BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Laguna Hanson ride info
DV

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 12:30 PM
Laguna Hanson ride info

As many of you know information is very important when venturing into Baja and this site is full of knowledgeable people that I?m hoping to get some valuable information from.

We are planning a trip from the Mex 2 at the top of the La Rumorosa to Laguna Hanson, then to the Laguna Salada by way of the El Mano Rd. Once we are at the dry lake bed we will head across the Laguna Salada and through the Sierra El Mayor Mountains, eventually ending up at our camp on the Rio Hardy. Our plan is to get dropped off on the La Rumorosa and ride to Laguna Hanson where we would like to stay the night, preferably under a roof somewhere around Laguna Hanson. Wake up the next morning, find gas and make our final ride to our destination.

I?m pretty familiar with Laguna Salada, but my main area of concern is finding my way from Laguna Hanson to El Mano Rd. We will have a few quads with us and I know we will be stretching the gas (85 miles) on the last leg, we really can?t afford to miss the turn down the mountain so GPS way points would be very helpful.

Any information or GPS waypoints would be appreciated.
1) What route is good to take to Laguna Hanson for both bikes and quads?
2) Where to stay the night around Laguna Hanson and how to contact them?
3) Where is the last stop to get some gas, preferably closest to El Mano Rd.?
4) Rough estimate of riding time from La Rumorosa to Laguna Hanson?
5) We may decide to go play in the sand dunes at Ej. Saldina at Mex 5 and then get picked up so information regarding the quickest, easterly route from the base of El Mano Rd would be appreciated as well.

Thank you much,
Dave
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 02:45 PM
WOW!!!!

You are covering a great deal of wild country in a very short time. If I were making that expedition, I would take at least 3 days, maybe more. Don't have any serious breakdowns as there is no (other than ranchers) help available for a long ways away. I am not aware of any gasoline along that proposed route, nor am I aware of any place to stay other than camping out. It is all beautiful country, but rough, primitive, and really BIG, with a lot of elevation change.

Other than this, I cannot help you as it has been too long since I have been there.

Good luck, and go really prepared, and self-sustaining-----

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 06:45 PM

Leaving Laguna Hanson toward El Rayo jct there is a place called Saw Mill that use to sell gas out of barrels. I haven't been there in a couple of years so I'm not surre if they still do. I'll check with some friends and see.

David K went down El Mono last year and has GPS way points. I think he posted his trip on here. If you scan back and look for his post or he may answer this one.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

exclamation.gif posted on 4-12-2005 at 06:45 PM
Laguna Hanson is high elevation.

About 4300 feet if memory serves me. Years ago two of us got caught out after dark on bikes with no lights. We were not prepared. We had to wait 'til the moon came up and escaped back to Rancho El Topo where we got help. It can get really cold up there when you wouldn't expect it. We had no place to put our brass monkey, and he still talks in a high squeaky voice. Be prepared. Have fun!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 06:53 PM

I'd expect temps in the 30's at night this time of year at Laguna Hanson. Maybe if you're reallucky 40's.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 07:01 PM

find some way to take more gas. and you should take 2 days at least.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 07:09 AM

DV, Tim Morton of Bajabound MC tours sent me this.

Saw Mill has gas. It's from Ramona - "Rancho Ramona". She also sells
beer, sodas, and snacks. She charges $4/gal. for Magna and $5/gal. for
premium........funny thing though, even when you ask for Magna she
charges you for Premium, like she doesn't have Magna.
DV

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 07:37 AM

Thanks much for the info. My main concern is the time frame from one of the Rancho?s where we would like to stay the night, to the base of El Mano, as well as the road condition, for me this is the unknown. I?ve spent a fair amount of time playing in and around the Luguna Salada, so I have a pretty good idea of that time frame and it seems that the ride from La Rumorosa to one of the Rancho?s would not be to grueling or time consuming.
Depending on how much time we want to spend in the saddle on the final leg we may just cut out a couple of hours by heading to Ej. Saldana, the issue with that is trying to figure an approximate pick up time in case I can?t contact camp.

Thanks again for the info.

Dave
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 07:47 AM

the pick up time should not be a problem if you work it right . tell your pick up crew that if you are not there when they git there to leave a big cooler of beer and come back in about 4 Horus with another.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 07:49 AM

Coming down from La Rumorosa to Laguna Hanson is a pretty smooth ride on a MC. Finding and coming down El Mano is something else. I haven't been on the El Mano trail for several years and the rains this year could have caused some problems. I think it would be a good ride to check it out.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 07:56 AM

DV David K's trip is titled Guadalupe canyon run etc. His GPS info will help you find the El Mano trail.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 08:02 AM

Dave, here are some of the waypoints (Map datum NAD27) from my GPS web page (linked in my web sites below) you need... This is from Guadalupe Canyon south to Cohabuzo then east to Hwy. 5 and south/west through El Mano canyon and up to Los Pinos on top, which you can find on the AAA map and get to from Laguna Hanson. There is possible rooms for you at Rancho Cimarron, a lodge east of the lake. I have the owners email if you want (U2U me). Oh, thanks to TW, I see my trip report for when I did Mano canyon is brought up to the top.:D

Guadalupe Canyon Entrance: 32?09.40'/ 115?47.29'

Cohabuzo Jcn: 31?55.74'/ 115?36.22' (Turn left/ east for next 2 waypoints)

Ej. Saldana Road (S): 31?50.12'/ 115?19.47'

Hwy. 5 & Ej. Saldana Jcn: 31?51.75'/ 115?10.92'

South of Cohabuzo 8.2 mi. is a fork, go right for El Mano (4WD): 31?49.81'/ 115?33.89'

Jcn. with road to left. Ahead-right goes up the mountain via El Mano canyon: 31?47.68'/ 115?36.65'

Rancho El Mano driveway left, road begins major climb: 31?48.56'/ 115?40.39'

Rancho Los Pinos, elev. 5,086': 31?48.77'/ 115?46.26'

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DV

[*] posted on 4-13-2005 at 08:36 AM

Bruce, LMAO, you are a veteran!

Thanks David. I?m a little concerned about the recent rains and the El Mano rd and the fact that we may have some less experienced riders with us. So we?re going to set up somewhere on the Ej Saldana road and pre run as far up as possible and then plan a future trip, hopefully before summer.

Thanks again,
Dave

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.