Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Building in Baja?
lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2023 at 06:53 PM
Building in Baja?

Of all of the houses or facilities I've been in in Baja - I've never see a basement. Is there good structural reason for this? Is it a lack of backhoes or excavator availability? Is it a soil compatibility thing? It can't be high water tables. In MT most homes have basements and the ground insulation factor is wonderful - I would think it would be great for Baja as well - especially in the heat.

Maybe I've just never been in the right house but I'm very curious why?

[Edited on 8-18-2023 by lewmt]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2023 at 09:44 PM

Cost prohibitive for the average person.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 07:05 AM

Lewmnt,

There are lots of good sized in-ground concrete tanks built for waste and water storage. We have several. Basements are uncommon in residences. I have seen a few homes cut into hillsides in Baja.

I imagine flooding is a consideration in many areas.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 08:06 AM

I thought the major reason for a basement is to get the house foundation below the frost line and also keep under-the-floor water pipes from freezing. I have never seen a house in San Diego with a basement.

On the other hand, every house I've seen in New York, where I grew up, has a basement.

[Edited on 8-18-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 08:33 AM

Frostline is a consideration, but basements are also incredibly stable for temperature regime. Cooler in heat, warmer in cold. I can see why it is cost probitive to many although overall it can cost less to build down than build up depending on construction materials and finishes. Long term demands on energy use is a huge plus.

Just wondered why they are scarce. Thanks
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 11:33 AM

I see both half basement and full basement around the El Dorado area of San Felipe. The half basement are usually done to keep under the height limits and allow a garage other rooms on the lower level. These home are common.
The only full basement I looked at the lower level was a full parking area/garage. The main floor had high square footage. Just the thing for the owner with lots of vehicles and still wanted a normally looking home.
Anyway so called basement are not a problem to build what you want or need.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 12:12 PM

Basements aren't really a warm weather thing, are they? I only see them back east.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2023 at 12:35 PM

Basements are all over in Southern California, especially in older areas like Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange, and LA
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 10:46 AM

Grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and have never seen a basement. A two or three story home kept the ground floor garage and storage area cool.

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.