Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making the run down Mex. 1
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 9-28-2023 at 03:44 PM
Making the run down Mex. 1

Hola Nomads,
We’re making a run south in about a week and a half. We’ll be driving down Mex. 1, spending the first night in San Quintin and then on to Bahía Asunción. I’ve read that in the recent past the highway between Ensenada and Maneadero is messed up due to construction. Is this still the case? If so, what would be the best time of day to drive this stretch of road?

After spending several days in Bahía Asunción we are going to continue on to La Paz for our fall Prosthetic and Orthotic Clinic. Any information on road conditions throughout the peninsula would be greatly appreciated, also if you know of a pet friendly (8 pound toy poodle “Coronita”) hotel in Loreto that’d be great too! ¡Gracias!

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2023 at 04:24 PM

They're still working on the road. This article says it will be finished by the end of November. I'm guessing that EARLY Sunday morning would be the best time. The second best would be other days as early in the morning as possible. I think most morning traffic is northbound, but I'm not sure.

https://www.uniradioinforma.com/sociedad/tramo-muerte-conclu...

Google: tramo de la muerte

[Edited on 9-28-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2023 at 10:38 PM

Safe travels!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-28-2023 at 10:53 PM

last week we made the trip from rosarito to punta banda left at noon returned a few hours later....yeah there's construction and traffic but we didn't find it to be any big deal, we were in no hurry. sit back and enjoy!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2023 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Paul, if you do a Google map from your house to Bahía Asunción, it just may show you the faster drive is to cross at Tecate or Mexicali and go down Hwy. 5. Overnight at San Felipe (5-6 hours from San Diego) or shorter drive via I-10 to 111 or ? if you are at L.A. or north. No construction mess, no 'dozen' farm towns and traffic for 200 miles from the border.

[Edited on 9-29-2023 by David K]

Hey David,
Under normal circumstances I’d drive down the 5, but on this trip I have to stop at the Flying Sam’s Clinic at the Los Pinos Ranch and pick up some supplies that I have stored there.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2023 at 12:14 PM

Understood!
Have a great trip and thank you for all the good you have been doing on the peninsula!! :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-29-2023 at 01:43 PM

Larry the Trailrider said that if the traffic is backed up there are easy alternate dirt roads going into Maneadero that quickly circumvent the construction
I know that years ago we used to swing around Maneadero on dirt roads to avoid that stupid "phone booth" checkpoint south of town.

In Maneadero, mid-town on the West side is El Recreo
Great quick food stop
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2023 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Larry the Trailrider said that if the traffic is backed up there are easy alternate dirt roads going into Maneadero that quickly circumvent the construction
I know that years ago we used to swing around Maneadero on dirt roads to avoid that stupid "phone booth" checkpoint south of town.

In Maneadero, mid-town on the West side is El Recreo
Great quick food stop

Any info on where to access these dirt roads?
Tacos Poblano is also a good go to in Maneadero, good food, clean facilities.
I went on google maps and it looks like Blvd. Zertuche near Costco parallels Mex. 1, but it doesn’t go as far as the Bufadora cutoff.

[Edited on 9-29-2023 by boe4fun]

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2023 at 07:23 PM

Google "Punta Banda Bulletin Board" then search "alterna". This is an alternate route around the construction traffic jam on Hwy 1 at Maneadero.

Apparently it has improved recently with the opening of a new lane on the highway and is not as bad as it was before so might not be an issue.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2023 at 07:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

Google "Punta Banda Bulletin Board" then search "alterna". This is an alternate route around the construction traffic jam on Hwy 1 at Maneadero.

Apparently it has improved recently with the opening of a new lane on the highway and is not as bad as it was before so might not be an issue.

Great to hear about the new lane opening, and gracias for the alternate route info.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2023 at 08:08 AM

Found this on Facebook, written 23 August:

"Used Alterna northbound today. The north leg had lots of mud at the maquiladora section. East leg reconnecting to Hwy 1 had deep pools("Lago Cuauhtemoc") and witnessed car stuck in it at approx 0945. If not driving high clearance vehicle, I would give it a few more days to dry.

Southbound Tramo(Hwy 1 from Chap Hill to Maneadero) was excellent this afternoon at 4PM.

Also, Ens-TJ toll road has loads of construction zones right now. Salsipuedes is slow and steady. Puerto Nuevo Nbound toll road is closed forcing traffic to Free Road. Looks like bridge work at K 45 northbound.
TJplayas toll road east to Via Int'l(along the rio) was best I have seen it since the landslide this spring. 2 lanes running each way today and 3 lanes each way plan to open September."

There is a map also.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/322426654507775/search/?q=al...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 06:42 PM

OK, change of plans. One of the more recent volunteers at our La Paz clinic is a Physical Therapist from Mexicali. Numa has an aunt who lives in Palm Desert, and because they frequently cross the border he has become the new “mula” to get parts down. I’ve contacted my resources in Alta California to ship his auntie used parts, so I no longer need to stop off at Los Pinos Ranch and we’ll be driving down the 5 instead of Mex 1. We will now cross at Mexicali east on Monday, October 9th. We will stay in the right hand lane and either park in secondary while they inspect or on the street in front of the INM. My questions:
Do we have to pay for the FMM’s in pesos, or can I use dollars or a credit card? If in pesos, is there a banco near to exchange money?
Gracias for any input.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 07:52 PM

I like to arrive at the border with a supply of pesos on hand, so if I don't have any left over from my last trip, I go to a local Wells Fargo here in Grass Valley that keeps some in their cash supply.

It might be worth your while to call around and see if any banks near you have some pesos they will swap for your dollars. I am not sure what they charge for the exchange, but it well worth it for the convenience of not having to find a Cambio when I am not always sure where and when I will be crossing the border.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 08:55 AM

Mexicali West: They take plastic, there is a bank teller in the same building as the INM desk, the building is on the LEFT as you near the border gates. Be in the left lane and park at the building BEFORE the electric gates. Otherwise as soon as you can, after the electric gates and walk into the building from the other end. INM and bank desks are near the north end.

Mexicali East, as I understand it, is on the RIGHT and the only parking is AFTER the electric gates. I have only come north through Mexicali East.

REQUEST: Can someone provide a map or directions for a Nomad going south from Mexicali East (to Hwy. 5). Is it well signed for San Felipe at each turn?

Thank you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 09:39 AM
GPS does it really well

Mexicali West: They take plastic, there is a bank teller in the same building as the INM desk, the building is on the LEFT as you near the border gates. Be in the left lane and park at the building BEFORE the electric gates. Otherwise as soon as you can, after the electric gates and walk into the building from the other end. INM and bank desks are near the north end.

Mexicali East, as I understand it, is on the RIGHT and the only parking is AFTER the electric gates. I have only come north through Mexicali East.

REQUEST: Can someone provide a map or directions for a Nomad going south from Mexicali East (to Hwy. 5). Is it well signed for San Felipe at each turn?

Thank you!

I know this is not the answer you requested, but I often go down to Guadalupe via Mexicali East, spend a night in Mexicali, my GPS just takes me right to the hotel and then on to 5, Rumirosa or wherever else I ask it to take me.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 10:05 AM

I have had poor results using my Garmin to get through Mexicali. Usually my troubles are finding the right route headed north, and even with the latest updates installed I encounter detours that don't jive with the program!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have had poor results using my Garmin to get through Mexicali. Usually my troubles are finding the right route headed north, and even with the latest updates installed I encounter detours that don't jive with the program!

Iphone maps app works great in mexicali. Waze seems to work too. I dont know anyone that uses garmin to navigate urban streets.

Apple and waze maps are great because they are AI that learns best routes, and shows you the real time traffic conditions.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 12:19 PM

Thank you!

Try plotting a route on apple maps app or waze. Both work really well.
There is some signage for san felipe, but depends on what streets you take. I dont recommend relying on signage, your phone app is pretty smart, use it!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 12:23 PM

From somewhere on the Nomads forum, pictures wouldn’t post though.

Mexicali crossing – Finding a good route after 20 years of experience.
Going South –
Always choose the non-declare gate. If an inspection is required, the border person will make a lane for you to park in. If you need an FMM ask for instructions and directions, then walk a short distance to the office. Pay the agent. No bank is required. Nowadays they use credit cards.

FMM-Mexicali-East.jpg

Driving south from the gates:
There are two choices the Google map choice and the city traffic avoidance route = East route.
I highly recommend the later which uses a left turn at the border exit onto the main boulevard then traveling east – south - west- south. This applies any time of the day due to easier drive. During busy times the left turn requires crossing the heavy traffic lane heading north. See the map.
Going north –
It is more complicated because during high traffic times morning and evening It gets tricky. During mid-day with light traffic both ways described will work, but some require hard turns or U turns to enter the border.
Again, there are two main choices the Google map choice and the city traffic avoidance route = East route.
Google maps only works for Sentri/Ready during high traffic. The reason is during high traffic you cannot enter Standard without driving east down the boulevard until you can make a U turn and enter the east route.
If you follow the East route, you will find you cannot make the right turn into the Sentri/Ready land either because of traffic or because a cop will wave you westbound. Going westbound past the border you will have to make a U turn to get into the left lane the Sentri/Ready. That lane eventually turns left into the border. During high traffic this way may no be [possible due to the long lines.
The East route is best and required for standard entry. See the map.
Northbound it is required to use Standard and as you approach the gate use the Right Lane.
Folks with trailers are required to use Standard far left (east) Lane. The only trailer seen in the Sentri are small utility ones. Don’t try it with a big one. The lane is narrow and the exit from the gate requires a hard right.
Overall map view explanation:
Green is Google Maps leading to Sentri/Ready. Blue is East route to Sentri/Ready. Red is East route to Standard.

Mx-E-All-ways.jpgAnd images near the border

Border-overview-1.jpg

The image above shows the two routes.
Use the Sentri/Ready path and get in the left lane when you turn east to allow a left turn into the border lanes. There are two lanes provided for S/R is the left lane is Sentry and right lane is Ready.
The Standard entry lane follows the truck route. And makes an easy right turn into a single border lane. That lane is now a generous single lane as it is too narrow for two lanes. Big improvement. As you all should know by now this is the only crossing for trailers and Motorhomes. If you do not follow these directions and try to turn into Standard Lane with a west approach you will have to go a long way to find a U-turn. Likewise, there is a cop that will prevent you from entering S/R lanes when the approach is from the truck route.

BTW, going southbound when using the truck route watch for the new sign “Rio Hardy -5”. There is a San Felipe sign that is dark and hard to read. Short left turn lane. Southbound following the S/R route is straightforward with no need for signage. Using the S/R route avoids left turn to follow the truck route at the busy intersection at the border exit.

Detail-1.jpg

The image above is self seems clear enough. When you get to the inspection station find one for Sentri and hardly any vehicles. The Ready Lane is full of vehicles and there are 4+ inspection stations. The Standard line opens to two lines and two inspection stations. Sometimes they open and extra lane for motorcycles – left of standard lanes. Rigs pulling small trailers have been observed in both lanes. The right lane is miserably slow.
Be aware there are new height limitations going north. The only lanes with no height restriction are the two lanes to the right (east side) used for buses and motorhomes. I do not know the clearances. I have been told it is less than 7 feet. That means a lifted truck will not fit. Do not expect the height limitation to be posted on the Mexican side.

boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 12:26 PM

Here’s another:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/azGnFQEikGiGmCMd8?g_st=im

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.