Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: South Dakota Plates for Cal car in Cabo
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 03:55 PM
South Dakota Plates for Cal car in Cabo

Hello all - I recently drove my California registered car down to Cabo and left it at my house their California DMV isn't happy I've canceled my US liability insurance. Of course it doesn't make sense for me to pay US insurance on a vehicle now permanently in Cabo. I have insurance through Baja Bound but now need to solve my registration issue so looking at South Dakota.

Who does everyone use to register their cars in South Dakota?

Thanks everyone for your help.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 04:00 PM

There are several threads on the site about this. Here's one:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=68010

Search on "South Dakota" to find more info.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-16-2023 at 05:34 PM

Email danielle.davis@claycountysd.org or google clay county and call them. You need to copy your DL and SS card then fill out a couple of forms. You can pay on line after they give you a total. They don’t require US insurance.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-17-2023 at 06:27 PM

Call these people, super helpful and friendly. In April I went and stayed one night there to get my DL. Everything was a piece of cake... except getting there. The final leg involved a $1600 alright cab ride,

Super simple and pretty cheap to do just rego online/mail but you do need a "residence" there and that is where the people in this link come in.

Talk to them.

https://americasmailbox.com/contact

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-17-2023 at 08:00 PM

SD plates are the way to go my pick ups off road truck. sxs and all dirt bikes. win win
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-17-2023 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
In April I went and stayed one night there to get my DL. Everything was a piece of cake... except getting there. The final leg involved a $1600 alright cab ride,

For that kind of money you could have flown round trip to Anchorage and gotten an Alaska address, drivers license and registration. Construction workers have been doing it for decades to get "local hire" preference on some major projects.

The process is very comparable to South Dakota, no smog is required, you can do two years at a time, and AK plates are more interesting than SD.

[Edited on 8-18-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 09:45 AM

In what might be related to the topic of SD plates, I just read this article in an RV magazine that implies that SD might stop allowing non-residents to establish a domicile in the state.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
In what might be related to the topic of SD plates, I just read this article in an RV magazine that implies that SD might stop allowing non-residents to establish a domicile in the state.
To my knowledge, registering a vehicle in SD has nothing to do with declaring a residence there and certainly doesn't give one the right to vote in that State.

When I registered my vehicle in SD I completely and honestly explained my situation in that I lived in CA but had a vehicle in BCS and wanted to register it in SD. They jumped at the chance to do that for me.

They were more than happy to sell me fifty cents worth of pot metal with a 10 cent sticker for around $70 per year knowing full well I was never going to drive on and wear out their roads or even contribute one iota of air pollution to their State.

She looked up the registration fee for my specific vehicle, asked me to send them my pink slip along with a check for the amount and then wanted my address where I wanted them to send the plates to.

In Memory of E-57
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
To my knowledge, registering a vehicle in SD has nothing to do with declaring a residence there and certainly doesn't give one the right to vote in that State.

When I registered my vehicle in SD I completely and honestly explained my situation in that I lived in CA but had a vehicle in BCS and wanted to register it in SD. They jumped at the chance to do that for me.

They were more than happy to sell me fifty cents worth of pot metal with a 10 cent sticker for around $70 per year knowing full well I was never going to drive on and wear out their roads or even contribute one iota of air pollution to their State.

She looked up the registration fee for my specific vehicle, asked me to send them my pink slip along with a check for the amount and then wanted my address where I wanted them to send the plates to.

It's good to know that remains an option. It seems mutually beneficial between the state of SD and those wishing to register their vehicles there.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 01:44 PM

We used South Dakota license plates for years and always found the people/ladies in the Clay County office very professional, polite and helpful.

When President AMLO offered the amnesty program allowing a person to get a Mexican license plate without having to return to the US-Mex border, we took advantage of his offer.

Funny story...in order for us to get a MX driver's license we were told since we are both "senior citizens" (over 65) we had to get a "certificate of health" from a physician. So we go to a doctor next to a pharmacy and told him what we needed. I was weighed and my height was recorded, the hubby was only weighed. Each of us received a piece of paper that was signed by the doctor...it read we were healthy. Cost was $140 pesos total. Whiling driving back to the Mexican DMV the hubby said..."guess we were considered healthy since were able to walk into the clinic without assistants"

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 09:33 AM

Clay County in SD is the way to go for license plates. If you’re looking to get a South Dakota driver’s license the Escapees RV group can help, but you’ll have to handle the transaction in state.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 06:11 PM

I have 2 vehicles registered in SD.
It was a simple call to Clay County, sent them my docs and they sent me registration and stickers.
I no longer need to travel to Cal to get smog checks.
All business with Clay County is handled by phone or online.
Easy peesy lemon squeesy.
DL, residing and voting in SD are totally separate issues.
I only need registration for my vehicles.
Gerald

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geraldalexander7  
I have 2 vehicles registered in SD.
It was a simple call to Clay County, sent them my docs and they sent me registration and stickers.
I no longer need to travel to Cal to get smog checks.
All business with Clay County is handled by phone or online.
Easy peesy lemon squeesy.
DL, residing and voting in SD are totally separate issues.
I only need registration for my vehicles.
Gerald

I've had mine for a long time I also used a phone call and snail mail but now I've got a car waiting for me up there and was hoping my daughter to have plates, reg, and title waiting for me, now do they require a copy of DL or SSN along with completed app and check? who did it all online? gracias
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 06:26 PM

you need a valid US driver license and a US address
nada mas

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 09:28 PM

The SD registration is a tax/fee dodge for cheap a$$ retirees in Calif, baja, etc.. sD doesn’t like out of state cheap skates because some vote blue.
:P

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2023 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The SD registration is a tax/fee dodge for cheap a$$ retirees in Calif, baja, etc.. sD doesn’t like out of state cheap skates because some vote blue.
Do you even have the ability to offer someone a helpful answer?

In Memory of E-57
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2023 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

Do you even have the ability to offer someone a helpful answer?

Some here have heavy judgment about getting SD plates. They think it's a way to beat the system and save money. That might be true sometimes but I don't think about those people. Whatever the reasons, SD helped with the red tape of being an out of state resident dealing with a vehicle that's in Baja (most of the time).

Colorado gave me a waiver for emissions for my Class C one time.

Second time I asked for one, they refused and said they wouldn't allow me to renew my plates without an emissions test and when I said the RV was in Baja, they said I needed to drive it back for the test.

They also said if my RV was in Baja more than Colorado, I needed to register the vehicle there.

All because of an emissions test.

Clay County in SD is the way to go. Rhonda (if she's still there) was very helpful and always asked for her.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-20-2023 at 02:25 PM

worth noting the requirements to import a car into mexico, it had to be built in north america....if you're like me and have a 4runner, thank you south dakota ;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-20-2023 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Colorado gave me a waiver for emissions for my Class C one time.

Second time I asked for one, they refused and said they wouldn't allow me to renew my plates without an emissions test and when I said the RV was in Baja, they said I needed to drive it back for the test.

They also said if my RV was in Baja more than Colorado, I needed to register the vehicle there.

All because of an emissions test.

CO govt makes sense. If everyone sought repetitive emissions waivers by simply saying the vehicle was out of town, then everyone would avoid fixing their emissions problems.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-21-2023 at 08:20 AM

Wow talking about a marooon from the the state of no law . Yes sir your one :oof those that voted for them . Made Ca a war zone thank you for your service. Talk about cheats look in the mirror .
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.