so I don't have carry as much weight around.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Pretty Convenient to walk into my shop, hook up to a bigger tank and fill myself.
Agreed.

But I'm talking about the real world. I'd wager that very few folks who use those 1-lb. propane cylinders are able or willing to do that.

It's the willing part. The able part is easy, adaptors are a dime a dozen and many people have the BBQ tanks.

Propane here is 8.34 right now so well worth filling all ya got.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.