Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The Gold of Northern Baja NEW BOOK
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2023 at 07:16 PM

bajaric, I was just at the San Diego History Center last week while visiting Balboa Park. If I'm not mistaken, it's in the lower level of the building that houses the model train museum. I'm not sure what is involved in arranging to see something like his collection, but it would certainly be fascinating no doubt. Wow, what a time that must have been and what a character "Juan Colorado" must have been. A simpler time with a different set of problems!

I wish I had known about your book when I was in California as I certainly would have ordered one. I'll be sure to have one waiting for me when I get back home to visit family next time!
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2023 at 10:41 AM

To see the book on amazon.mx I selected "translate" then checked "books" and entered search keywords "baja gold" and viola!

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Gold-Northern-Baja-History-Travel/...

550 pesos

Kindle direct publishing, a subsidiary of Amazon, makes their books available anywhere in the world. They print and ship each book as they are ordered. Each book has the location where it is printed on the last page. I got one author's copy that was printed in Texas, and another printed in Monee Illinois, both shipped to California. If someone ordered one in Mexico I do not know where it would be printed. Only one way to find out, someone buy one!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2023 at 06:57 PM

Very cool, Ric!
I just checked to confirm mine was also there, in Mexico: https://www.amazon.com.mx/Baja-California-Land-Missions-Davi...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-11-2023 at 11:20 AM

Thank you for your interest.

The book has far surpassed all of my or anyone's expectations and is now in its 13th printing!

Self-publishing requires a lot of input and assistance (if you are lucky like I have been). After the first printing, Sunbelt Publications (who publish Harry Crosby's, Greg Niemann's, and one of Graham's books) wanted to be the distributor for it. That helped get it into bookstores, libraries, and on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

It is no Harry Potter book and nobody can live off any Baja book sales, I don't think? It was a great experience and showed that interest or love for knowledge of these historic artifacts, was not limited to just me.

I long ago broke even, but it was not a huge expense, and I only print 100 to 200 copies at a time, so that makes it possible for someone with a small income to publish their own book. Baja Bound also asked to have an ad in the book after that first printing in 2016. That was most appreciated!

I have been very fortunate, but there again, I did a really good job with it. I put in it what I would want to know about the missions (who, what, when, where, and why) and to show me what needed to be corrected from earlier books published. My personal library has most of the books written about the missions. Fortunately, these books and letters of the missionaries have been translated. My book is also the first English book with the history of the Dominican missions, that was 'unearthed' and documented in 1960, but never used by English book authors, after then. Maybe they didn't know about those works?

So, I am very happy with the project, thank you!
I sell the books myself, along with all the other outlets mentioned above. The bonus, if you buy from me, is free U.S. shipping and the book gets signed and dated. Go to www.oldmissions.com and I will mail your copy when the post office next opens!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

hiker_dave

[*] posted on 11-29-2023 at 05:33 PM

Hi Ric, really excited to hear about your book! I just ordered a copy a few minutes ago! I'm a prospector and mostly prospect in the mother lode area. I also spend a lot of time in Loreto and am interested to know if you have any information on that area. I'm planning a road trip to El Arco next week, any tips?

Thanks!!
Dave
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2023 at 09:38 AM

Hi Hiker Dave, check your U2. Thanks for buying a book.

The California mother lode was pretty amazing; the gold in Baja was just peanuts in comparison. It is a quirk of history that the "Californios", Spanish and then Mexican cattle ranchers that colonized the mission towns in the coastal areas of Alta California in the early 1800's never made it east across the San Joquin Valley to prospect the Sierra Nevada. If the Mexicans had found the gold there before the Mexican American war we might all be speaking Spanish.

LaPazGringo, yes, the History Center is in Balboa Park. In the basement. They used to let people browse the collections for free but now there is a fee except for a very small window of time so not as user friendly as they once were.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.