BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: I bought another Isuzu Trooper Baja rig!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 09:51 AM
I bought another Isuzu Trooper Baja rig!

I bought my first Trooper four years ago (a 1999 model) and after a lifetime of driving back roads and off road, it became my favorite ride. While all SUVs have to balance the needs of highway vs off road performance, I think that the Trooper did the best job, at least in the age and price range I can afford.

As much as I love that rig, if the automatic transmission needs repair or servicing, parts are not available, so I bought one with a 5-speed manual tranny!

It's a little older (1994) but it only has 297,700 miles on it. I am thinking that a veteran Trooper deserves to celebrate 30 years and 300K on a Baja run! What do you think?

[Edited on 8-28-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 09:59 AM

in the 90s I owned an '86 trooper. :thumbup: it was fun.

[Edited on 8-28-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 10:38 AM

Photos?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 11:07 AM

Good for you, AK!
Yes, let's see the photos, please.
As goat shows, 'Joe Isuzu' would be happy!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 11:47 AM
Photos?

It is an absolutely stock 1994 Trooper, kind of silverish color, Google it! It has a few minor blemishes, but nothing like I have done to my other Trooper (yet).

I was just thinking of the adventure aspect of driving a $600, high milage vehicle to a remote part of Baja.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 12:01 PM

No problem....what could possibly happen?.....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

It's a little older (1994) but it only has 297,700 miles on it. I am thinking that a veteran Trooper deserves to celebrate 30 years and 300K on a Baja run! What do you think?

[Edited on 8-28-2023 by AKgringo]

Swing by Autozone and get a tow strap. ;)

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 02:56 PM

I loved my Trooper and wish I still had it...it was a bit narrower so nice on the highway here.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 06:16 PM

I suppose that you are mechanically inclined or will have it thoroughly checked out before the trip.

I'd suggest that the cooling system is critical.:!: A friend went through two warped heads/blown head gaskets on a Trooper.
Don't let it overheat! Replace all hoses and belts. Definitely replace the thermostat w/ best quality parts. Flush radiator if needed. Replace the coolant with fresh. Pressure check the cooling system for leaks.

At 300k miles, you might consider bringing a case of motor oil! :biggrin:
¡Buena suerte!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 10:16 PM

I had an '86 Trooper and loved it off road and did really well in the sand. It was a 4 cyc they really had valve problems. I liked it so much I had the engine rebuilt twice. Then bought a bare bones '92 Explore that shocked me how well it did in the sand. Launched my panga without any troubles and pulled stuck riggs out more than a few times. Sold it and the panga to a local Nomad. I've had 3 Explores since and none played well in the sand.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2023 at 07:55 AM

Having a little 4x4 down there should be fun.

I bought a 1999 Chevy Tracker. I am putting a new timing chain kit in it before the run to Baja in November. Seems like there is a lot of those things in Mexico.

We love to head to the mountains when the northern winds start ripping and beach camping is not fun. If you see a silver tracker with BC plates broke down on Mex 5, it will be me.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-29-2023 at 08:14 AM

I made quite a few trips in my older Kia Sportage, which is very similar to your Tracker except the Kia uses a Mazda engine instead of the Suzuki motor that is in your Chevy. The Trooper is more mid-size, with heavier duty parts and drive train.

I still have a 4x4 Sportage 2 door soft top that is a lot of fun to drive. There are a lot of metrics used to compare vehicles, but the one that impresses me with the little Kia is "smiles per dollar".

I wouldn't mind taking it south again. At least your Tracker was sold and serviced in Mexico, the older Kias were not, so you have a better chance of finding parts and service.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-29-2023 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
I suppose that you are mechanically inclined or will have it thoroughly checked out before the trip.

I'd suggest that the cooling system is critical.:!: A friend went through two warped heads/blown head gaskets on a Trooper.
Don't let it overheat! Replace all hoses and belts. Definitely replace the thermostat w/ best quality parts. Flush radiator if needed. Replace the coolant with fresh. Pressure check the cooling system for leaks.

At 300k miles, you might consider bringing a case of motor oil! :biggrin:
¡Buena suerte!

Mechanically inclined is not a good description of my skills. I'm more of a Youtuber with an assortment of tools (when I can find them).

Agreed on the cooling system service, and I already bought most of the new stuff. I also intend to change out all the gear oil in the drive train.

A case of motor oil is a bit extreme....maybe just a bottle of STP? :D

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-29-2023 at 11:48 AM
Son of a gun...it passed CA smog!

The Trooper had been sitting for eight months with an almost empty tank, and a severely corroded set of battery posts and cable ends.

I cleaned things up, changed the oil and filter, air filter, topped off the old gasoline + chemical cleaners, then drove it around for a day. It passed on the first try, so I think I will buy it a new windshield.

That should bring me close to $1000 into a fairly capable 4x4.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 07:57 AM

Good idea AK on manual trans as you know I like moving gears 3 of my 4 trucks Manual . All old 92 toy off road 96 ram 4x4 diesel 2014 Nissan 4x4 diesel. Manual less likely to fail cheap to fix. all my old rigs on factory Clutch . hope to see you again
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 08:17 AM

I have always enjoyed shifting for myself, but after a lifetime of clutching (sometimes double clutching) my left hip is degraded and takes the fun out of driving in city traffic or off road.

This is the second time I have had identical vehicles at the same time with standard, and automatic transmissions. With the Sportage, and the Troopers, I have found that the automatics perform better off road!

Make that three times, the same was true with my 3/4-ton Suburban's in Alaska.

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 01:48 PM

As a mechanic, I would say that they are the Audi of Japanese vehicles. Parts are not as easily available as the big three Japanese vehicles, they are hard to work on, and not as intuitive. I would stick to Subaru Toyota or Honda.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 02:09 PM

I agree with your assessment from a mechanics point of view. When I bought my first one, it was half the price with half the miles of comparable SUVs. For what it is worth, the engine in my 1999 is the same one used in the Honda Passport.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 02:35 PM
Lo siento....no Baja for this old trooper!

I was looking forward to Baja pin striping the old Trooper, but an extended family member is in critical need of a work truck and this rig will serve his needs far better than anything else he can afford right now.

It is probably for the best anyway for several reasons. The engine and drive train would probably be fine, but the suspension feels loose all around. Four wheel drive (hi and low range) seem trouble free, but the crawling ability is not nearly as good as my "99" which has "torque on demand" that does a great job of maximizing traction.

The five speed manual would probably take a toll on my degenerating left hip anyway. I think I will service the automatic in my "99" well ahead of schedule and hope that it makes another round trip!

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Having a little 4x4 down there should be fun.

I bought a 1999 Chevy Tracker. I am putting a new timing chain kit in it before the run to Baja in November. Seems like there is a lot of those things in Mexico.

We love to head to the mountains when the northern winds start ripping and beach camping is not fun. If you see a silver tracker with BC plates broke down on Mex 5, it will be me.

I have a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara at LA Bay. Tracker is essentially the same built by Suzuki for Chevrolet. Great little car. Surprising amount of room in front. I'm 6'5" and have plenty of head and leg room. Which is pretty amazing. A real truck ladder type frame, 2-speed transfer case, V-6. Put on some larger mud-terrains and a 2 1/2" inch lift with good shocks. Awesome little 4 wheeler.

[Edited on 9-11-2023 by Doug/Vamonos]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.