BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sentri - How Long Did It Take?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2023 at 09:18 PM
Sentri - How Long Did It Take?

Know there have been multiple threads, all asking similar questions but figured I'd ask this specific question and get current info:

After you submitted your Sentri applicatio online, how long did it take until you received your "conditional approval" via the CBP website?

Not the scheduling of appointment time - we'll deal with that later!

This one is for a friend.....

Thanks,
Ateo
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2023 at 10:20 PM

Best to submit for Global Entry. It gives you Sentri privileges.

The only benefit to applying for Sentri direct is if 1) you have minor children, as they are free or 2) you are an foreign resident, GE isn't available

Four data points I have regarding GE times:

1. Me - 4 years ago

Took about 6-7 weeks for conditional approval. 4 weeks to schedule interview.

2. My two minor sons - 4 years ago

About 3-4 weeks for conditional approval. 2-3 weeks to schedule interview.

3. My daughter - 9 months ago

Got a conditional approval in 1 week. Did her interview somewhere around SFO.

4. Wife - 9 months ago

Got a conditional approval after 6-7 months (note she was born in Tokyo, so that might have had an impact)

She is going to do her interview at the LAX airport in 2 weeks when we come back from Europe.

There are many ways you can accelerate the interview schedule. Search the board for those as we've had a bunch of discussion on that.

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 05:50 AM

Assuming it is their first time applying, the conditional approval can take anywhere from a week to 6 months. Not sure how busy/behind they are right now.

It seems like they do use some sort of prioritization policy however. I have friends with young kids who are approved within a week. And it took 2 years for my last re-application to be approved (but they said I could just use my expired card, so not a big deal).

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 07:05 AM

Thanks for the wait times JZ Your post brings up a question I have had for quite some time:

Why does Sentri (Land, Air, TSA Pre) cost $122.50 and Global Entry (GE) (Land, Sea, Air, TSA Pre) cost $100? Seems you get more with GE and wait times are less to process (supposedly) with GE. Doesn't make sense to me but maybe someone here knows.

I seem to remember applying for Sentri 10 years ago and then at the final appointment the dude just said, "You want GE too?" I said, "Sure" and it was done.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Best to submit for Global Entry. It gives you Sentri privileges.

The only benefit to applying for Sentri direct is if 1) you have minor children, as they are free or 2) you are an foreign resident, GE isn't available

Four data points I have regarding GE times:

1. Me - 4 years ago

Took about 6-7 weeks for conditional approval. 4 weeks to schedule interview.

2. My two minor sons - 4 years ago

About 3-4 weeks for conditional approval. 2-3 weeks to schedule interview.

3. My daughter - 9 months ago

Got a conditional approval in 1 week. Did her interview somewhere around SFO.

4. Wife - 9 months ago

Got a conditional approval after 7-8 months

She is going to do her interview at the LAX airport in 2 weeks when we come back from Europe.

There are many ways you can accelerate the interview schedule. Search the board for those as we've had a bunch of discussion on that.

[Edited on 9-8-2023 by JZ]

[Edited on 9-8-2023 by Ateo]
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 09:54 AM

last year renewal for my wife and kids took a couple of months. for me it was 16 months, no idea why. Key is to start the process before the card expires and this gives you a couple of years grace after the card has expired. One thing i learned about the the GE vs sentri thing is that as a non resident of the US you can get GE, but it is passport based, you cannot be issues a card and therefore it cannot be used in the sentri line even though you are approved. We tested this first hand...
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 10:43 AM

My wife was approved in two weeks (and she was born in Jalisco)

Mine took 19 months, including some serious prompting from two congressmembers (and I was "born in the USA" as Bruce sings.)

The system is totally broken!!! Sad to say.....
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  
last year renewal for my wife and kids took a couple of months. for me it was 16 months, no idea why. Key is to start the process before the card expires and this gives you a couple of years grace after the card has expired. One thing i learned about the the GE vs sentri thing is that as a non resident of the US you can get GE, but it is passport based, you cannot be issues a card and therefore it cannot be used in the sentri line even though you are approved. We tested this first hand...

I've used my GE card in the Sentri lanes without a problem.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Mine took 19 months,

That is a little bit excessive.

It’s like waiting for tickets to something Uber popular. I have been waiting for NFR season tickets for almost 2 years.

Some people are on the wait list for decades to get packers season tickets…

:o

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Assuming it is their first time applying, the conditional approval can take anywhere from a week to 6 months. Not sure how busy/behind they are right now.

It seems like they do use some sort of prioritization policy however. I have friends with young kids who are approved within a week. And it took 2 years for my last re-application to be approved (but they said I could just use my expired card, so not a big deal).

Thank you BJM!

This is her first time applying so hopefully it goes quick. I need to add her daughter as well and it seem like when I did mine a long time ago I could attach the kids to my account, but this time it looks like I gotta do it separate. Will check tonight!

I want a Boojum in my backyard someday. Gotta see if they grow in San Diego. Probably not.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 06:23 PM

If it's GE they need separate accounts for sure.

I'm guessing Sentri can be 1 account. As minor children are free under Sentri.

[Edited on 9-10-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 11:55 AM

We renewed our Sentri this June 364 days before my wife's card expiration date knowing that once you start renewal you are good to go even if your card has expired. It took two days to get email with "conditional" approval. A little less than three weeks on July 12th we got an email that we were approved for renewal. On August 10th we got new replacement cards in the mail. On 11/1/2014 all Sentri card holders were grandfathered into Global Entry. I remember that because we flew home from Bali to LAX on October 31st at 10:00 PM and spent 90 minutes in the customs line. GE is what I have recommended to friends and family when they ask about Sentri.

YMMV

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 08:15 PM

Thanks El Gato, I'll post back here for others once she receives her approval so we have some up to the minute info...........if she gets approved! Hope all is well with you.
:thumbup:
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2023 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

Thank you BJM!

This is her first time applying so hopefully it goes quick. I need to add her daughter as well and it seem like when I did mine a long time ago I could attach the kids to my account, but this time it looks like I gotta do it separate. Will check tonight!

I want a Boojum in my backyard someday. Gotta see if they grow in San Diego. Probably not.

I live in San Diego and have had a Boojum in my back yard for a little ove 25 years. It is still alive but probably hasn't grown an inch in that time.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 9-11-2023 at 10:00 PM

Got mine and my wife’s approval to schedule appointment in 2 days. Then got lucky and found 2 appointments for us at Otay and from start to finish was a week total. We had our cards in the mail about 2 weeks later.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2023 at 10:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
Got mine and my wife’s approval to schedule appointment in 2 days. Then got lucky and found 2 appointments for us at Otay and from start to finish was a week total. We had our cards in the mail about 2 weeks later.

Wow! That is an amazing turnaround. I’m hoping for something similar! Last time I just called the San Ysidro office and was able to get in after someone canceled an appointment.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2023 at 08:43 AM

Earliest date available for me @ Otay Mesa for a renewal interview is May 2024

Es Todo Bueno
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2023 at 01:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Earliest date available for me @ Otay Mesa for a renewal interview is May 2024

This was posted on here some time ago: You can move your Sentri/Global Entry appointment to an earlier one, it's very easy. Just log into the Trusted Traveler website in the morning, and go to reschedule your appointment. Appointments are released around 11 every morning, and you after you find one, you can move it up. Take any appointment just to have one, then keep checking every day, and you can keep moving it up until you find one that you want.

I moved my appointment up to the next week doing this. It works.

[Edited on 9-13-2023 by tjsue]
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 09:56 PM

The key for appointments is to check back all the time. Cancellations happen.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2023 at 11:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

Thank you BJM!

I live in San Diego and have had a Boojum in my back yard for a little ove 25 years. It is still alive but probably hasn't grown an inch in that time.

Interesting about the Boojum! Sounds like it's capable of surviving but not thriving!
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2023 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
The key for appointments is to check back all the time. Cancellations happen.

Yes, but people don't realize that they can do that, and complain about the wait.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.