Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Specific hotel recommendations
Trunkrack
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2023 at 12:22 PM
Specific hotel recommendations

Hello Everyone,
My wife and I generally spend the majority of our Baja trips camping, but I've found that if we squeeze in a night in a hotel here and there, my wife is a lot more amicable to agree to a longer trip. The past couple of years we have hit up Serenidad in Mulege for a night, and have really enjoyed that place. The rooms are nowhere close to fancy, and the cost isn't cheap by Mexico standards, but we love the character it has, and each time we've stayed there we ended up meeting other travelers on their way North or South and had some great conversations over dinner.

Wondering if there are other similar places that have character like this that we should check out? Not looking for anything bougie, more something that may be rough around the edges but with character, and a bar/restaurant there or close by. We will be travelling from Mexicalli down 5, then 1 all the way south, camping on both coasts, just freestyling depending on what the swell and fishing is like, so basically all regions are open EXCEPT hwy1 from Laguna Chapala North.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2023 at 12:46 PM
Archelon's Camp

There are several nice casitas (with kitchen) at Campo Archelon a mile or so north of town in Bay of Los Angeles. A fairly new restaurant in the camp serves meatless meals, fancy coffee and is priced reasonably. Reservations for the casita are often necessary, so just dropping in, expecting a casita, may not work out for you.

Antonio is the person to speak with, 011-52-646-273-9936

John M

[Edited on 9-24-2023 by John M]
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2023 at 01:21 PM
Rancho Buena Vista

A few miles south of Las Barriles. We've not stayed there but did stop for drinks and a meal on two occasions. Right on the water, has a pool and palapa bar.

I looked at the hotel reviews and they seem to be hit or miss - I suppose depending on your expectations. The grounds were well-cared for and food good.

They have a website,

John M
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 9-24-2023 at 07:45 PM

Cuesta Real in Mulegé, has (had?) restaurant. El Morro in Santa Rosalia, Buenaventura on Bahía Concepcion, Shari’s B&B in Bahía Asunción (La Bufadora).

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2023 at 11:05 PM

We really enjoyed Rancho Buena Vista when we stayed there. We have never spent the night in san felipe but the restaurants on the coast are great for starting up conversations. People are very friendly, such a laid back atmosphere.

I also second shari in Bahia Asuncion since the inn makes it easy to meet folks.

La Bocana is won der ful but more of a place to meet local Merxicans. Almost all of them speak English and there are 3 first notch restaurants: Joaquins (must reserve), the beach restaurant with really good margaritas and lobster, and Jose and Chunkys place at the end of Calle Erizo for typical down to earth homemade Mexican food!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 9-24-2023 at 11:18 PM

Try the San Ignacio B&B in San Ignacio you stay in a palm forest next to a large river. You stay in a Yurt with a bath and AC. They have great food and a nice bar. They do dinner too.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2023 at 07:45 AM
Yurts

We agree with RFC, the yurts are an unique experience!

Huerta Motel just south of the mission is a way less expensive choice, and the restaurant next door (when open) is pretty convenient and opens early. There is a good market right there too.

John M

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-25-2023 at 08:46 AM
Hotel Hacienda, Mulege

I don't usually spend much time in hotels on my Baja runs, But I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Hacienda right in the center of Mulege a few years ago. It was almost a trip back in time to an older version of Mexico.

It is right next to the town plaza which can be interesting when they have a concert occurring. They have a bar and restaurant, and are in easy walking distance of others.

The rates were very reasonable, and they have secured off street parking.

[Edited on 9-25-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-25-2023 at 11:18 AM

my favorite old-timey hotel in baja is Malarrimo in Guerrero Negro. they also serve reliably good food.

i also like the san ignacio (and catavina) desert inn (prefer the catavina one).

there are some great places on the west side north of laguna chapala, but the OP specifically requested those recommendations be excluded

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2023 at 01:41 PM

Try to stay at Rancho Leonero (a bit So. of Los Barriles) for a Baja style experience. They are closing in December - sold to a Spanish developer I think.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-26-2023 at 11:16 AM

The Yurts in San Ignacio are nice, I also like the Oasis in Loreto, right on the beach. The Oasis has a restaurant and bar.
Trunkrack
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2023 at 09:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! Looks like there are plenty to choose from. Will take us a few trips to try out all these spots.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2023 at 10:19 PM

In April we stayed at Archelon and will do so again.

Hotel Kadekaman in Vizcaino is a place we have stayed a number of times over the years including a couple nights when our truck was in the shop last year. We ask for the Honeymoon Suite.

The Hotel Serenidad is our favorite in Mulege.

We had a late flight TJ/LTO last March and missed our bus to Vizcaino so we walked across the street to Hacienda Suites for the night and glad we did. Drove back down in April and stayed a night at the Oasis before boarding a ship. Location is hard to beat.

For 25 years the wife and I would camp for 2-3 days then find a place to get a hot shower, let someone else cook, rinse repeat. Some trips lasted three + weeks some less. Last year we had our first trip south with no camper and it was different but still b-tchin. Viva Baja.

YMMV

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.