BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: border crossing questions in TJ with dogs
seapop

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 12:32 PM
border crossing questions in TJ with dogs

Hi all, planning a trip for September'ish in my camper van with my two chihuahuas. Planning on crossing at TJ southbound and Tecate coming back (maybe a month or three later)..
here are a few questions that I could use some help on:

1. best crossing time of day for both locations?
2. I have health/vaccination papers for my dogs (even though I guess I don't need them anymore).. do they really get personal inspections or examinations on the other side?
3. do they really check on how much dog food I am carrying?
4. I am buying two leash restraints that hook to the seatbelt slot or looped around the headrest.. will these be acceptable in Mexico?
5. current restrictions on fresh meats I might be carrying?
6. most recommended Mexican camper insurance to buy?
thanks so much for your help...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 01:10 PM

Crossing south through TJ - do it before 3 PM, that's when southbound starts to back up.

I've crossed with dogs, in both directions many times. I've never been asked for any dog-related documents. But, you never know.

The other items, I don't know except buy car insurance here, it's all online.

https://www.bajabound.com/?r=nomad

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 02:47 PM

I cross with just one dog, but she is 90 pounds! I carry her food in a plastic tote with a lid and it has never been a problem, in fact the last trip they just accepted my word that it was full of dog food.

It is correct that you no longer need a health certificate heading south, and no one ever asked for it anyway. I have never seen or heard of anyone having their dogs inspected at the crossing, but I understand that it is a possibility.

Crossing northbound, I have been asked once by a US border agent at Tecate if I had shot records for my dog, but did not even look at them when I pulled them out of my lap top bag. I recommend that you carry at least rabies certificates.

I believe the harness and seatbelt or short tether set up will be fine.

To avoid any issues, why not just buy the meat south of the border?

Edit; By the way, welcome to the forum!

[Edited on 8-28-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
seapop

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 05:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, great advice from both of you.. I have really enjoyed reading the different discussions on your forum and happy to have joined. I don't have an agenda yet and will be playing it by ear when I get to Baja.
I actually have traveled to Mexico mainland and lower east coast of the Baja many times but always flew down for my explorations. This will be my first time driving in for an extended stay. Everything north of La Paz will be new to me. So I will be looking for any travel suggestions in this area as well.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 05:33 PM
What are you driving?

My idea of a great Baja run is exploring the back roads, and sometimes no road! I know a few developed places to stay, but most of the time I travel like a homeless guy living in a SUV with my dog.

I wouldn't want to recommend a trail that gets you in trouble.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
seapop

[*] posted on 8-28-2023 at 05:40 PM

As much as I enjoy roughing it.. won't be able to on this trip..
To determine if I really would enjoy camper-vaning, I bought a '93 chev camper van and then spent the last month tearing it apart and re-doing it to my liking. The down side is that she is a bit on the old side and top heavy and a gas hog, but as a proof-of-concept I managed to keep the costs down.. If I don't see doing it for a great length of time then not much lost. If I really get hooked then my next option would be to upgrade to a more modern diesel (sprinter?) and then really do it right. Right now with only rear wheel drive and low clearance, there will be no back roads for me.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2023 at 08:02 AM

1. best crossing time of day for both locations?
Tijuana southbound best time is definitely the early morning.
Tecate northbound, Tuesday through Friday afternoons best, the later the better. Do not go early on workdays it does back up. Monday is usually a terrible day as is Sunday.

2. I have health/vaccination papers for my dogs (even though I guess I don't need them anymore).. do they really get personal inspections or examinations on the other side?
Always carry current rabies vaccination proof. The rest is not necessary but take what paperwork you have regardless.

3. do they really check on how much dog food I am carrying?
No they don't but if you get the red light and draw the wrong inspector on the wrong day all bets are off.

4. I am buying two leash restraints that hook to the seatbelt slot or looped around the headrest.. will these be acceptable in Mexico?
They will be sufficient.

5. current restrictions on fresh meats I might be carrying?
The mad cow disease threat has expired and I have not heard of any problems regarding meat.

6. most recommended Mexican camper insurance to buy?
BajaBound as your broker. Make sure to get legal assistance included.

thanks so much for your help...
Have a great and safe trip.

[Edited on 8-29-2023 by Don Jorge]

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
seapop

[*] posted on 8-29-2023 at 08:19 AM

Wonderful advice, thanks so much!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-29-2023 at 08:42 AM
The timing of your trip.....

I drove south last year in September, right after Hurricane Kay. It was earlier than usual for me, but I wanted to see the desert in bloom, and do some four wheeling on some washed out back roads.

I accomplished both of those goals, and the scenery was spectacular! The downside of the early venture was that the heat and humidity was a bit more than I liked (particularly on the Cortez side).

Along with the humidity, there were a few places that had a bloom of insects that had me sweating, swatting, and swearing enough to break camp and find a spot on higher ground with a breeze.

Seeing a blooming desert made it a memorable trip, but you will be more comfortable mid-October to mid November. Unfortunately, you will also have shorter daylight hours.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.